Monday 31 August 2015

YOGHURT AND MANGO TART / AMRAKHAND TART


This is a Gujarati sweet dish. I learned many Gujarati dishes from my friends in Kenya. Gujarati food is very tasty and has lots of varieties in sweet and savory.


When I was living in Kisumu, Kenya, I was living in a flat with my family in a big building. Most of the families in the apartment complex were Gujaratis. Throughout the day, the ladies were busy in making lots of papads and savory dishes. I was also a housewife at the time because I had decided to take care of my two small kids, I had plenty of time to learn and try new Gujarati items. This recipe is one of them.


When I ate Shreekhand for the first time, I really liked it and was very much interested in learning the process of making it. When one of my neighbour friend from the apartment complex taught me how to make it, I realized that it is a very simple dish to make which actually does not require any cooking at all. The main ingredient is Dahi (Yoghurt).


I love mangoes and all dishes made with mango. It is a superfruit, which is used in many recipes in Indian cuisine. Starting from raw mango to full ripe ones, we use them in our kitchen to make many types of pickles, chutneys, sweets and even use them in curries.


I have already posted few recipes of mango like mango pickle, mangosmoothie, mango trifle and mango Jam.


When this dish is made with only yoghurt (dahi) and sugar it is called shreekhand, and when mixed with mango it is called amrkhand.

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
  • 500 grams Full Cream Yoghurt (Dahi)
  • 500 grams pureed mangoes
  • 300 grams castor sugar
  • ½ tsp nutmeg powder (optional)
  • 50 grams sliced almonds OR pistachios
    For graham cracker crust
  • Two cups graham/digestive cracker (Finely crushed)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 8 tbs butter
METHOD

For the crust
  • Mix graham cracker, sugar, and butter thoroughly.
  • Press mixture into small individual pie trays (3 inches)
  • Bake in the oven for 6-7 minutes to 180 degrees C.
  • Cool it well.
FOR MANGO AND YOGHURT/AMRAKHAND
  • Take a white, clean muslin cloth, spread the cloth inside the big sieve or stainer, now pour the yoghurt carefully in it.
  • Tie a knot on top or put a thick rubber band to seal the top.
  • Now hang the muslin cloth on top of the kitchen sink with a tap, so that all the water can drip off the yoghurt.
  • Leave a container under it to collect the water, it can take 4-5 hours to remove all the water from the yoghurt and the only cream will be left in the muslin cloth.
  • Now remove the cream of the yoghurt in a glass bowl, add sugar, pureed mango, nutmeg powder, and pistachio.
  • Mix well and put it in the fridge.
  • When the crust is cold, fill it with yoghurt and mango mix and decorate with pistachio.
  • Serve chilled as dessert after the meals.

62 comments:

  1. Very interesting recipe and the tarts looks super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the true life incidents that you pen down leading to the recipe. It's wonderful to know the inspiration behind the dish. The idea of making a tart with amrakhand is very creative. The tarts look oh so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Piyali for your lovely comment and inspiration to write more post on my personal experience.

      Delete
  3. This looks so delicioius. I love mangos too, they are the best, I love them as a slushy with ice, cold and refreshing in the heat. And in a fruit salad. And with yogurt. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is a lot of pies, they look delicious and I bet taste wonderful!!'Thanks for stopping by Oh My Heartsie Girls linkup this week!!

    Have a great week!
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karren for visiting my blog and for your comment.

      Delete
  5. I always learn so much from your posts. I adore mango so these look especially good to me.

    Thanks for sharing on Creative K Kids' Tasty Tuesdays link up. Hope to see you back next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried Shreekhand, but isn't this going to be too sweet?
    I like your recipe otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Alok, reduce the amount of sugar or add no sugar at all then you will really enjoy the taste.

      Delete
  7. I love anything with mango too, this sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that these beautiful tarts are made with yogurt - such a healthy ingredient! They look so pretty and delicious. Thank you so much for sharing them with us at the Hearth and Soul hop, Sadhna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sadhna,
    This looks delicious and sounds so healthy. Mangoes always add such a wonderful flavor to desserts. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & twitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Marla, yes they are healthy and tasty.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow these sound very refreshing. Mango is such a delicious fruit I've never thought to try it in a tart. Thank you for linking up this recipe to #frifree4all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great little tart!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Hope to see you tomorrow!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Yoghurt and Mango Tart looks delicious, we would love this dessert! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not heard of Gujarati food before. It is very new to be. Your tarts look gorgeous! I love that it is made from mango too! I love mango! Thank you for sharing it with us. #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tarts looks super delicious...beautiful clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I was in my 20s I travelled to Gujarat and I loved the food there. It was perfect for me as a vegetarian and was so different to what we in the UK think of as Indian food. These look fantastic and would be a good way for me to sneak some fruit in to my very picky five year old son who won't eat any fruit at all. Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that you have travelled to Gujrat and enjoyed the food there. Yes, it is a good way to try and feed your son.

      Delete
  16. Oooh these look so good!! I can imagine how delicious they must be! x #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful to enjoy a little taste of Kenya! I am so delighted that you shared this healthy and delicious Gujarati sweet dish at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I can't wait to make this Yogurt and Mango Tart! I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah for pinning and sharing, and for your comment.

      Delete
  18. What could be better than the combination of yoghurt and mango! I am a mango fan, I enjoy it so much. Sadhna you always introduce me to great recipe and also this one will be on my list of must~try's! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much Katrin for your lovely comment. I am very sure you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  19. Your tarts look beautiful! I really do love that they are made with mango. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look so smooth and creamy. Mango is a favorite flavor of my husband's. He spent two years in Colombia. They could pick the mangoes right off the trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn for your comment, it seems I should go to Colombia because I love mangoes.LOL

      Delete
  21. This looks so good. I'm pinning and will have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mangos are one of my most favorite fruit, and combining them with a creamy yogurt would be perfection. I love the idea of making these into little tarts. What a delicious dessert idea.

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.

    LYnn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I would love one...ok, a dozen of these right about now. What a fabulous combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so yummy and pretty all at the same time! I am pinning this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks very much Lori for your visit and the comment dear.

      Delete
  25. Did you save one for me? These look so delicious, I would love to have one with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha, yes Caleste, you can come and have one. Thanks for your visit dear.

      Delete
  26. Love mangoes and your combination reads and looks delicious. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe on Fiesta Friday! - Zeba

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow these look delicious! I have never made tarts myself but It is something I definitely want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My kids love Mangos, so I can't wait to make these with them! Pinned :-) Thank you so much for joining the Link-Up. Have a Great Week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Angela for your comment and for pinning.

      Delete
  30. Oh this looks delicious!! I love mangoes. Your recipes are always so unique and inspire me Thank you for sharing this at From the Archives Friday.

    ReplyDelete