Thursday 4 September 2014

RED PLUM CHUTNEY

(SUITABLE FOR VEGANS)

Edited:- This recipe was featured in the Cook Blog Share on 9th February 2016, Check here.

:
My recipe as published in the local newspaper od Airdrie.



Plums are in season in this part of the world, soon they will disappear from the shops as the fall season is already approaching. Soon winter will knock on the door and I am going to miss all these lovely fruits like peaches, plums, nectarine and my favorite ... cherry. I wish cherry was available throughout the year.


The story of this chutney recipe invention is that- when I was in South Africa, we regularly frequented the farmers market early mornings on the weekends. At such markets, there were very nice fresh fruits and vegetables available at very reasonable prices. The only problem was that we had to buy in bulk, but this only meant that we had plenty to share amongst friends and neighbors. This gesture was duly reciprocated by our friends! One Saturday morning my friend gave me half a box of fresh red plums, around 4 kg. After getting the box I thought, what am I going to do with so many plums?


That's when I got this idea of making plum chutney. I thought of using the sweet and sour qualities of the plums with a dash of ginger and green chilli, which turned out very nice. Now it is made in my kitchen whenever plums are available in summer season. A dear friend of mine calls me to remind me during the plum season, “when are you making your plum chutney?!”.



The good thing about this chutney is that it is suitable for fasting days when Hindus fast from grains and are not suppose to eat any onion or garlic. This plum chutney also goes very well with any snack like samosa, pakoda etc and is also good with rice-curry or any subzi-roti/nan during lunch or dinner time.


RECIPE

INGREDIENTS


  • 500 grams red plums
  • 250 grams sugar (brown is better)
  • 50 grams finely sliced ginger
  • finely sliced or whole green chilli to taste
  • salt and chilli powder to taste
  • 2-3 cloves
  • 1 tbs fennel seeds (saunf)
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 2 tbs oil

METHOD
  • Wash, clean and finely chop the red plums and remove the stones.
  • Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium flame.
  • When hot add mustard and fennel seeds and cloves, when fennel seeds are changing the colour, add ginger and green chilli and fry them.
  • When ginger is brown, add the chopped red plums and then salt, chilli powder and cover the frying pan with the lid.
  • Leave it on slow gas for 10-15 minutes till plums are tender and cooked.
  • Add sugar and mix well, let it cook for another 10 minutes till the water evaporates and the chutney is thick enough.

It can be stored in the fridge for 20-30 days in a sterilized glass bottle and can be served with any snack or meal.

I am sending this recipe as my blog entry to the recipe of the week event, and also sending this recipe for Hearth and Soul event, I am also sending this recipe as my blog entry to Gluten-free Wednesdays, and for Simple and in season, and for Friday Free for all, and with Tuesday table..
I am sending this recipe to NO waste food challenge because old and soft plums can be used for this chutney, and with Way wow link party, and with Meatless Monday and with what'd you do this weekend, and with yum yum linky, and with full plate Thursday, and with My two fav things on Thursday and with Cook blog share, and with Real Food Friday and Fiesta Friday together with Lily and Juliana.
















.




                                                                                         

31 comments:

  1. Wow, the colour looks so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, You can eat on any fasting days, because there is no onion garlic only fruit and sugar.

      Delete
  2. a very delicious looking chutney. Plum season will begin here soon and I may try out the recipe. Though I have lived all my life in Kenya, I have not managed to visit Kisumu :( Maybe some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mayuri, you can try and enjoy. Kisumu is a very nice place on the shores of the lake Victoria. In my posts you will read many stories about Kisumu and my Gujarati friends.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely chutney! It is such a wonderful colour and sounds so flavourful! Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April for the comment and for hosting the event Hearth and Soul hop.

      Delete
  4. I love spiced indian chutneys but not had a plum version before, I bet it's great! Thanks for your Simple and In Season entry, round up now up at http://maisoncupcake.com/winter-sustenance-simple-season-january-round/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Look awesome! Well done for appearing on magazine! #frifree4all

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of pate & chutney at the moment. This would be a delicious chutney with pate on toast :-) Thanks for linking to #frifree4all Featured posts will go live on www.snaphappybakes.com on the first friday in March :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds absolutely gorgeous and a great way to use up any plums lurking in the fruit bowl! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh I love plums! How interesting. Thanks for linking up for Meatless Monday it would really be great if you could please comment on the hostess and some of the other blogs as well. It really helps us all to grow. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I bet this is delicious! I've never had plum chutney before but you've definitely tempted me to try it. Thanks for linking up with #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats on having this published in the newspaper! it looks delicious! we have never tried making our own chutney before! #YumTum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sadhna,
    This is a very unique recipe - something new that I had never heard of or tried before but it sounds quite tasty and healthy. I do love plums. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marla for your comment. This is my favorite chutney without an preservative.Yes it is healthy too.

      Delete
  12. This sounds so enticing. Yum! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love plums, great idea to use them in a chutney, it sounds wonderful with the ginger and green chili! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I learn something new every time I stop by your site. I do like plums but I think I would like them even better in a chutney. I have pinned this recipe so that I can come back to it after I gather some plums. I can see it as an accent to many dishes, perhaps even some fresh asparagus or green beans. Thanks so much for the recipe and the story. I love hearing how others do things in other areas of the world and you always have a great story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Nikki, I am glad you liked the recipe, Thanks for reading the post and for the comment.

      Delete
  15. This looks Yummy! I like the green chilies and mustard...Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party! Hope to see you again tomorrow! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete