Monday 23 February 2015

MANGO JAM (JELLY)

MANGO JAM (Jelly)

In India mango is called “falo ka raja” which means the king of all fruits. I did some research on Google and came to know that this fruit is largely grown in south east Asia, and almost half of the world's mangoes are cultivated in India alone. After reading that I felt good and proud for India, partly being an Indian origin person and partly being a mango lover. Though India is the largest producer of mangoes surprisingly we Indians consume all its production, and not much is exported. I assume not only because of the country's large population but because of the taste of mango and variety available in India. And off-course people like me who really love mangoes.


In India different varieties have different names like alphonso, totapuri, safeda, langra and many more. My favourite is dashehri, which is famous from the city of Lucknow. Lucknow is the closest city to Kanpur. We were getting a lot of this variety in Kanpur, where I lived for many years in my youth, when I was at school and college.


In this mango jam I did not use any colour or preservative (pectin), it can be kept in the fridge and can last for two months. The natural colour of mango is so nice, there is no need to add any colour. In jams some fruits like mango gives so nice flavour and aroma that you are tempted to really eat big dollops of it on your toast!



RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
  • 500 grams chopped mangoes
  • 400 grams sugar

METHOD
  • Make a puree in the blender with chopped mangoes.
  • Mix mango puree and sugar together.
  • In a fry pan or heavy bottomed wok cook the puree with sugar on a low flame.
  • Keep on stirring, it will take 15-20 minutes to get the consistency of thick jam.
  • Leave it to cool.
  • If you are using cooking thermometer, check the temperature, when it is showing 90 degrees C, it means jam is ready to its real consistency
  • When cold, keep in a sterilize glass jar or bottle and keep it in the fridge. Mango jam is ready to eat.


26 comments:

  1. Yummy! Thanks for sharing on Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mongoes are my favorite fruit! This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this – and you certainly can't fin it anywhere in the UK. I can imagine it spread on cakes and crepes – heavenly! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  4. This jam is beautiful! I love mangos and can see why they'd be called the king of all fruit :) Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen anything like that but I do like mangos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh I love mango jelly! Thanks so much for the recipe, I have always thought about it! Thanks so much for linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Looks Yummy!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party!! Hope you come back tomorrow and share some more!! Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love mangoes too, Sadhna! Your Mango Jam looks so delicious - what a lovely treat. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. Pinning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mango jam! Thanks for linking up and sharing your recipe with us at Funtastic Friday. I hope you join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who can resist this yummy recipe! I am so delighted that you shared mango jam jelly recipe at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party!Thank you so much for sharing your gems and for your support! I'm pinning and sharing! All the best, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, thanks very much for your lovely comment dear, thanks for pinning and sharing.

      Delete
  11. I'm not sure I've ever had mango jam before Sadhna, but it sounds heavenly. It was fascinating to read that you can get so many different types too. I don't think we have such a large variety here in South Africa, I'll have to pay closer attention next time I go to the market

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really, in my house this is in great demand, even my grand children like it. Yes in India we get a lot of varieties of mangoes. I love the big sweet ones which were available in Pretoria.

      Delete