Friday 16 March 2018

CREAMY SPINACH CURRY

CREAMY SPINACH CURRY


This is one of my favorite recipes, which is regularly made in my kitchen. I use different types of spinach to make this recipe and enjoy it every time. In my long stay in Africa, I used white silver beet spinach, which was the only type that was locally available there. I even enjoyed cooking with this type of spinach straight from my kitchen garden in Africa. This type has long and hard leaves like kale, takes more time is chopping, cooking and the taste is also a little bit different. There I had no choice but to use that type only because tender baby spinach or English spinach was not available, I even tried to grow the soft and tender baby spinach in my kitchen garden but failed, I think the harsh African sun, the dry and hot climate there was not suitable for it.


Here in Calgary, baby spinach is available in plenty throughout the year and if I buy a big packet, it is triple washed, which I am also using in my salads. Because of its availability in abundance, I am using it a lot in my old recipes which were already made in my kitchen and trying some new recipes as well.


I tasted this recipe, the very first time, in a four-star hotel, around 20 years ago, where I stayed with my family for 2 and half months. It was a long time ago, isn’t it? I was staying in the hotel after getting transferred from a town to a city, I couldn't get accommodation in teacher's houses available in my school. The head chef of that hotel was very nice, I met him personally and informed him that all four members of my family are vegetarian. He really made our stay enjoyable with his lovely and tasty vegetarian dishes, which were made by him personally every day. Some of the days he really surprised us by serving some tasty Indian vegetarian dishes as well.


This recipe is not only my favourite recipe but the whole family likes it, even my grandchildren. Spinach is one of the vegetables which they really enjoy, so I try to use spinach in different curries, salads and lentils as well so that they get the health benefit of this green vegetable. This is a simple recipe, which can be enjoyed with rice, naan, Indian flat bread or even with dinner bun.



RECIPE
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 kg fresh baby spinach (frozen can be used in this recipe)
  • 500 ml fresh/whipping cream
  • 1 big onion (200 grams)
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic
  • A small piece of ginger
  • 2 green chili (optional)
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tbs coriander powder
  • salt and chili flakes to taste
  • 2 tbs oil
  • 2 tbs tomato puree

METHOD

  • Chop and wash the spinach thoroughly.
  • Grate or finely chop the onion, ginger, garlic and green chili.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, once changing the colour add the ginger, garlic, onion and green chili and saute till onions are brown.
  • Add spinach and salt, chili and coriander powder and cook for 8-10 minutes till spinach is cooked and the extra water evaporates.
  • Add cream and let it boil for 2-3 more minutes, then add the tomato puree, mix well and switch off the stove/gas.
  • Serve hot with rice, naan, roti or dinner bun.








24 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious and indulgent! I would definitely love this as I do like spinach recipes. Thanks for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very delicious and very healthy. I love spinach :) Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the spices in your creamed spinach.Have a great first week of spring and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with FULL PLATE THURSDAY!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe Sadhna. I think I mentioned that we've just harvested some of our baby spinach; it only get early morning sun so it grows okay here in Pretoria, but we do have to keep an eye on the plants so they don't wilt and burn when it's the middle of Summer. We also have a whole bunch of Marog (no idea how to spell that one, but's it's the wild spinach grown in the rural areas). I'd be keen to taste your curry spinach with that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks very much dear Michelle. I tried to grow the baby spinach in Botswana but failed and was using only the silver beet spinach.I am sure you will enjoy the recipe.

      Delete
  5. That looks very tasty I do like spinach with a bit of spiciness to it. Thank you for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely the chef was so accommodating, Sadhna, and how wonderful you developed this great recipe using his inspiration! I had not heard of silver beet spinach before. It sounds interesting but I think I prefer the recipe with the lovely baby spinach you have used here! Your Creamy Spinach Curry looks delicious. Thank you so much for sharing it, and for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks very much April for such a lovely comment. I always enjoy taking part in Hearth an soul blog hop.

      Delete
  7. This looks so delicious and comforting, and it has all of my favourite flavours! We don't eat dairy, but I will try making it using cashew cream. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl for your visit and the comment. Yes ir is good idea to use cashew cream instead of whipped cream.

      Delete
  8. Truly I discovered this article more useful, much obliged for sharing this article
    senna extract manufacturer in india

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! Next time I buy a big bag of spinach I am going to have to make this! It was interesting to read about the spinach you had to use in Africa, I have never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't love cooked spinach, except for creamed spinach with lots of garlic. But this recipe looks like it has a lot of flavour, so I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing with #EatYourGreens. I love the look of this creamy spinach goodness and would happily dive in. Hope your feeling much better too. The round up will be up on the 1st of May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Shaheen. I will check the round-up.Thanks for accepting it.

      Delete
  12. This is a lovely looking green curry. Thank you so much for taking part in Eat Your Greens again!

    ReplyDelete