RED CABBAGE STIR-FRY WITH COCONUT
Kerala style Cabbage Thoran
Kerala, which is a state in India, situated on the western coast of India is so beautiful because of its greenery, beaches, and backwater canals. Kerala is also called “God's own country” because the land is so beautiful, surely the Gods must reside here. Kerala is famous for its magnificent beaches surrounded by coconut trees, which attracts a lot of foreign tourists. Kerala is also known as “Land of Spices” because many spices are grown here. It’s hot and humid climate is suitable for the growth of many spices. Black pepper is largely grown in Kerala, which is used all over the world in almost all cuisines, as well as cashew nuts and cardamom.
This stir fry which I made with coconut and curry leaves is a Kerala style vegetable, which is called “Thoran”. This word thoran is used for many other vegetables also like green beans, cabbage etc when these vegetables are thinly sliced, stir fried and made with shredded coconut (you can use desiccated coconut too) and curry leaves and few other ingredients. In Kerala, they eat this with rice and any sort of curry like sambhar or rasam etc. But people in north India like me can eat any vegetables with roti, chapatti, naan or paratha. The reason behind this is that wheat is the staple food in north India while rice is the staple food in the south and east India.
There are a few purple colour vegetables and fruits given to us by nature. Health specialists are always advising us to eat these purple colour vegetables and fruits, because of their enormous health benefits.
Though I have realised that there is a difference in the taste of green cabbage and red cabbage, but why not eat the red cabbage to get all the benefits of its colour.
- 1 small red Cabbage (500 grams) thinly sliced
- 2-3 tbs of shredded coconut/dry desiccated coconut
- 1 tbs mustard seeds
- pinch asafetida
- 2-3 red whole dry chilli (optional)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 20 curry patta leaves (green)
- 2 tbs coconut oil (any other oil)
- Heat oil on a medium flame in a frying pan.
- Add oil, when hot add mustard seeds and asafetida
- when seeds start popping, add red chili and green curry patta leaves, saute for few minutes.
- Add cabbage and stir fry for few minutes, add salt (to taste) and black pepper, continue to stir fry till they are a bit soft but crunchy.
- Add shredded coconut and mix well.
- Serve hot as side dish with rice or roti, naan, dinner bun etc.
I am sending this recipe as my blog post entry for Friday free for all, and with real food Friday, and with Food and fitness Friday., and with Fiesta Friday, and with Meat less Mondy, and with Hearth and Soul blog hop and with Tuesday tutorials, and with Creative kids Tasty Tuesday, and with Happy healthy and green party, and with Cook blog Share, and with Way wow link up, and with Full plate Thursday, and with My Two fav things on Thursday,and with Great idea Thursday., and with Extra Veg blog hop together with Fuss free Helen, Utterly scrummy food, with What'd you do this weekend,, and with Food Year linkup.