Monday 3 November 2014

BEETROOT SALAD WITH GREEN LEAVES

BEETROOT SALAD WITH GREEN LEAVES
(Suitable for vegans)


Beetroot has a distinctive quality of red colour. In all its recipes, whether we eat raw or cooked, it's nice red colour appeals people like me to eat it because very few vegetables have such a beautiful red colour. When beetroot is cooked with other vegetables its colour overpowers the colours of other vegetables.


When I was working in Botswana, our senior education officer was organizing a lot of workshops and meetings for teachers, I had attended many of them. The big problem for me in those meetings was to get vegetarian food, though in some instances I used to order a vegetarian meal, well in advance. Normally they were not catering for vegetarian people but sometimes I was lucky enough to get grilled potatoes if it were there in the menu. The second option was to eat salads only and beetroot salad was always there in those meals because beetroots are an integral part of an African meal. So I really enjoyed and ate a lot of beetroot salad in those workshops and meetings.


In this salad, I have lightly boiled the beetroot, and I am also using its green leaves with some thinly sliced onions.



RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 large beetroot with leaves
  • one large onion
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • one tbs lemon juice
  • 8-10 walnuts
METHOD
  • Boil the beetroot for 15-20 minutes till they are tender, leave it to cool.
  • Wash and chop the green leaves, spread as the base in the serving dish, sprinkle the lemon juice.
  • Chop the onion into thin slices, spread on top of the leaves.
  • Grate the beetroot and mix olive oil, spread as the top layer of the salad.
  • Sprinkle salt and pepper on it, decorate with walnuts and serve.

This can be served to 4-5 people as a salad to accompany the main meal.

This recipe I am sending as my blog entry for the event, and for Tasty Tuesday January 6th event.









                                                                                                                                                           



I am also sending this recipe for another event, and one more event, and Cook blog share event,and for Inspire me Monday event., and No croutons required February, and Delicious dish Tuesday.












9 comments:

  1. This is a really good looking salad, I like beetroot salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a healthy & delicious salad! I love the addition of the walnuts. Thank you for sharing this post with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks dear, and it is very simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing on Tasty Tuesdays! I love your stories along with the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer for visiting my blog and reading the post.

      Delete
  5. I love beetroot and we grow it in the summer months so I'll remember this for when we have fresh ones to harvest :-) #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found very informative blog when I was reading this. I was searching this kind of information since a long time. Thank you for sharing it.
    Herbal Potpourri

    ReplyDelete