Friday 12 June 2015

BUTTER PANEER (INDIAN CHEESE IN CREAMY SAUCE)

BUTTER PANEER
(INDIAN CHEESE IN CREAMY SAUCE)


#Edited- This recipe was featured as one on the best recipes at Cook blog share blog hop on 5th of April 2016. Check here.



When we talk about recipes, I remember how tough it was in my youth to know how to make a dish. The only source of information was the word of mouth. There was no google, no internet, and no information was readily available for us to use.


How easy our life is these days, with a click of a mouse, we can get a new recipe of any particular dish, from any country or any cuisine. I salute the modern information technology of today, and to people who are sharing their knowledge of cooking and their recipes with the world, through the myriad of types of media.


This reminds me of a funny incidence that happened many years ago. One day my sister was travelling in a bus in Delhi, on the seat in front her were two ladies discussing some recipe of a pickle. One was busy explaining it to the other, the whole recipe and method of making that particular pickle. My sister overheard their conversation and overheard the whole recipe quietly. When she reached home, she told me, to quickly bring a pen and paper. When I gave her the pen and paper, she wrote the whole recipe down before she did anything so as not to forget, and then she laughed a lot and told me the whole story. So that is how she got a new recipe,  which she tried later, and it came out really nice.


When we talk about any paneer dish, it is considered as a dish of high stature in an Indian vegetarian menu. Even in an Indian restaurant offering vegetarian food, there will always be a paneer dish. Whether you are organising a party, inviting some guests or friends and even on functions and festivals, a  paneer dish is a must. Paneer is actually a good source of protein for vegetarians apart from it tasting very nice.


This is a simple recipe of butter paneer. I did not use cream in this recipe as I wanted to make it light, the cream can make it richer, thicker and off course tastier.

My first blog Anniversary event is still running. Click here to join.





RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 500 grams Paneer (Indian Cottage cheese)
  • 1 big onion (200 grams)
  • 2 big tomatoes (400 grams)
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic
  • a small piece of ginger
  • Salt & chilli powder to taste
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • ½ tsp garam masala (optional)
  • 3 tbs cream ( optional)
  • 3 tbs butter
  • fresh coriander/cilantro for garnishing.

 METHOD

  • Wash and chop onion, garlic, ginger and tomatoes.
  • Slice the paneer in a triangle shape.
  • Heat butter in a frying pan, add cumin seeds, let them fry and change the colour. 
  • Add onion, garlic and ginger, fry till golden brown. Add tomatoes, cumin and coriander powder, salt and chilli powder and roast for few minutes. When cool put it in a blender, add some water and make a paste.
  • Boil the paste on a slow flame with paneer for 10 minutes, add cream and garam masala.
  • Garnish with green coriander and serve.


46 comments:

  1. It looks so tempting, Sadhna...i am already a fan of Paneer Dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sadhna, this is the way to my heart! Butter currys are my favorite! I miss them so much. I am going to pin this, and make sure Steve and I try it :) YUM! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina, please try, I hope Steve will enjoy it too.

      Delete
  3. yummy gravy.paneer is my all time favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is AWESOME !! Whenever we go to an Indian restaurant this is what I order. It's my FAVORITE !! I absolutely loooooooooooooove it
    Pinning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks winning, I didnt know that this is your favourite, thanks for pinning.

      Delete
  5. I have always wanted to make this at home! This looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can have paneerr anyday.. Yum yum:-)http://traditionallymodernfood.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely dish! I have not try paneerr yet but will look out for it! Thank you for sharing it with us #Pintorials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, you can get it in Indian grocery stores in the fridge section.

      Delete
  8. Looks yummy and delicious too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy!! Paneer is an all time fav!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know my husband would love this especially if I subbed in chicken! ps--I loved the eavesdropping story from the bus. It's amazing what you can learn on public transportation LOL

    #viewfrominhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristiina for visiting by blog, story indeed is funny.

      Delete
  11. You are right, Sadhna, it is so much easier to get good recipes these days! I love that we can connect with others and learn about new recipes and cultures so easily. Your Butter Paneer sounds delicious. You've used some really wonderful flavours. Thank you so much for being a part of the Hearth and Soul community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April, your comments are always nice and encouraging to me. Your comments are like you are sending flowers to me.

      Delete
  12. YUM! Thank you for linking up at the Creative K Kids’ Tasty Tuesdays! I have pinned your post to our Tasty Tuesdays Pinterest Board! I hope to see you again this week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really delicious, the herbs and spices intrigue me with the tomato. I love hearing your stories too, they add so much to the recipe. I pinned this, going to try it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful dish, I can almost smell these wonderful flavors. Thanks so much for sharing your post with Full Plate Thursday and have a great day!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miz Helen for your lovely comment, I will join tomorrow.

      Delete
  15. Wonder where we could get Paneer in Kansas? Looks good!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Hope you stop by tomorrow and share some more! I love having you! Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine for pinning my recipe, you can get paneer in any Indian grocery shop in the fridge section.

      Delete
  16. What beautiful colour this dish has got. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! I love Paneer, but have never tried making it, will have to give a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love paneer but there is no where to buy the actual cheese where I live! I keep meaning to go to the Indian market next time I'm in LOs Angeles but it seems like I never have an ice chest with me when I actually have time to stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment. There might be many Indian shops in Los Angeles, try next time.

      Delete
  19. It sounds beautiful and I love the story about your sister eavesdropping on the bus and then writing the recipe down as soon as she got home!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A delicious recipe and a lovely story! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete