Monday 19 May 2014

PEAS AND SWEET CORN SIDE DISH ( Suitable for vegans)

  PEAS  AND CORN SUBZI 

        
When I lived in India in my youth, I had eaten corn grilled on the cob, and that was the only way I had tasted corn. When I moved to Africa in the 80s, being a vegetarian, we did not have the variety of vegetables that we used to eat in India. So we resorted to eating corn in different ways in our main meals.


In Africa, a variety of corn is grown on a very large scale. Cornmeal is a staple in an African's diet. In Kenya, cornmeal porridge is the traditional main in every meal and is called 'Ugali' in Swahili, in Botswana they call it 'Paleje'/'Paapa' in Setswana (local language) or just traditional porridge. This is their main dish which they eat with meat or vegetables almost every day.

Because this is such an important crop in the country, the Botswana middle school curriculum requires that agriculture is a compulsory subject in which all students must learn how to grow corn. My children also did agriculture in their junior school curriculum and they were taught how to grow corn.

The abundance and availability of corn throughout the year in Africa actually encouraged me to use it in my kitchen as my whole family is vegetarian and Indian vegetables were not available all the time. The other reason for trying corn in my kitchen was that two members of my family were great fans of corn – my husband and my daughter. I tasted this dish at a friend's place and loved it being paired with peas.


Now it is regularly made in my Calgary kitchen, where I use frozen corn and peas. If you get fresh corn and peas, please do use them, but when you cover and cook them, leave them for longer until they are tender (20-30 minutes).

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 500 grams sweet corn (frozen)
  • 500 grams peas (frozen)
  • 300 grams tomatoes
  • 200 grams onions
  • ½ bunch of green coriander
  • Salt to taste
  • Chilli powder to taste
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 tbs cooking oil

METHOD

  • Rinse and thaw the peas and corn.
  • Heat the oil in a broad pan or wok on a medium heat. Put cumin seeds and roast for few seconds.
  • Add finely chopped onions and saute till golden brown, add finely chopped tomatoes and all dry ingredients (spices) and saute for few minutes, till tomatoes are done.
  • Add corn and peas, mix well, slow the heat and cover the pot, let it cook for 10 minutes, stir occasionally.
  • Taste and check whether peas and corn are cooked properly. Garnish with finely chopped green coriander.
Can be served hot with roti, naan or dinner buns.

(Serves 4-6)


I am sending this recipe as my blog entry for the Cook Blog Share event.
And also sending for Extra Veg Fuss Free flavours eve , and with Happy Healthy and green blog hop.


                 

I am also sending this recipe as my blog entry for Virtual Vegan potluck party, and Recipe of the week event.
            

 I am also sending for Hearth and Soul Hop, and for Meat Less Monday, and for Tickle my tastebuds., and with Fiesta Friday., and with Free from Fridays.


.







                                   

22 comments:

  1. This sounds tasty - haven't come across this recipe before. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this, I bet it makes a lovely tasty side dish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great as always! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Sadhna! Wow! You lived in Africa too? Thats so cool, I love that you are sharing such cultural dishes with us, this sounds like a great side dish for any meal! Thanks so much for sharing with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This looks so delicious. Peas and corn are two of my favorites. Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who can resist this healthy and delectable dish! Thank you so much for sharing this
    Pean and Corn Subzi recipe with us at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of this beautiful dish, I'll be putting it on my side dish list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadhna, I love corn and peas, I'm sure that together they make for a fabulous dish. Aren't they so good when you can get them fresh? So sweet and tender. YUM! Excited to try this dish, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every time I see one of your recipes Sadhna all I want to do is either eat my laptop or start banging pots and pans in the kitchen. We love our sweetcorn here in South Africa and it's one of those dishes that always gets served at a braai. I can't wait to try your version. It's going to spice things up so nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so nice of you. Thank you very much for your lovely comment. This recipe is a very simple recipe, give it a try. You have reminded me the word braai, in Canada they call it barbecue.

      Delete
  11. I've never heard of this recipe before. I do love corn so it would be great to try! My husband would love the added spice. :)

    ReplyDelete