Wednesday 5 July 2017

CORIANDER CHUTNEY AND A POST ON A HERB AND A SPICE -CORIANDER/CILANTRO

CORIANDER CHUTNEY AND A POST ON A HERB AND  A SPICE -CORIANDER/CILANTRO

EDITED: This recipe was featured in the weekly blog party called Healthy happy and Green party, on 12-7 2017, Check here.

EDITED: This recipe was featured in the weekly blog party called Sweet Inspiration Party, on 15-07-17 Check here.


Coriander is also called cilantro in Northern America, which is a very popular herb and used in many cuisines of the world. Its fresh green leaves are used for garnishing because of its nice green colour and earthy aroma and also its many health benefits.

 
In Indian cuisine, coriander has been used from ages, not only as the fresh green leaves for garnishing but also the seeds and in ground form as seeds powder. In Hindi which is the national language of India, it is called “Dhania.”. Roasted Coriander seeds are also used in spice blend like sambhar powder of South India. In some parts of India, these roasted seeds are mixed in mouth fresheners and eaten as it is. In North India, it is commonly used in almost all curries and stews of lentils and vegetables, yoghurt dishes, lassis (savoury smoothies), fresh green salads, fruit salads, side vegetables and lentil dishes, either as seeds or as seeds powder. I mean, you just name it, and it can be used in most of the preparations.


 
In Indian cuisine, a lot of spices are used in everyday cooking. In a typical Indian kitchen, we use a special spice box, where we keep all the spices which we use in our everyday cooking, coriander powder is a must in that spice box. When I am talking about spice box, I remember one more incidence. The following photo of my spice box was published on a full page of Airdrie Life magazine together with my two recipes in April 2015. Those two recipes, I have already shared on my blog-Lentil Crepe and Carrot Halwa.

  
When the photographer from the magazine came to my house to take photos of those recipes, out of so many items in my kitchen, he really liked this spice box and said this is a unique piece because he had never seen it before. He even asked me, “How do you remember all the spices in it?” I told him, “This is very easy because I am the one who is filling these spices and I use them every day”. Normally the spices which are kept in this spice box are the common ones which we use every day in our kitchen. These type of spice boxes are normally a round stainless steel box with 7 or 9 individual stainless steel small bowls inside them. They come with a tightly fitted lid or a plain thin lid between the main lid and those small bowls so that spices do not mix when holding the whole box.


 
This spice coriander or cilantro is highly appreciated in Ayurveda (Ancient healing system of India) as a cooling spice. Cooling, in the sense that it helps in digestion and cools the stomach. It is mentioned in this website that by enhancing digestion, it works to alleviate the root cause of allergen reactions.



Coriander has many health benefits because it is a wonderful source of dietary fiber, magnesium, iron and other minerals. Green leaves have vitamin C, vitamin K and protein in it. Check this website for 16 amazing health benefits of Cilantro


Coming to the recipe, this is one of the most famous chutney of Indian cuisine, which is served in almost all Indian restaurants in India and abroad with snacks, samosas and other food items. In Indian cuisine, food is always served with pickles and chutneys and this is one of the famous ones. This is a simple recipe with few ingredients. Whenever this chutney is made, care should be taken about its consistency, it should not be watery or liquid. It should be thick enough like Jam which we can easily spread on a toast or a cracker, then only you can enjoy this chutney. This recipe is tried and tested; you can never go wrong with it.

 
RECIPE



INGREDIENTS



  • Two bunches of fresh green coriander leaves
  • Two tbs Chana dal/yellow flat lentil
  • 1 tbs oil for roasting the lentil
  • One medium onion
  • 3-4 green chilies (optional)
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 tbs white vinegar
  • 1 tbs sugar ( optional)



METHOD

  • Heat the oil in a frying pan and roast yellow lentils till they turn light brown and leave them aside to cool.
  • Rinse and chop cilantro, onion and green chilies.
  • Add all ingredients in a blender and pulse for 2-3 minutes till it is turning to a nice green, thick paste.
  • Keep it in the fridge, it can last for one month.

27 comments:

  1. I've read about the herb earlier too. Nice of you to add to my knowledge ☺️

    My wife likes the chutney more than me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really interesting Sadhna, I didn't know that coriander and cilantro were the same thing. In fact I never knew what people were talking about if they said they added cilantro. I must admit I'm not a big fan of the seeds but I love adding the leaves to a salad so your chutney recipe will be another one that's getting shared with the guys down the road ;-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, that is nice , now you know that they both are same thing. Thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
    2. Always a pleasure. I pop into your blog at least once a week just to see what's cooking ;-)

      Delete
  3. Cilantro and lentils are a great combo thanks for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea the cilantro and coriander are the same thing. Your spice bowl is not only practical it is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your tried and trusted recipe. Pinning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanna, many people told me that they didn't know that coriander and cilantro is the same thing. Thanks for your appreciation, comment and for pinning.

      Delete
  5. Delicious coriander chutney with lentil twist..........love it.
    Please subscribe my you tube channel view my latest video
    https://youtu.be/Io5ONnkL954

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shobha for your comment.
      I will subscribe it and will see your video.

      Delete
  6. There is so much I didn't know about coriander, Sadhna! I'm so glad you shared this post with us at Hearth and Soul. At first I didn't like the flavour of this wonderful herb, but over the years it has 'grown on me' and I really do love it now. Your Coriander chutney looks delightful - so colourful and flavourful! Thank you so much for sharing, and for being a part of Hearth and Soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really, I am glad that my post if helpful. This is my pleasure that I am part of this lovely party. Thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
  7. What an interesting recipe! I love coriander - both as a herb and a spice, so I am sure I would love this! I am very envious of that spice box - I now have a whole cupboard in my house dedicated to spices...which is lovely, but nowhere near as pretty as your box! Thanks for linking this up to #CookBlogShare :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I am so glad you liked my spice box, you are not nearby, I would love to give you the gift of this spice box. Thanks EB for your comment dear.

      Delete
  8. I grew coriander this year and have lots so I must try and make this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, I am very sure you will enjoy this recipe.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely chutney! Coriander is one of my favourite herbs and I also use the spice a lot in my cooking. This sounds really delicious and thanks for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is nice. Thanks Corina for your comment dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful information about coriander and tasty sounding recipe. I've never made chutney, and this gives me the motivation to try. Congrats on being featured at Sweet Inspiration. Have a wonderful weekend. Nancy Andres @ www.colors4health.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, Thanks very much dear for your visit and the comment. I didn't know that my recipe was featured there, you are the one who informed me.Thanks again.

      Delete
  12. Hi Sadhna,
    Wow this sounds so tasty and healthy like all your recipes do. Miss conversing with you since we no longer have Real Food Fridays and seeing all your wonderful recipes. Congratulations on being featured on Healthy, Happy Green & Natural blog hop. Tweeting & pinning. Have a healthy, happy & blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your such a lovely comment and for informing me that my recipe was featured at Happy healthy green blog hop.Yes I am also missing the real food friday party. Thanks for pinning and Tweeting.

      Delete
  13. I absolutely love chutney, but have never tried this variety - it's such a gorgeous colour! Thanks for entering your recipe into Simple and in Season x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Katie for your comment, yes the colour is gorgeous.

      Delete
  14. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world had crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could live a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from church to church but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could sever, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure for Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua herbal treatment (A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com WhatsApp: +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219.

    ReplyDelete