Tuesday 15 March 2016

Baloo Shahi (Indian styled doughnut)

Baloo Shahi (Indian styled doughnut)

Happy Holi (the festival of colours) to those who are celebrating.


Many people including me think that cooking is an art, an act that is as creative as an artist making a painting from scratch to final product. When an artist starts a painting, the first thing is for him/her to plan, and organise the items, the kind of paint/material required in the painting. Then he/she will start sketching, and then finishing touches here and there before he starts to colour the painting. Suppose he/she is making a painting of a person’s face. He makes sure to give special attention to specific areas that need it, like the eyes. Then he will start thinking about colouring the painting.

Choosing the right colours and the right brushes is a very important decision he/she should make because colours play an important role in the painting. So you see, from beginning to the end, every single step is very important, and nothing can be ignored or avoided. There is no short cut and a single mistake can lead to a disaster. The other thing, which is extremely important for an artist, is to be patient during the whole process of sketching and coloring, till the whole job is done. The last thing is the satisfaction and feeling of relief he/she gets after completing the item to his/her own satisfaction before he/she shows it to the world.

The same principles can be easily applied to the cooking of a dish. In cooking first we plan, what to cook, planning also includes the arranging and organizing of the ingredients as well. Then the cook will decide what type of spices and herbs to be used in the dish. The choice of right spices and herbs for the dish and their correct proportions is like choosing the right brushes and colours for the painting. The choice of correct ingredients is as important as choosing the medium to paint on. The correct time of adding these spices to the dish is like giving final touches to a sketch and painting the right colours at the right time to get the best results.




And remember we can’t slip and go off the wagon on any single step, no ways, not a single or simple or even tiny mistake is allowed. It can spoil the whole show. Now comes the patience part. We cooks cannot rush in cooking or even in any step of cooking. The more a cook is patient during the whole process of cooking, the far better results he/she will experience, I mean, the much tastier the dish will be made. The last, but not the least, is to taste the dish to satisfy our taste buds, the way we wanted the dish to come out before it is offered to anybody.

Even in this recipe, a lot of patience is required when frying the ‘Baloo Shahi’. I tried making this dish a few times before, but I was never satisfied, it didn't come to my level of satisfaction. I wanted to make the best Baloo Shahi for my son, who really likes them. Then I tried the recipe of famous Indian Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's, which came out very nice. Now I make sure that once in a while or on festivals I make these.


RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (maida) OR white bread flour
  • 6 tbs unsalted butter or ghee
  • 4 tbs full-fat yoghurt (dahi)
  • 1/4 tsp soda-bi-carb
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp cardamom powder
  • Sliced pistachios to decorate
  • Oil/ghee for frying

METHOD

For Sugar syrup
  • Mix water and sugar together with Cardamom and boil it till it mixes together well and make thick sugar syrup.
For Baloo Shahi
  • Add butter/ghee into the flour and mix well, then add yoghurt and make the soft dough, sprinkle little water to mix the dough properly. As soon as the dough is mixed, leave it to set for 20 minutes. Do not over mix the dough.
  • Heat oil on a medium-low flame in a frying pan, when hot, slow down the flame.
  • Pinch small balls from the dough and give round shape and flatten it on your palm. Press in the middle with your thumb to give slight bend shape in the middle.
  • Start frying in a batch of 10-12 on the slow flame, turn after few minutes when changing the colour.
  • When they are golden brown on both sides, take them out and leave it to cool a bit, when still warm put it in the warm sugar syrup and leave it for 5-10 minutes, then take it out.
  • Decorate with pistachios and serve.
20-22 Baloo Shahi can be made depending on the size you make.


I am sending this recipe as my blog post entry for Way wow link party, and Tuesday Tutorials, and with Cook blog share and Hearth and Soul blog hop, and with welcome home Wednesday party, with Full plate Thursday, with Yum yum linky and My fav Two things on Thursday, and with Real Food Friday and with Fiesta Friday co-host Naina and Juliana, and with Sunday Fitness and food party, and with Meatless Monday and what do you do this weekend, and with Tasty Tuesday, and with Happy healthy and green party,








































56 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy!! beautiful clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look gorgeous - I ate something similar when I travelled to India and they were really tasty but I think yours look even better! Thanks for sharing with #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, nice to know you traveled to India as well. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. I can skip my diet if I found this sugary balushahi..

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! and definitely making me hungry - We love doughnuts so would love to try this Indian variation! Thanks so much for linking to #YumTum this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstly hats off to U, for making such an authentic and traditional sweet dish...Really appreciate U for this. Baloo shahi looks just awesome, Delicious and classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so nice of you for such a lovely comment dear. Thanks you very much, I really appreciate your words.

      Delete
  6. These look delicious! I bet the cardamom is incredible in this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pistachio topping on this. The picture makes my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree - cooking is much easier if you get everything you need set out and organized in advance. These doughnuts look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look yummy, and I love pistachio. Your pictures are beautiful, look good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sadhna,
    Wow these look delicious. I love your description of artist and cooking! Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marla for pinning and tweeting and for your comment dear.

      Delete
  11. I like the analogy you've given between painting and making food. It all requires patience!

    Happy to read this and glad Sanjeev Kunar's recipe worked for you - who better to inspire ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Alok, I like when people read the post as well with the recipe.

      Delete
  12. ooh those look tasty! Thanks for linking up today for Meatless Monday

    ReplyDelete
  13. These donuts look delish! And I love the way that you have likened painting to cooking. Most of my disasters come because I am impatient, I don't like things to take too long. And sometimes, most of the time-actually, I like to just cook. When you know what tastes good in what amount and how the basics work, this is far more enjoyable to me. Almost everything I make frequently is done by eye and knowledge. I always follow a recipe perfectly until I know it well enough to "wing" it. So perhaps I should be likened to a graffiti artist instead of a fine artist? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, NikKi, I have enjoyed reading your comment. You are just assuming that you a graffiti artist, I know you are so good in everything you do.
      Thanks for your lovely comment dear.

      Delete
  14. The balushahi look amazing and I can imagine how divine they must taste! Thank you for sharing at Fiesta Friday!!
    Naina@spiceinthecity

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Doughnut would be such a special treat! Hope you have a very special week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. This baloo shahi looks yum, I need to try it, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swathi for your comment and for pinning and tweeting dear.

      Delete
  17. Those look great for a brunch or tea! Thank you for linking up with us for Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy Sadhna Ji....Really one of my favourites and the recipe is so well explained.....I have never made them at home but my mum and grandmum always made them and believe me i loved gobbling them while they are still hot :)

    You reminded me of home....

    http://www.mumbaitomelbourne.com/food-and-health-blog-posts/saffron-rice-kheer-keshar-and-tandla-chi-kheer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so nice of you dear. Thanks for your visit and comment.

      Delete
  19. HAPPY HOLI TO YOU....Lovely sweet dish

    ReplyDelete
  20. yummy sweet Recipe, plz pass the platter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These sound delightful! I like the addition of cardamom for a bit of a savory flavor. Looking forward tor trying these, Pinned :-) Thank you for joining the Sunday Fitness & Food Link-Up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those little doughnuts look amazing! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you again this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment dear, i will see you next week.

      Delete
  23. These look great!! I am always looking for new recipes to try out. My daughter will love to help me make these! Thank you for sharing and linking up with us over at the Welcome Home Wednesdays Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sadhna, I really enjoyed this post! I absolutely agree, cooking is an art form. Your Baloo Shahi look absolutely delicious - definitely a work of art! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to visit and comment but thank you so much for bringing this post to the Hearth and Soul Hop. Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks very much dear. You always appreciate and encourage me with your comment. Thanks very much dear.

      Delete
  25. These doughnuts look so delicious! i could eat it all! Thank you for sharing it with us #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  26. These little doughnuts are so pretty and sound delicious! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Sadhna, you have just made my day. I have always been able to paint but cooking something delicious seemed beyond me, until I read this post. I never ever thought of cooking the way you just described it and it resonated with my soul and artist's heart. Thank you for tearing down the wall that made me think I can't cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, I am glad if i can make you think that you can cook. You know cooking is also an art, and being a very creative artist, nothing is impossible for you. Thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete