Sunday 24 September 2017

CINNAMON ROLLS AND A POST ON A SPICE - CINNAMON

CINNAMON ROLLS AND A POST ON A SPICE - CINNAMON


Cinnamon is the oldest and most versatile spice in the world and is used in many savory and sweet items, a delicious spice which is used in the culinary world from ages. It is mainly used in cooking as a condiment and flavouring agent. Cinnamon is actually the bark of a tree which is removed and dried. Cinnamon sticks are long, brown and their shape is like a cigar. The sticks and their powder are both used in different cuisines. This spice is widely used in American, European, African and Asian cuisines, this is the reason it is a famous spice of the world.


In Indian cuisine, this spice is used a lot in savoury dishes like rice, lentil and vegetable curries, stews, yoghurt salads, drinks, coffee, tea and in many snack items. And it is also used in sweet items like cakes, cookies, murrabas (Fruit preserves), puddings, fudges, and traditional sweetmeats etc. It is also added in many spice blends of different states of India, the famous one is Garam Masala.


In Indian homes, it is not only used as a fragrant spice but also as a medicine. My mother always used it in a masala tea for the treatment of a sore throat, in which she added- cinnamon, honey, black pepper powder and clove powder. This masala tea really works and helps us to relieve symptoms of a sore throat, till today we are using her tea formula. According to Ayurveda, cinnamon is called the ancient healing spice of the world.



There are enormous health benefits of this spice; even scientific researchers have shown that this spice has a lot of health benefits. Check this website-


This article in the newspaper - “Washington Times” explains that Americans love cinnamon and they use it in all dessert recipes, pies, cakes, bread, rolls, coffee to mention a few. The title of the article was “Cinnamon unites cuisines of the World”. It seems when people adopted recipes from other cuisines, this spices also traveled with the recipes throughout the world.



This is a simple recipe, it is easy to make the dough like for bread or a plain bun and is very simple to spread butter and sprinkle the mixture of cinnamon-sugar, give round shape and bake it. My grandchildren love this cinnamon rolls, they happily take these rolls in their lunch boxes to school.




RECIPE

INGREDIENTS FOR DOUGH

  • 2 cups brown bread flour/whole wheat flour
  • Half packet active dry yeast (5 grams)
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp. oil
  • more oil for coating

FOR CINNAMON FLAVOUR FILLING

  • 2 tbsp. Cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp. butter

METHOD

  • In a cup, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water, add sugar and salt in it. Mix well and leave it - around 5 minutes till the colour of the water changes and becomes foamy.
  • In a big bowl take flour add salt, oil and this foamy water of yeast, mix more water and make a soft dough, coat all sides with oil.
  • Cover with plastic wrap to let the dough rise, let it double in size. Keep it in a warm place for 1-2 hours to rise.
  • Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl.
  • Punch dough down. Divide into 2 big balls. Roll the ball thin on a flat surface. Apply a thin layer of butter and sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top of the rolled out dough.
  • Cut long strips of the dough and roll giving round shape as shown in the picture.
  • Bake at 356 degrees F/ 180 degrees C for about 20minutes till they are golden brown.
  • Cool on a rack, this can be served hot or cold.

I am sharing this recipe as my blog post entry with Hearth and Soul blog hop and Meatless Monday










39 comments:

  1. That title in Washington Post is such a teaser, an appropriate one! I love Cinammon...in fact, I bought 4 boxes of apple cinnamon bars of Kellogg from Walmart yesterday ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, Alok,so you are truly an American :) :) . Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Yummy looking cinnamon rolls.Cinnamon is a wonder spice, adds flavor to both savory and sweet dishes. Like the new blog look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maayuri thanks very much dear for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  3. oh goodness! I bet those smell amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always such a pleasure reading your posts. You share the most interesting information and I would gladly take these in my lunch box too Sadhna. They look heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much dear Michelle, you words means a lot to me. Thanks for always visiting my blog.

      Delete
  5. You know, I always forget about making cinnamon rolls, until I see something like this that reminds me! Thanks for the reminder -- I'll make them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, this is a nice comment dear, thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  6. So, if cinnamon has so many great health benefits, does that make cinnamon rolls a health food? :D Just kidding. I do love cinnamon rolls, though I've never made them. I'll have to try your recipe! Cinnamon rolls taste particularly delicious in the fall once the weather has started to turn, so this post has perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, I love cinnamon rolls in all season, it seems you are right these are healthy because of the cinnamon.Thanks for your visit and the comment dear.

      Delete
  7. Cinnamon is my favorite spice, and cinnamon rolls are one of my favorite treats. These look delicious! I can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cinnamon too as it really is a versatile spice. I have to say I use it all the time in sweet and savoury recipes and would love to try your cinnamon rolls. Thanks so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so delicious! It's been too long since I've had a cinnamon roll. Maybe I'll give this a try over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love cinnamon rolls and these look delicious!x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cinnamon in both sweet and savoury dishes. These cinnamon rolls look so delicious Thank you for linking to #CookBlogShare.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my all-time favourite baked treats - reminds me of happy times in the USA! Thanks for entering them into Simple and in Season!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cinnamon rolls I must make them again soon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Cinnamon Rolls look amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cinnamon buns are so delicious, its been awhile since I made them, I have never tried them with brown bread flour, sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Leanna with brown flour they are healthy and tasty, Thanks for your comment,

      Delete
  16. Hello everybody ! I like this webblog very very much. Because there are too many information about herbal things which are helpful for us. Also ı want to suggest my own blog about herbal something. I work to write my traditional herbal information. For example;If you want you can visit to know something about natural fat burner tea. http://www.bookherbal.com/2017/09/amazing-natural-fat-burner-tea-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter makes cinnamon rolls, but I want her to try your recipe so I'm sharing it with her! Sadhna thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I am glad you liked my recipe and giving it to your daughter to try, thanks very much dear.

      Delete
  18. Sadhna, on Christmas morning we always pop some cinnamon rolls in the oven while we open presents, then eat them after with some coffee and hot chocolate. I'm lazy and use the premade rolls, but this year I am going to make these. You know I like to make our food, so I know what's in it. This is perfect timing! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki, I didnt know that on Christmas you bake cinnamon rolls, yes you can try this time. Thanks for your visit and the comment dear.

      Delete
  19. https://maylamgiatot.wordpress.com/2020/12/28/6-cach-duoi-muoi-triet-de-bang-nguyen-lieu-tu-nhien-bao-ve-gia-dinh-khoi-sot-xuat-huyet/
    https://leuxonghoigiadinh.wordpress.com/2020/12/28/6-cach-duoi-muoi-triet-de-bang-nguyen-lieu-tu-nhien-bao-ve-gia-dinh-khoi-sot-xuat-huyet/
    https://maylamdattrongngo.wordpress.com/2020/12/28/6-cach-duoi-muoi-triet-de-bang-bao-ve-gia-dinh-khoi-sot-xuat-huyet-bang-cach-nguyen-lieu-tu-nhien/
    https://mayxoidatnongnghiep.wordpress.com/2020/12/28/6-cach-duoi-muoi-triet-de-bang-nguyen-lieu-tu-nhien/
    https://maynongnghiepdananggiare.wordpress.com/2020/12/28/6-cach-duoi-muoi-triet-de-bang-nguyen-lieu-tu-nhien-bao-ve-gia-dinh-khoi-sot-xuat-huyet/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing the dish
    You can buy Kerala spices online at an affordable rate to try out these dishes to stay healthy and well as to elevate the taste of dishes

    ReplyDelete