Monday 8 December 2014

PALAK PARATHA (INDIAN FLAT BREAD WITH SPINACH)

INDIAN FLAT BREAD WITH SPINACH



Spinach has many varieties, my favorite is the small tender one which is baby spinach and English Spinach, which we easily get in Calgary. Getting these types of spinach was a big problem when I was in Botswana, where I lived for a long time. The only spinach we used to get was white silver beet spinach because this was locally grown there.



Spinach is a type of vegetable which can be used in many ways and many varieties of dishes can be made in my kitchen. In Indian cuisine, spinach is mostly made in combination with other vegetables and lentils. One very famous snack is spinach pakoda (fritter), and a very famous restaurant dish is palak paneer, when spinach is made with Indian cheese as a side dish.


These parathans are my grand children's favourite dish. Feeding vegetables to children is always a challenge. They themselves are not interested in eating any vegetable, this recipe will hide the green leaves. Kids will only see the colour and they like colourful food items. This recipe is also good for their lunch box, provided we keep in a lunch box which can keep the parathas warm.


I had the pleasure of cooking fresh spinach straight from my kitchen garden for many years in Africa. But the type of spinach we grew there was the long white silver beet spinach. My husband was growing many vegetables in our kitchen garden there, the problem with spinach was that we had to water it every single evening without fail. The heat and the direct sunlight during the day was making the leaves of the spinach wilt and lie flat on the ground in the evening. I remember, my children would remind me every evening to water the plants, saying that, “Mumma, your spinach is already dead lying on the ground, water it quickly.”

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 500 grams brown bread flour/ whole wheat flour
  • 500 grams baby spinach leaves ( One bunch)
  • salt to taste
  • chilli powder to taste
  • One teaspoon cumin seeds
  • Two tbs oil
  • Oil for roasting.

METHOD
  1. Wash and rinse the spinach leaves 2-3 times in water.
  2. Put the leaves in a pot for boiling on a low heat, it will take 10-15 minutes, till the leaves are tender. Leave it to cool.
  3. When cold, blend the spinach in a food processor.
  4. Now prepare the dough, take brown bread flour in a bowl, mix all dry spices and 2 tablespoon oil. Make the dough with spinach, no additional water is needed. Spinach should be added slowly to make a hard dough.
  5. Pinch small pieces of dough and make small balls then flatten them so that it is easy to roll.
  6. Roll them in a small size of roti.
  7. Heat the cast iron tava or fry pan and roast them on both sides, applying little oil and roast till they are brown on both sides.
    Theses parathas can be served hot or warm. Hot will taste better with yoghurt or any pickle. They can also be served with juice or any other drink of the choice. You can make around 20 or more depending on the size, can be served to 5-6.
This recipe i am sending as my blog entry for the Breakfast event.
And also for Hearth and Soul Hop event, and with Cook blog share, and with Way wow link party,








I am also sending this recipe for Showcase your talent event, and for Meatless monday event, and Weekend-recipe-party, and for Tasty Tuesday event, and with full plate thursday, and with Lunch box recipe for back to School, and with Extra Veg.












                           



21 comments:

  1. Very nice looking parathas ! Loved the pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought you have added some sesame seeds on top, but i guess that gloss is coming from the cumin seeds. Its one of the most satisfying meal one can have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder your grandchildren love these! Thank you for sharing your healthy and delicious paranthans with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds lovely! I miss parathas, actually I miss all indian food! I haven't been home in so long, and I struggle to find a good curry in America. I think you need to come cook me some of this :) Great idea of making it more healthy by adding spinach :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina for visiting my blog and for your comment.

      Delete
  5. What a delicious sounding recipe! My kids would love to help me make these and Iam sure they would love eating them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had this special Palak-Paratha, but it sure looks good and I would love to try it. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a very special weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your recipe! I've just been experimenting this week with making wild garlic masala dosa, so would like to try your palak paratha too. Do you make your own chutney?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, yes I make all types of chutney and pickles. You can check on my blog I posted few already like -http://herbsspicesandtradition.blogspot.ca/2014/09/red-plum-chutney.html

      Delete
  8. This looks like a great flat bread. I recently made naan bread for the first time and was surprised by how easy it was. I love the addition of spinach in your bread. Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Kirsty, I am glad you made naan.and found it easy to make. Ya this is healthy spinach bread. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  9. Sadhna, we have tried to grow spinach, we love it, but it didn't grow well for us, perhaps I need to water it more! Do you still plant a garden each year? I love your posts, I always learn so much about you and your family as well as get an incredible recipe! Thanks for sharing so much of yourself! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki, I do not plant a garden here in Calgary because the weather is very cold, only we try something in summers.Thanks very much for your comment dear.

      Delete