Tuesday 4 August 2015

BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE (Lassi)

BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE (Lassi)


Canada is a country of berries, we get many types of berries in plenty in their season. To name a few of them strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, black mulberry, cranberry etc. I am not only enjoying them as fresh fruits but am using them a lot in my kitchen and testing and making a lot of new recipes out of them.


These berries were not available in some places of Africa,where I lived for many years. We only got them tinned or canned. In Canada, I see them freshly available in the shops. Some of the berries I have seen for the first time in my life!


Where you live influences the kind of fruits and vegetables available there. Like I remember, when I was in Kisumu, Kenya in 80's I really missed apples, which are easily available in many parts of the world, but not there. Only very small (lime) size apples were available in the winter for a very short period of time. Maybe now, because of modern transportation, they are available in Kisumu also today.


Blueberries available here are not only yummy, they are full of nutrients as well, and I have read many articles on them being good for the health of women. In this smoothie I have used frozen blueberries because smoothies are consumed cold, it is very easy to use the frozen ones, they need to be taken out from the freezer 30 minutes before you use them.



RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 200 grams blueberries (frozen or fresh)
  • 400 ml yoghurt
  • 2 tbs sugar
  • 2 glasses of cold water
METHOD

  • Thaw or wash blueberries properly.
  • Put yogurt, water, and sugar in a blender and pulse for few minutes.
  • Add blueberries and pulse again for few minutes.
  • Serve chilled.
    5-6 glasses can be made.





51 comments:

  1. lovely blueberry lassi. Sadhna, we get apples every where now. Vendors too sell them on the street along with grapes. Yes, I remember a time when apples were a luxury here. However, blueberries, blackberries, litchis, pomegranate and cherries are still like luxury items... very expensive whenever available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mayuri, so nice of you to give me the latest information about the lovely county India, I still miss that beautiful country

      Delete
  2. Love blueberries in smoothies. Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much needed for the hot summer .. Can I have a glass
    http://traditionallymodernfood.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Vidya, come and taste. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. I just love blueberries.....I will try this smoothy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather is super hot and humid right now, and this fantastic lassi would be just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love every type of berry! This smoothie looks and sounds delicious. In my ones I use honey instead of sugar which is a delicious alternative! Thank you for sharing with #cookblogshare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty, i think using honey is a good idea, i will try next time.

      Delete
  7. This looks so yummy... I'm not a big fan of blueberry BUT I would give this a good whirl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blueberry smoothie sounds really interesting....and it looks wow...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always find it interesting what foods are available where. We take blueberries and apples for granted in the US, but there are many places where they would be considered "exotic" fruits.

    Thanks for sharing on Creative K Kids' Tasty Tuesdays link up. Hope to see you back next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audery, ya , that is true, it depends what fruits are we getting here.

      Delete
  10. Very refreshing and delicious smoothie!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds amazing! I froze some blueberries we picked a few weeks ago. I'll have to give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing on #FoodandFitnessFriday!

    Jebbica
    http://jebbicasworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jebbica, I am sure you will definitely like it.

      Delete
  12. I love this fusion drink. I have everything in this Lassi going in for me. For the inviting colours to the nutritive quotient, truly Sadhnaji I am so much in love with this creation of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sadhna,
    I think smoothie are wonderful, but simple and tasty way to get loads of nutrients. Love your recipe with the blueberries & yogurt. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & twitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marla. I am happy that you liked my recipe, thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  14. Hi Sadhna, Canada really does have some wonderful berries and produce. I really miss some of them! We do get some lovely blueberries here in the UK though - and your smoothie looks like such a delicious way to use them. Sharing your post. Thank you for being a part of the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a great smoothie and blueberries are a favorite! Thanks for your story and your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Smoothie looks so delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blueberries are really fresh and good right now! Thanks for linking up with us again for Meatless Monday

    ReplyDelete
  18. We could drink this yummy Blueberry Lassi everyday in my house! I've been using coconut yogurt lately and it works very well! Thank you for sharing this healthy and delicious recipe with us at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing. I can't wait to see what you share with us next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah for your comment and for pinning and sharing.

      Delete
  19. Looks very refreshing...we get strawberries pretty easily in the East of US.

    ReplyDelete
  20. yummy smoothie. i love blueberries a lot. Nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sadhna, This looks so delicious and refreshing! I love anything made with blueberries, and this time of year, make it an ice cold lassie! Pinned and Shared! Thank you for bringing this to the #OMHGWW! Looking forward to seeing you next week! Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine for visiting my blog and for pinning and sharing. Yes I will join next week.

      Delete
  22. Looks Yummy!! Thanks for linking up on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday Link Party!! Hope to see you again tomorrow!! Love partying with you!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love adding fresh berries to smoothies, this sounds delicious and refreshing! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE smoothies. I've recently seen lassi in shops so I must try your recipe! Yum! Thanks for linking to #frifree4all. Don't forget to check back on September 18th for the next round up & Link Up!

    ReplyDelete