Friday 4 March 2016

SEMOLINA MATHRI, CRISPY SAVORY SEMOLINA COOKIES



SEMOLINA MATHRI
CRISPY SAVORY SEMOLINA COOKIES

This is a famous Indian traditional savory snack. My mother always made this dish on festivals like Diwali, Holi etc. In Delhi, India, it is still popular as a weekend breakfast/brunch with potato curry.


I remember, in my youth, in India, how we youngsters enjoyed this mathris during weddings in the family. In those days, whenever we had a wedding in the family, the tradition was to distribute big sized mathri and laddus (sweet balls) to all friends, far and close relatives, neighbours etc. after the weddings. A big amount was also given to the groom's family by the bride’s family as well.


During those days, professional cooks were arranged to do all the cooking well in advance at the bride's house and these items were made on a very large scale to distribute, to offer to guests and family members.





Those days, I had really enjoyed this awesome snack with something like Indian pickle, chutney or potato curry etc. This was one of my favorite morning breakfasts for many days before or after the wedding, LOL, when we are young we eat a lot! As culture and traditions are dynamic, so this tradition has also changed and now at the time of weddings, people prefer to distribute sweets or nuts which they buy ready made from the shops.


Some people use white flour to make these mathries instead of semolina. But the taste of the semolina one is much better than the white flour one, as they are crispier and healthier as well. According to Indian traditional belief, semolina which is a cream of wheat is considered much better to use in different recipes compared to white flour because it is the purified form of wheat and is very good for digestion. Many other savory snacks and sweet items are also made with semolina, which is very popular throughout India.




RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 kg Semolina, finely coarse
  • 2/3 cup oil for the dough
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tbs Kasoori methi leaves (dry fenugreek leaves)
  • 1 cup water or more
  • Oil for frying


METHOD

  • In a big bowl, mix semolina, salt, methi leaves and 2/3 cup of oil.
  • Mix well for ten minutes, add slowly one cup of water or more and make hard dough.
  • If you find the dough is too hard you can sprinkle some more water. Cover and leave it for 10 minutes to set.
  • Divide the dough into 5-6 pieces.
  • Take one piece and divide it into 15 pieces and make around 15 small balls out of it and flatten them on the palm.
  • Roll them in round shape and size like small cookies.
  • Heat the oil on a slow flame in a big fry pan or wok.
  • First, fry these 15, on slow fire till the color is light brown.
  • Take it out on a paper towel, leave it to cool.
  • Fry all of them like this in batches. Finish the whole dough in 4-5 rounds. Leave it to cool.

Serve hot or cold with tea or coffee. It can be also served with any chutney or pickle of taste or even with potato curry, as a light meal or breakfast time.


Pack in an airtight container, they can last for a month or more, on the shelf. 60-70 mathri can be made with this dough, depending on the size you make.

I am sending this recipe as my blog post entry for meatless Monday, and What do you do this weekend and Sunday Fitness and Food link, with Happy Healthy and green party, and Tasty Tuesday,, and with Cook Blog share and Hearth and Soul blog hop, and with Tuesday Tutorial,, and with Way wow link party, and yum yum linky, and with Fiesta Friday, and with Real Food Friday,, with Full plate Thursday and My two fav things on Thursday

























64 comments:

  1. I've never used semolina like this. I have eaten Cream of Wheat, though. I like it! I love your personal history with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very innovative mathri recipe I have ever seen.. I mean I can not imagine semolina mathri... Very much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnanks Priya for your comment. Yes they are made with semolina.

      Delete
  3. WOW! Love the recipe. looks so crispy and yUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies look delicious. I haven't heard of fenugreek leaves, Something new for me to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting recipe with semolina. Love savory snacks and I can't say no to this one. yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew you could bake with semolina. These look lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we can bake, fry cook all sort of things with semolina, it is a great ingredient. Thanks for your visit and the comment.

      Delete
  7. I"ve never cooked with semolina how interesting! Thanks for linking up with us for Meatless Monday today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, give this lovely ingredient a try, you will enjoy. Thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
  8. This is a new kind of cookie for me. I used fenugreek when I nursed my babies:) That's how I know it. Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hanks Ilka for your comment. Yes I know fenugreek is very a good herb for nursing mothers.

      Delete
  9. These sound interesting and I love reading about the tradition and memories behind it. So it looks like you serve them with tea and with savory foods, could they be served with jam or fruits or are they more of a "cracker" type that would be served with savory foods?
    Thank you for linking up with us for Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, yes they are like cracker type, they will taste better with savory foods not like jam or fruits. Thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
  10. These look so delicious! I absolutely love savory foods, so I can't wait to try these. I also have some Fenugreek on the spice rack that I was not sure how to use, so now I know what I will do with it! Thank you for joining the link-up. Have a Great Week!! Pinned :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela for your lovely comment dear and for pinning.

      Delete
  11. The mathris look so crispy and I love the flavor of fenugreek ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. These mathris sound amazing, they must be great with the traditional potato curry. #CookBlogShare
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really enjoyed reading this post - so interesting to hear about the traditional wedding foods. I'd love to try these one day! #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Mandy for reading and for your comment.

      Delete
  14. Semolina mathri looks so crispy and yummy..Love to have with mango pickle mmm mouthwatering..beautiful share :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cookies look so yummy and crispy! Thank you for sharing it with us #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy love mathri and I agree the Semolina ones are way crisper than the maida counterparts. Lovely clicks http://www.mumbaitomelbourne.com/food-and-health-blog-posts/mexican-mint-and-ginger-prawn-skewers-with-black-bean-salad

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never used semolina, thanks for sharing #yumtum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit, semolina is a lovely flour, give it a try, you will like it.

      Delete
  18. These look delicious! I've never tried semolina before either which is a great new recipe to try! Thanks for sharing on #YumTum this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd love to try this Sadhna, they look delicious! I can imagine them with a coffee in the morning or afternoon snack! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sadhna,
    What an unique recipe. Sounds delicious. Thanks for Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think I've ever had semolina cookies, they sound wonderful and I love that they evoke such fond childhood memories! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful and unique cookies!! I do have semolina at home and I'd love to try your recipe. I always like to try different (and unique) recipes

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this new version of mathri.........must try on holi.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would love to make these cookies for my next book club meeting.The ladies would love them! I am so delighted that you shared your healthy and delicious this
    semolina mathri recipe at the Healthy Happy Green Natural Party! I'm Pinning and sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you Deborah, thanks for your comment and for pinning and sharing.

      Delete
  25. Love these mathri, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swathi for your comment and for pinning and tweeting dear.

      Delete
  26. These look delicious, Sadhna! What a wonderful accompaniment to so many things - or just on their own as well. Sharing! Thank you for bringing your Semolina Mathri to the Hearth and Soul Hop. Hope to 'see' you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April for such a lovely comment dear.Your comments are always encouraging.

      Delete
  27. New dish for me I made it with fine flour and semolina. I will try it surely.Happy Holi in advance to you to.
    shobhapink.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shobha for your comment, you can try only with semolina, you will like it.

      Delete
  28. Crispy Delicious Mathris..Nice presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for linking up to last week's Tasty Tuesday linky. I have been your recipe to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board. I hope you'll join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear for your comment and for pinning the recipe.

      Delete
  30. These cookies look yummy!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you again tomorrow! Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your Semolina Mathri look so crispy and delicious! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miz Helen for your comment, yes I will be there soon.

      Delete