Wednesday 18 March 2015

SPROUTED MUNG BEAN SALAD

SPROUTED MUNG BEAN SALAD
(suitable for vegans)


According to Ayurveda (tradition Indian science of healing naturally), sprouted mung beans are a powerhouse of nutrients and they have more nutritional value than un sprouted mung beans. They are low in calories, high in fiber and rich in vitamins. They can increase the body's energy and helps us to feel fit and healthy.


These days our lifestyle is so automated and if we reduce a number of calories from our food, at the end of the day it benefits us. These sprouted mung beans salad is a good example of a low-calorie food and is a great combination of protein and vegetables. This salad can be a good dinner time meal for those who would like to take light meals because normally we are told by doctors to eat less amount of calories during dinner time.


Normally people think that it is very difficult to sprout beans and lentils, it takes a lot of time etc, and they buy ready made from shops. But actually they are very easy to sprout, as shown in the method below, I always sprout beans at home. When I keep the mung beans for sprouting, I always make some extra because they can be kept in the freezer for a month or so. My son, in his college days, was asking me to keep them ready in the fridge, to get extra protein for body building, when he was going to the gym and was doing a lot of exercises.


Many people, even some in my family eat them raw, after sprouting. I prefer lightly cooked ones, with a small amount of oil and spices. In the method below I have included the cooked one as well.



RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 200 grams mung beans
  • 200 grams onion (one big)
  • 200 grams tomatoes (one big)
  • 3-4 green chillies (optional)
  • ½ English cucumber/one green pepper
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (roasted and ground)
  • 2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon dry mint leaves or chopped fresh coriander
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil

METHOD FOR SPROUTING

  • Rinse mung beans in running water and soak for 7-8 hours in cold water.
  • Beans will increase in size. After 7-8 hours remove the water and put the mung beans in a wet muslin cloth, cover the beans with the corners of the cloth.
  • Put it in a container and cover the lid, keep in a dark and warm place. After 7-8 hours sprinkle the water on the muslin cloth.
  • It will take around 24- 30 hours depending on the temperature of the kitchen to sprout.
  • Better results can be obtained in summer. Once ready, remove from the muslin cloth and keep it in the fridge.




METHOD FOR SALAD

  • Finely chop onion, tomato, cucumber, green chili.
  • Mix all the chopped vegetables in sprouted mung beans and add all the spices.dey mint and cilantro.
  • Serve cold as a salad.


METHOD FOR LIGHTLY COOKED SALAD


  • Heat olive oil on a medium flame, add mung beans plus salt and cook for 10-15 minutes till they are bit tender.
  • Chop onion, tomatoes, green chillies and cucumber finally. Mix all in beans when they are still warm.
  • Add black pepper, mango powder and roasted cumin seeds powder.
  • Sprinkle lemon juice and garnish with dry mint leaves.
    Note- If you prefer raw, mix all vegetables, dry ingredients and lemon juice, dry mint in sprouted beans and serve.

This can be served cold or slightly warm, suitable for 5-6 people.

I am sending this post as my blog entry for Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, and for Cook blog share, and with two favourite things on Thursday party, and for City of Links #63, and for Funtastic Friday Party, and with see-ya-in-gumbo link, and What'd You Do This Weekend, and with Tasty Tuesday creative kids, and with Free from fridays, and with Thank-goodness is thursday, and with Fiesta Friday, And with Weekend Creations, and with Mt Legume Love Affair.and with Simple Natural Saturday.
I am also sending this recipe for Credit Crunch Munch for May as batch cooking for Freezer, as I have mentioned in the post it can be kept in the freezer together with Fuss Free Flavours and with Fab Food 4 All, and with Real Food Friday., and with Healthy Happy and green party.,and with Meatless Monday, and with Creative spark link party and with Way wow link party, and with Healthy Holiday recipe, and with Food and fitness friday under healthy breakfast recipe.










.







































49 comments:

  1. That first photo looks so good and makes me feel cool and I want someone to serve me a plate of it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting to know! I didn't know that sprouts green beans are full of protein! They look delicious healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely yummy recipe :) Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. we often end up munching unhealthy snacks...this salad can help to avoid those unhealthy munchies

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice healthy and yummy recipe. Thanks for visiting my space dear..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so healthy! My flatmate in college was fanatical about sprouting seeds - must say haven't tried it myself at home. Thanks for linking up with #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy for your comment and for sharing my post on google+.

      Delete
  7. Very healthy and filling salad..

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a lovely, healthy recipe, Sadhna! The flavours you have used sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April, in your busy schedule, you have spared time to see my post post.

      Delete
  9. This sounds so good! I've never sprouted beans before, pinning to try. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe looks wonderful! It's featured this week on Funtastic Friday. Hope you can make it again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son would get a kick out of eating sprouts, not to mention he's very involved in working out/muscle building lately. Thank you for sharing with See Ya in the Gumbo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking up to this week's Tasty Tuesday. I have added your recipe to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fresh, healthy salad- looks great, thanks for bringing it to the Fiesta :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, this is so pretty - Thanks so much for joining in with #weekendcreations - Great to have you on board x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love sprouting beans and your salad looks and sounds delicious!
    Kirsty from Hijacked By Twins popping over from #WeekendCreations

    ReplyDelete
  16. You convinced me: I have some mung beans in the pantry and will sprout them using your recipe. Thank you for inspiring me. And thank you for contributing to MLLA.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like such a lovely salad - I have recently sprouted my first batch of mung beans and want some salad ideas for them - though I didn't get lovely long tales like yours - I wasn't quite sure how long to leave hem sprouting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna for your comment. As I mentioned in the method it may take 24-30 hours depending on the temperature of the room.

      Delete
  18. This looks delicious, I haven't tried sprouting beans for a while but must start again now it is summer. Thanks for linking up with #creditcrunchmunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy for your comment and for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  19. Hi Sadna,
    Just a note to let you know I have chosen your post as one of my features for this weeks Real Food Fridays blog hop that goes live @ 7pm EST. Thank you so much for being part or Real Food Fridays and sharing with us. Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Marla, that's very nice. Thanks very much. I will come and check.

      Delete
  20. This delightful post reminds me that I must start sprouting again soon! They are so healthy and versatile. With yummy ingredients like these, I will be making this sprouted mung bean salad for friends and family quite often. Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and delicious recipe with us at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop! I'm pinning and sharing. I am delighted to explore your blog and to make a new blogging friend. Thanks for partying with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah for such a nice comment and for visiting my blog. I am also delighted to have friends like you, thanks for pinning.

      Delete
  21. This I love!!! Thanks for sharing it and linking up with us this week

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have always wanted to try a sprouted meal! Nice and healthy, and I bet nice and tasty! Good to have you back with us again :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sadhna, I so need to try this! Not only is it gorgeous, but the nutrients are of huge interest. When people say "bean sprouts" are mung beans what they are speaking of? I had read somewhere that someone sprouted some beans wrong and they got sick, have you ever had that happen, perhaps it was a totally different type of bean. Now I need to figure out where to find mung beans, and grab some cheesecloth. This is really cool, I have come to expect that from your posts my friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki, There are many varieties of beans sprouts, Mung bean is one of them. I have never heard anybody falling sick. If you can't sprout them properly they will go bad and smell, so nobody can use them.
      There are some sprouted container available if you do not want to use cheesecloth. You can get mung bean at an Indian grocery shop or whole foods in U.S. here in Canada we get at bulk barn.

      Delete