Thursday 23 March 2017

SWEET POTATO INDIAN FLATBREAD

SWEET POTATO INDIAN FLATBREAD

EDITED; This recipe was featured in Sweet Inspiration link party on 31at March 2017. Check here.




In 1903, when two American Wright brothers invented the world's first successful airplane, they might have never thought that after 100 years or so that flying by air would become a major mode of transport. These days modern aeroplanes can carry hundreds of passengers and can travel thousands of kilometers in a few hours, and people who are traveling can have breakfast in Africa and lunch in Europe!




I remember my first aeroplane journey in Jan 1980, when I was traveling from India to Kenya. Those days aeroplanes were very different, they were smaller, noisier, with fewer facilities (like television) inside the aircraft. At the time of landing, sometimes passengers were screaming, because our hearts were sinking. Compared to that time, modern aeroplanes are very convenient with luxury seats and lots of entertainment facilities. Despite the improvements today, long journeys are still tiring.





These journeys or modern transportation and communication have made the world very small and now people are settling and working in different countries and touring the world. People are not restricted to their local community, locality or even their own country to live or to work.



People who travel and settle in new places, also take with them, their culture, tradition and their food. This is the reason, if you go to any part of the world, you will find Italian pizza, American coffee, Indian Naan, Chinese spring rolls, British pound cake etc. in any part of the world. People are interacting with each other’s cultures and enjoying food of different cuisines in different parts of the world. This is also resulting in fusion food mushrooming in every part of the world; even in restaurants, you can find fusion food like Indo-Chinese, Indo-Canadian, Indo-British.




Coming to the recipe, this is my daughter's fusion recipe, in which she is feeding the family, a healthy version of Indian flat bread. Though there are many types of Indian flat breads, but new ones are also coming up like this one.





RECIPE



INGREDIENTS



  • 500 grams whole wheat flour/brown wheat fllour
  • 500 grams boiled and mashed sweet potato
  • salt to taste
  • one tablespoon oil to garnish the dough

METHOD

  • Mix the boiled and mashed sweet potato into the flour, while the sweet potato is still hot/warm and make a rollable dough, garnish with oil and leave it to rest for 10 minutes.
  • Pinch a small amount of dough and make round balls with it.
  • Heat an iron skillet or a frying pan to roast the bread.
  • Roll it round and give the shape of a flat bread.
  • Roast till cooked on both sides.
  • Serve with a vegetable curry or yoghurt or any choice of chutney.



Around 20 flat breads can be made depending on the size you make.

I am sending this recipe as my blog post entry for The hearth and soul blog hop and  Sweet Inspiration Link party, and with Sunday fitness and food and Meatless Monday and Healthy living link party and with I am pinnable pink party and Fiesta Friday with Jhuls of the not so creative cook,
and with Cook blog share,  and with Tasty Tuesday,

























52 comments:

  1. These rotisserie look so colourful and healthy. I remember when flying years ago, the economy class was not so congested. Seats back then were what business class seats are today, wide and lots of leg room. It's so true that wherever Indians go we tend to adapt the local food culture and make a fusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Mayuri, those days journey was really comfortable.Yes we adapt the local food culture and try fusion recipes. Thanks for your commeny dear.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sadhna! These look kind of like puff pastry...how do they puff up like that? Very cool looking. Wish you could come show me a thing or two. BTW I love that unique looking rolling pin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can puff easily depending on the dough you make. This type of rolling pin we use to make Indian flat bread- roti, naan etc. Thanks for your visit and the comment.

      Delete
  3. I love sweet potato bread and this looks super easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a perfect recipe for me. I was looking for healthy recipes for my kiddo. This is a great idea. Adding sweet potato to the roti is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh! I love sweet potatoes and I am very happy with this recipe of yours - so brilliant to use them in flatbreads. Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday #164! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to be here after long, Sadhna. Your recipes are like a new experience every time I land-up here. If I had been around you, I am sure I would have tried a few at your place.

    I remember my first plane journey in 2005 when I first came to US...the experience is not much different though now. From 1980s, I am sure it's a sea change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alok, Please do come to Calgary,and enjoy the new meals here. thanks for your comment and the visit.

      Delete
  7. I never realised you could use Sweet potato in flat bread I must try this !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fab idea...a lovely healthy twist on a big favourite of mine! :-) Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A different & healthy way to eat sweet potato.............must try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmm, now this sounds interesting Sadhna. I love sweet potato and mixing it into the dough to make a flat bread really appeals to my taste buds. I wonder if I can convince my lovely Indian friends down the road to help me make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it. You can try with your next door restaurant otherwise make a trip to Calgary, then I would love to serve you all yuor favourite Indian dishes.

      Delete
    2. Wouldn't that be awesome Sadhna

      Delete
    3. Yes Michelle, that would be really awesome.

      Delete
  11. You are right, Sadhna, flying is so much nicer now than it used to be! What a delicious flatbread - I love that your daughter used sweet potato. It would add both nutrition and flavour. Your Sweet Potato Indian Flatbreads look delicious. Sharing on the Hearth and Soul Facebook page. Hope you have a lovely week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks very much for your nice comment April and for sharing it on Hearth and soul Facebook page.

      Delete
  12. Sadhna I can only imagine how delicious this must taste since sweet potatoe on its own is very yummy! I really hate flying and I am doing it more than ever now. Yje only thing that gets me through all those hours on the plane is the tv entertainment. I will be featuring your sweet recipe on Sweet Inspiration on Friday. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mary, they are very tasty. Aww so nice of you that you are going to feature my recipe next week Friday, I will mention it on the top of the blog post. Thanks very much for featuring and for your comment dear.

      Delete
  13. Flatbread is delicious! And I've never heard of one made with sweet potatoes. What a gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! As I mentioned on your Facebook page, I'm definitely going to be trying this out. I think my picky two year old will even eat it! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love flatbread! The addition of sweet potatoes probably makes it even more delicious. Plus, I love that it makes it healthier. Definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara, I am very sure you are going to enjoy it.

      Delete
  16. This looks so delectable! I love flatbread and I've never heard of sweet potato in it before. This is something that I must try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks very much for your comment dear. i am sure you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  17. As always looks delicious. My hubby was looking over my shoulder saying we need to try that, will let you know how we get on :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that sounds great, tanks very much for your comment.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for the sweet potato recipe, I have been looking for one. I can get behind this one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Sadhana ji
    loved being on your blog. Your recipes are so easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never tried sweet potato parathas, would love to try this..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your flatbread looks delicious Sadhna!!! I saved this to my Pinterest board to make!!! Thank you for sharing!!💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww,thanks very much Michelle for your visit and for saving it on your Pinterest board.

      Delete
  22. I've never had sweet potato bread, but this looks really good. I love flat bread, and this would be a healthy version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, yes you can try, I am very sure you will enjoy. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  23. Soft & fluffy flat bread.nice twist of adding sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete