Monday 12 October 2015

TURNIP AND PEAS SIDE DISH

Turnip and peas side dish
Shalgam aur matar ki subji



October is the most beautiful month if you are living in northern America. This is the season of “Fall”, I really enjoy the beauty of nature at this time. This is the time, when the colours of the leaves on all the trees are changing - some leaves are light yellow, some are dark yellow, some turn into light orange, some dark orange. Many trees in this area are pine trees, which are also called Christmas trees, or even green trees so their leaves do not change colour and remain green. As I sit on my couch and work on my post, I am really enjoying the autumn view from the big window of my living room. Today is a windy day, to me, it seems as if these colourful trees are dancing, and it seems some trees that are far away bending and glancing from behind other trees at me. This is the view I was describing of my garden...



 Turnip is not a common vegetable like potato, it can neither be mixed with many other vegetables nor many different types of dishes can be made with it. But still, as advised by the health professionals to eat different varieties of fruits and vegetables, turnip is a good change, particularly when they are fresh in shops in their season.


Their season starts in October here in Calgary, I mean in the northern hemisphere.When I was in Botswana, they were not available there, so I missed them for many years. I have already shared a recipe for its pickle with cauliflower and carrots, check the recipe here- .


Yes I know, turnips have a very distinct taste, that is the reason some people do not like or eat turnips. Even me, I was not a great fan of a turnip before I ate this side dish, but after eating this dish, I have changed my opinion, now I can say, yes I like turnip Though people have different tastes and opinion about different vegetables but a lot also depends on how the vegetable is cooked or how the dish is made. Any simple vegetable can be converted into a nice side dish depending on how it is made and how efficiently the spices and herbs are used in it etc. I think cooking is an art and it depends a lot on the artists (home cooks or chefs) to play around with ingredients to create a wonderful item out of it.


I really like this particular side dish. The first time when I tasted this dish in my sister-in-laws place, I couldn’t believe that the main ingredient in it, is turnip. Then I asked my sister-in-law to give me the recipe, now it is always made in my kitchen, whenever turnips are in season.


I am sharing this recipe on my blog for those, who particularly do not eat this white/nice vegetable which is full of good nutrients, to give it a try. I am very sure, you will definitely enjoy this dish.

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS:-
  • 500 grams white turnips
  • 150 grams peas frozen/fresh
  • 4-5 garlic cloves, grated
  • small piece of ginger, grated
  • 2 tbs tomato puree
  • salt and red chilli powder to taste
  • 1 tbs coriander powder
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds powder
  • 2 tbs oil
  • 1-2 tbs fried onion
  • Few leaves of fresh coriander for garnishing.
METHOD
  • Peel, wash and boil turnip in pressure cooker for five minutes after the whistle.
  • Mash turnip in food processor or with potato masher.
  • Heat oil in a fry pan on medium heat.
  • Add mustard seeds, garlic and onion till light brown.
  • Add tomato puree with little water, add coriander and chilli powder, roast for few minutes.
  • Add mashed turnip and green peas and cook for 8-10 minutes till the extra water evaporates.
  • Garnish with fried onion and coriander on top.
  • Serve with Nan, roti, parathan or rice.

54 comments:

  1. Curry looks delicious...perfect to go with rotis!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a delicious side dish. I get a weekly vegetable bag delivered and turnips often appear during winter. I never know what to do with them! I'll definitely remember this recipe to try out next time I have some. Thanks for linking up with #CookBlogShare this week. p.s. looks like you have a beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy, Thanks for visiting my blog and for such a lovely comment. Please do try, you will enjoy the recipe.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely way to serve turnips, Sadhna! You've used some gorgeous spices and I love the addition of the peas. Thank you for sharing with us at Hearth and Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the fall foods as well! I've never cooked turnips myself this looks yummy thanks for sharing and joining us for the link up

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful! I love turnips! Thanks for sharing on Creative K Kids’ Tasty Tuesdays link up. I have also pinned your recipe to our tasty Tuesday's Pinterest Board. Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dina for visiting my blog and for pinning my recipe to the Pinterest Board.

      Delete
  6. Wow it looks so delicious, loved that you add to use peas in it and we call it shaljam ka saag !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jolly, I like the name " shalgam ka saag".

      Delete
  7. This would make a great spread for some homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like turnips, this sounds like a wonderful preparation! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good that you like turnips. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  9. Hi Sadhna,
    I don't like turnips but my husband does and he would love this recipe. Where I live the trees are turning gorgeous colors and it is beautiful. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off, I love the scene from your window and I love the trees that have the yellow leaves. I like that they are tall and thin, what type are they? I would love to have a few of these along my fence!

    Second, I like turnips, but I've really only had them roasted with carrots, potatoes and onions. They get a bit sweeter in the roasting. This sounds really good, I like ginger a lot. Adding mustard, coriander and garlic too...sounds delish! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki, green trees a type of pine trees, which are called evergreen, I am not very sure about the yellow leaves one, let me find out then I will let you know.

      Thanks that you liked the recipe and thanks for pinning and sharing on Google +.

      Delete
  11. I remember my mother's delectable mashed turnips which she served for Thanksgiving each year. Thank you so much for sharing your healthy and delicious Turnip and Peas side dish with us at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I am so delighted that you are partying with us! I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, glad to know your mother was serving something similar to this. Thanks for pinning and sharing.

      Delete
  12. This looks interesting. Not a big fan of turnips but all of your spices makes me want to give it a try! Thanks for linking up on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday. Hope to see you again! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine for pinning, i am glad you want to give a try to this recipe.

      Delete
  13. I like turnips but I never think to cook with them (they're never in recipes are they!). I love the sound of the spices in this dish, I'd imagine they taste delicious.

    Thanks for joining #FoodYearLinkup x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte, you can give it a try, recipe is easy and really tasty. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  14. This looks great. Turnips are so underrated! Thanks for the entry to ExtraVeg!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds delicious - I never know what to do with turnips! Thank you for sharing with both #creditcrunchmunch and #extraveg

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so delicious, I rarely see a turnip these days but they were very common as a child! Thanks for a great #CreditCrunchMunch entry:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camilla, I am still getting a lot these days in Calgary.

      Delete
  17. I love fresh new ideas to incorporate different veg into my diet! Turnip is not a favourite in our house, so this I must try :-) Thanks for sharing with #frifree4all
    Remember to tweet out a link to this post and tag me in it and i'll RT :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We eat a ton of vegetables in our home, and I am always in new of new recipes to change things up. Your recipes always have spices and flavors that are new to me, but look, and sound incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jessica, you can try with the spices you are familiar with and try the new vegetarian recipes dear.

      Delete
  19. This looks wonderful Sadhna! I love turnips, although I don't very much use it in our meals, but now you gave me an idea and recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katrine for your comment, i am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  20. I have only had turnips in a stew. The spices and flavor combinations look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Sadhna...while turnips may not be great on their own the addition of all the spices in your recipe will surely make this a very tasty vegetable dish. Looking forwrd to trying it this weekend. Actually, I may try it with cauliflower as I picked up 2 heads today at the grocery store.
    Thanks for another brilliant recipe.

    Hugs, Lyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, Thanks very much for your visit and nice comment. I know turnip alone doesn't tastes great. Try and enjoy.

      Delete
  22. I have never cooked or eaten turnips before. I will have to remember to come back for this. Turnips are usually very economical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn, Give them a try, with spices and herbs they are nice to eat. thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
  23. I am so intrigued with this fabulous combination of ingredients that I can't wait to get me some turnips! What a delightful dish and your recipes are always unique and special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, what a lovely comment dear.thanks very much for your comment .

      Delete
  24. I must admit that turnip is one vegetable I don't eat very often. My experience with this vegetable as a child were not so great and I think that's why. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caleste, even me I was not a big fan of turnip, but after eating this dish I have changed my view. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  25. You're so right, people need to mix up their tastes. I will definitely try to add turnips to my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not sure I've ever cooked with turnips before. This recipe looks so good, I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is nice dear, thanks for your visit and a comment.

      Delete
  27. What a lovely side dish! I have been looking for some vegetarian alternatives recently so this would be a great addition! Thanks for linking this week xx #YumTum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte for your comment, ya it is a nice side dish.

      Delete