Thursday 31 August 2017

FRESHLY BAKED BROWN BUNS

FRESHLY BAKED BROWN BUNS


In 2009, when I was in South Africa, I joined the group (mostly ladies), called “Weigh Less group” to lose some kilos. I was successful, in six months I lost 13 kg (28 pounds), which was a considerable achievement, I was very happy. In that weigh less group, participants were supposed to attend the group meetings every week, where the group leader use to weigh us and after the weighing, there were discussions and lots of motivational tips and tricks were given to participants. Weigh less in South Africa is quite similar to weight watchers of North America.


In those weekly group meetings, together with the formula for different types of foods, lots of booklets were also given to the participants. Those booklets were full of information about healthy eating, meal planning and simple things which we should do and follow in our daily routine for a healthier and happier life because the ultimate aim was to lose weight. Here are few examples of the tips- 1. when you go shopping, park your car at a distance so that you will get a chance to walk a little longer, 2. Do not use the elevator, climb the stairs to use some calories.


Few others were very interesting – 3. Do not go shopping, when you are hungry, you will be tempted to buy unnecessary items particularly the high-calorie ones, which you will eat later and consume extra calories. 4. If you are on the “weigh less” program, during the grocery shopping, do not go in the aisle of cakes and cookies, otherwise, you will be tempted to buy them and eat later. That is interesting, isn’t it? I really enjoyed the whole journey of Weigh Less, where I lost a few kilos and gained a lot of good information about the healthy life style, which till today I am practicing in my life.


Personally, I have experienced that when I go for shopping in super markets, and if I am in the bakery section, the smell of freshly baked bread always attracts me and I am tempted to buy freshly baked buns or bread. And I have also experienced that whenever I go in the aisle of cakes and cookies, I am tempted to buy a few of them.



Coming to the recipe, bun or bread baking is not a difficult task, plus you can enjoy the smell of freshly baked bread in your own kitchen. The other benefit of home baked bread/bun is that we do not add any preservative etc so it is healthier to eat home baked buns or bread. This is a very simple recipe with few ingredients.

Special announcement about co-hosting Fiesta Friday for the 2nd time

I am excited and pleased to host this event for the 2nd time, called Fiesta Friday, which is the 187th week of this blog party. This blog post party is on from the last three years, and it will soon be celebrating the 200# week. In this blog hop, bloggers around the world share their splendid recipes through their blog posts and awesome clicks of the recipes. You can check the above link and join us. Please read the guidelines and follow them to get a chance to be a winner, who will be featured in the next week party. This is a wonderful way to meet and gain exposure and views of the other blogger friends. I am sharing my recipes with this group from so many months and I am assuring you that, this is a friendly, supportive and welcoming group. This week in Fiesta Friday, my co-host and I will visit each and every participant's post and comment on their awesome recipes, which is a normal procedure of this party.

I am co-hosting this event with Judi. If you are joining for the first time please link your post to the main page of Fiesta Friday my page Herbs Spices and Tradition and Judi's page Cookingwithauntjuju

I really appreciate and would like to thank Angie of Fiesta Friday who gave me the 2nd chance to co-host this event.


RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups brown bread flour/whole wheat flour
  • Half packet active dry yeast (packet is 10 grams)
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 tbs oil
  • more oil for coating

METHOD
  • In a cup, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water, add sugar to it. Mix well and leave it around 5 minutes till the colour of the water changes and becomes foamy.
  • In a big bowl take flour, add salt, oil and this foamy water of yeast, mix more water and make a soft dough, coat all sides with oil.
  • Cover with plastic wrap to let it rise (until double the original size). Keep it in a warm place for 1-2 hours to rise.
  • Punch dough down. Divide into 12-14 balls. Knead and tuck ends under on each one until top is smooth. Coat all sides with oil and place on a large greased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
  • Cover. Let bun rise until almost doubled in size.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F/180 degrees C, about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Remove onto a rack to cool.

40 comments:

  1. These rolls look really delicious! This recipe looks easy too. I have to break out my bread flour and start baking some homemade bread! Happy Fiesta Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, so nice of you. Thanks for your visit and the comment dear.Happy Fiesta Friday.

      Delete
  2. Nothing makes me hungrier than freshly baked bread. That smell must be one of the best things ever, so homely and comforting. A long time ago my Mom bought me a bread making machine. Do you think this recipe will work in there Sadhana?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, yes you are right, the smell of freshly baked bread is so comforting and nice.
      Bread making machines are mainly used for bread baking.You can check if there is option of baking buns in that machine then you can try this recipe,or just bake them in an oven, the recipe is very simple.

      Delete
    2. Thanks my friend. I'll give it a try

      Delete
  3. The buns look so good. Love the generous topping of sesame seeds. I too get tempted to buy cakes and other bakes whenever I pass the aisles, however you wouldn't be tempted to do so here because the cakes tend to be dry and not much fancy bread choice. However, shopping in India, UK and Canada... that's like just too much temptation. It was really nice chatting with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mayuri, Thanks very much for your comment dear. Yes, you are right,you can enjoy shopping only when nice things are available in the shop.I too enjoyed chatting with you that day,thanks for the call dear.

      Delete
  4. Definitely no shopping when you're hungry!! I relate to that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello fellow co-host. Your rolls look delicious and I agree that home made is always best. The preservatives in food can be overwhelming! I am a Lifetime Member of Weight Watcher's who unfortunately has not kept the weight off in the past few years - I still work at it though. Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judi,nice to meet you through Fiesta Friday. Thanks for your visit and the comment dear.Lets enjoy co-hosting Fiesta Friday.

      Delete
  6. home baked buns are the best..came out perfect

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on being able to co-hostess Fiesta Friday! Those buns look delicious! All those weight loss tips are ones I've heard in Weight-Watcher's, which I've been on several times. And it's true you have to avoid certain aisles in the grocery store. I go down all of them, but the ones that are tempting for me, I just don't look at. It's gotten better for me now. I'm not nearly as tempted anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much dear, good to know you are also on weight watchers. Thanks very much for your comment dear.

      Delete
  8. I am with you! The smell of fresh baked bread is a weakness of mine. All warm baked goods actually. So delish. I love that yours has a healthy slant, I need to try them. Not sure there is any better smell in the fall and winter than baking bread!!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki, I think everybody love the smell of freshly baked bread. thanks very much dear for your comment.

      Delete
  9. ooh nothing better than freshly baked bread! My weakness for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, yes it seems everybody loves it. Thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
  10. Your pictures make me want homemade bread now :-) Love all the goodies you put on top! Homemade bread is so tasty, I think it's time I make some. Thanks for sharing, my family would love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so nice of you Jennifer, thanks very much for your lovely comment and your visit.

      Delete
  11. These rolls look delicious! Freshly baked bread always smells amazing and I'm also tempted when I go shopping if it's somewhere where they bake their own. Thanks for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love these fabulous healthy buns for breakfast everyday! Thank you for sharing your lovely recipe with #CookBlogShare:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Monika for your comment. It is my pleasure to be part of this party.

      Delete
  13. Mmmm....these buns look delicious. I, too, am a sucker for homemade bread, so these are definitely going on my list of recipes to try. They look perfect for the coming fall weather. And I totally agree with not going shopping while hungry. I can always tell when I'm hungry at the grocery store, because I'm tempted by so many things that I wouldn't otherwise be. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you for your lovely comment dear. I think everybody likes the fresh home made bread.

      Delete
  14. Nice bread bun recipe, Sadhna! And those are great tips for a healthy lifestyle. Thanks for cohosting Fiesta Friday #187. I'm glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, thanks for your visit and the comment dear.Yes I have enjoyed co-hosting this event.

      Delete
  15. Those are great weight loss tips, Sadhna, and I love these lovely Freshly Baked Brown Buns. They look so tasty, and sound relatively easy to make. Thank you so much for sharing this homemade goodness with us at the Hearth and Soul Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww,so nice off you. Thanks very much for your lovely comment dear.

      Delete
  16. These look totally delightful! I love the outer crunchiness of brown bread with a soft center. Totally agree with all the weight loss tips too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice recipe for healthy lifestyle.
    Please subscribe my you tube channel view my latest video
    https://youtu.be/Io5ONnkL954

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shobha for your comment, I have already subscribed it.

      Delete
  18. My boys grew up on home made bread, it was the best way to stretch a tight budget with teenagers, but I was never able to get the brown bread texture the way I wanted it. Pinning to try as I much prefer brown bread and I know this recipe will be delcious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is nice, you can try my recipe Leanna, may be you will get the texture the way you wanted. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  19. These buns look superdelicious!!! Love your weight loss tips... I'm currently doing Slimming World and have lost 3 stone since the end of March which I'm delighted with. Walking as much as I can is definitely helping!!!! Thanks for entering your recipe into this month's round of Simple and in Season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, thanks for your comment dear, that is good that you lost 3 stones. All the best for future.

      Delete