Monday 27 July 2015

VEGETABLE SPRING ROLLS (BAKED AND FRIED)

VEGETABLE SPRING ROLLS
(BAKED AND FRIED)


It is never late to learn anything in this life provided you are interested in learning, that is what I personally think. For this to happen, we need to have the attitude of wanting to learn, and to not think we know everything. You can be a jack of all but you can not be master of all. Some people think they are master of all, to these type of people when I try to explain something, it is impossible because their glass is always full and their answer is always, “I know this and I know that already”. If you keep your glass half full at least there is room to listen and grasp something new from somewhere or from somebody.


Talking about learning, when I was in Southern Africa, in 2007 I joined “Weigh Less” because I wanted to shed some kilos. This is very similar to the weight watchers of the Americas (with a few differences). I got some good results and lost some kilos. Together with losing weight, I learned very important information on how to cook food using very little oil or how can we replace frying by grilling or baking in a recipe.


Though at that time, I had problems when I was following their weigh less formula for food, because they had no books or recipes for vegetarian people like me. I had to replace meat fish, eggs etc. with my vegetarian protein. I learned about how we can make the same recipes in a much healthier way by changing the cooking techniques. Until today, this information is playing a vital role in my life and in my cooking journey. It does not mean I do not eat any fried food, but I have restricted it to only one meal in a week.


This recipe of baked spring rolls is a very good example of low-fat cooking because very little oil is used but it still tastes just as good as the fried version. If you make low-fat or baked items instead of frying them, you will have to compromise a little bit with the taste but the benefits of eating low-fat foods are endless.


I have tasted different fillings for these spring rolls in different restaurants, whenever I go to restaurants if springs rolls are on the menu, I definitely take one plate and try. But this filling is my own creation which is my favourite of all because it has got some form of protein and sprouted mung beans are there together with some veggies. Check the recipe here on how to sprout your own mung beans.


 


RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 12 spring roll pastry sheets
  • oil for frying and for glazing the baked ones

FOR FILLING
  • One big onion
  • One big green pepper
  • 100 grams frozen corn
  • 100 grams sprouted mung beans
  • 200 grams paneer OR Haloomi cheese
  • Salt and black pepper for taste
  • 2 tbs oil
  • 1 tbs ground mustard seeds

METHOD
  • Heat oil in a fry pan or wok and add mustard seeds.
  • Fry onion and green pepper together for few minutes till they are soft.
  • Add sprouted mung beans and cheese and cook for few more minutes.
  • Add salt black pepper and keep it aside.
For Baking

  • Preheat oven at 180 degrees C
  • Cut the spring roll pastry in 4 pieces.
  • Arrange them in alternate order in a cupcake tray and grease with oil each sheet, spoon the filling in it.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes till they are light brown as shown in the photo.

For Frying

  • Heat oil in a wok or fry pan.
  • Take one sheet of spring roll pastry, place filing in the middle, one tbs of filling and fold from all sides, give shape as desired.
  • Fry in a hot oil till golden brown.
  • Serve hot with any taste of chutney or ketchup.












50 comments:

  1. ooh yum! I like to make these baked and they come out just as nice. Thanks for sharing and joining us today for Meatless Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a wonderful spring rolls..Loved all of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooovee spring rolls! I dont think I have ever had a non vegetarian one though. Thanks for sharing. i had always wondered how to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! These sound so delicious. I love how you have the flexibility to fry or bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Carlee for vising my blog and for your comment.

      Delete
  5. Previously I'd always be nervous of cooking this type of food too often as I've always thought it'd needs heaps of oil. But knowing it's just as tasty using your recipe with only a little oil I may just have to make it a regular feature in our house :-) Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Hayley for your lovely comment, yes please try and enjoy the baked version.

      Delete
  6. Wow! I love your amazing spring rolls!
    It is always hard to find a good recipe for vegetarians. Your look scrumptious!
    Thanks for linking up with us #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring rolls looks delicious and loved the baked version....and spring rolls are my absolute favourite!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too good with tempting looks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very healthy and tempting spring rolls, looks so, so delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum! this sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely spring rolls. Love the halloumi or paneer idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've done it again!! You never cease to amaze me. Thanks for stopping by #FoodandFitnessFriday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love spring rolls too and order them at restaurants every chance I get as well, in fact I had some last night, a seafood version. Your vegetarian version sounds wonderful and I like having the option to bake or fry them. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, I also love spring rolls as I have mentioned in the post.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for bringing these wonderful treats for our Fiesta Friday party. I love that they are all healthy versions of the not so healthy variety. You've baked them and used less oil, and that definitely is a huge plus in my books. I especially love the baked spring rolls. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sadhna, your spring rolls look so delicious. I love that they can be baked or fried too - it's great to have a flexible recipe like this. The filling also sounds really tasty as well as healthy. Thank you so much for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Hop community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April, Thanks very much for such a nice comment, I am happy to be part of Health and Soul community.

      Delete
  16. Delicious vegetable spring rolls, love that you baked and fried. pinning and tweeting, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swathi for your comment and for pinning and tweeting.

      Delete
  17. Hi Sadhna,
    This look and sound delicious and filled with healthy protein. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & twitted.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sadhna, you always inspire me with your stories, I love how you take a lesson and put it to practical use! I don't eat much fried food, especially since I am gluten-free, I sure do miss spring rolls and wonton stuffed goodies. I love the way your filling looks and I am sure that I could use it in another way! Thanks for sharing this at WAYWOW linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Nikki., Your encouraging comments means a lot to me.

      Delete
  19. Who can resist these healthy, delicious ingredients. I can't wait to make this dish at home. It would be great for parties too!Thank you so much for sharing your Vegetable Spring Rolls with us at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Deborah for your comment and for pinning and sharing.

      Delete
  20. Looks delicious. Nice baked version too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum These look good!! Looks good!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party!! Hope to see you again this week!! I pin everything on my 2 favorite things pinterest board!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We would just love your Vegetable Spring Rolls, they look delicious. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again soon.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. YUMMY !!!
    Your spring veggie(!) rolls look absolutely DELICIOUS !!
    If I could I'd grab them all right out of the screen

    ReplyDelete
  24. spring rolls in baked style, sounds interesting and delicious ...

    ReplyDelete