Sunday 5 April 2015

INSTANT LIME PICKLE (WITHOUT OIL)

INSTANT SWEET LIME PICKLE
(without oil)

In olden days, it was the tradition in Indian homes that 3-4 types of pickles were always available in the kitchen for family, friends and guests. In those days ready-made pickles were not available in the market, so housewives were making and keeping different types of pickles at home.

 Indian pickling is different to the way they pickle in the west. Instead of using only salt and vinegar, in indian pickles several spices and oil is also used. Some amount of latent heat is also used to slow cook whatever is being pickled.


This is the recipe of my mother-in-law, in her kitchen this lime pickle was always available. Now I make sure that it is available in my kitchen too. The reason behind is not only that it tastes good but this is a home remedy for stomach disturbance and for nausea. Traditionally in Indian homes, home remedies are used for simple problems we experience in our daily life, before we go and see the doctor.


The best part of this recipe is that neither oil is required in this pickle nor any preservative. Salt and sugar serves the purpose of preservative in pickles in our traditional kitchens.


                  ( This is six months old, which is more drier and more darker)


When my mother-in-law was making this pickle, she was keeping it in the sun light for 10-15 days to get it cooked. She used to remove the lid of the jar and was covering the mouth of the jar with a piece of muslin cloth around the neck, to allow the lemons to breathe in the jar and for easy penetration of sun light.These days, women are working, they don’t have time and we are living in an instant era, so now I am cooking the same pickle on gas stove, and it has no difference in taste or longevity.

It can last on the shelf for 12 months or more, if it is more than 6 months old the colour will change to a little bit darker but the taste will not change.

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • l kg lemon or lime
  • 400 grams sugar
  • Salt to taste/50 grams (This much is required for preserving the pickle)
  • 50 grams red chilli powder (optional)
    or Paprika for colour only
  • 15 grams carom seeds (ajwain)
  • 25 grams garam masala
  • You also need a sterilized glass jar for storing the pickle.

Note-If you like less spicy, reduce red chilli powder to 30 grams and garam masala to 10 grams.

METHOD

  • Wash and chop the lemons in very small cube shaped pieces, remove the seeds.
  • Add salt and pepper and leave it overnight.
  • Next morning on a slow fire, cook lemons in an stainless steel pot for 10-15 minutes with lid covered so that lemons are tender and cook properly.
  • When lemons are tender, add sugar, carom seeds and garam masala and cook on slow fire for 30 more minutes or till the sugar syrup is thick enough with nice glaze around the lemons.
  • Leave it to cool. When cold fill in a sterilize jar, it is ready to serve.


35 comments:

  1. Ooohhh I haven't had lime pickle in a long time! Thanks for the reminder, great recipe :) Thanks for joining us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Tina, try the recipe, it is good without oil.

      Delete
  2. I was just talking about making my own pickles! YUm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that looks gorgeous - I like lime pickle but the shop bought ones are a bit plasticy. I've not heard of carom seeds though so I'll need to hunt those out first. #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Stephanie, you can skip carom seeds if you can't get it, still your pickle will be tasty.

      Delete
    2. Thanks - that's useful to know :)

      Delete
  4. pickle looks yummy. appetizing.wish to have with curd rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon pickle looks so good.I love lemon pickle. I make it using the long method... leaving the lemon pieces in salt and lemon juice and haldi till it gets soft. Next time will try your quick method.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not try lime pickle before! This sound so lovely and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try your Lime Pickles, awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great weekend.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miz Helen for such a lovely comment, I will see you next week.

      Delete
  8. This and some curd rice, yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  9. We haven't made lemon pickle in a long time..my wife used to make in India. The one without oil is a much better option, will try your tips sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Hope to see you tomorrow!! Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Elaine, yes I will see you tomorrow.

      Delete
  12. I love homemade pickles, this sounds wonderful! I love that it can be used to treat stomach upsets too. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again this Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really good! Wonder what you would serve it with? I have made quick pickles before but not this kind. One for the cooking bucket list! Thanks for linking with #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy, It can go with Naan and some curry or with any rice preparation like pulao or biryani.

      Delete
  14. Hope you can stop by Fabulous Friday again and share more of your very unique posts... love the lime pickle that you shared at my last party http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/fabulous-friday-party29/
    Thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Maria for such a nice comment, yes I will join next week.

      Delete
  15. Once again I am pulled in by your story as much as I am by your recipe! I love pickles, any type, any vegetable, and I usually do a large variety each year. This is new to me and I'm very intrigued! I too will make mine with modern conveniences, but I am amazed at the way our ancestors figured all these things out without gas or electricity! Excited to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Nikki, your comments are always encouraging me to write more nice stories.

      Delete
  16. Oh I love pickles, but I've never tried a lemon or lime one before. Thanks for sharing your recipe Sadhna. It sounds great and it lovely to know that it's free from preservatives and still lasts for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, this is very simple recipe and yes it has no preservatives. Thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
  17. Do I use the salty liquid in the sauce ?

    ReplyDelete