Wednesday 27 May 2015

CREAMY SPINACH PASTA

CREAMY SPINACH PASTA


This recipe is as good and tasty as macaroni cheese plus healthy because of spinach. I always like the combination of the white/creamy colour of cream with the green of spinach.


Three years ago when I was in South Africa, my son was throwing a surprise birthday party for his wife. He invited around 50 people to that party, it was organized in his friend's house. My son asked me to make this creamy spinach macaroni and gave other dishes to other ladies to cook in their homes. I did all the preparations in the absence of my daughter-in-law because it was a surprise party.


In South Africa, we hardly get baby spinach, the only variety available there is a long white silver beet spinach, as I mentioned in my Palak Paratha post. I sliced the spinach and kept it in the freezer, one week before the party. This made my job easier and faster for that day because silver beet spinach takes more time in chopping and cooking. While my daughter-in-law was in her office, I cooked this creamy spinach pasta in a big pot for 50 people. Everybody enjoyed the pasta and many ladies were asking the recipe.


I have tried and tested many times that butter and ground mustard seeds go very well in pasta dishes, even some of my friends have started using this tip of mine, which I have also used in this recipe. In this recipe, full fat whipped cream is used which tastes better but for lighter version half cream and the half, milk can also be used.

Remember that my First blog Anniversary event is still running, click here to join the celebration.



RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 200 gm pasta
  • 200 ml whipped cream
  • one bunch of spinach washed and thinly sliced.
  • One big onion, finely sliced
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
  • 2 tbs butter
  • 2 tbs ground mustard seeds
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1tbs oil to be added at the time of boiling pasta

Method
  • Keep 1L water in a big pot and boil pasta in it with some salt and one tbs oil.
  • Once boiled al dente, remove the water and rinse the pasta in cold water and keep it aside.
  • Heat butter in a frying pan then add mustard seeds, once it sizzles add spinach and some salt and cook on a medium flame.
  • Once spinach is cooked, add pasta and mix well, cover it for 5 minutes.
  • Add cream and black pepper powder, now it is ready to serve.


46 comments:

  1. Hello Sadhna, sorry for replying u late, actually my lappy went to repair and i couldnt connect, sure u can join the shhh cooking secretly event.. will ask Mayuri to add u in facebook group.. Thanks for ur interest..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priya, no problem at all, i will check with Mayuri, Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Hi!!..Nice blog dear..The pasta looks very inviting!!...Please do visit my space!!
    www.masalakorb.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Padma ,thanks for visiting, I will come and see your space.

      Delete
  3. What a labor of love this must have been to serve 50 people! I can see how good the spinach would be in this recipe, bringing some relief from the every so creamy macaroni! Thanks for sharing this on FF and congrats on your one year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dish sounds delicious! I love the idea of adding spinach to mac and cheese. We are lucky to have an abundance of spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pasta looks yummy love the spinach flavourhttp://traditionallymodernfood.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm this sounds lovely and comforting, especially when it is cold and rainy outside here. Thanks for linking up with us, this is just what I can daydream about this afternoon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pasta looks simply too good, love the spinach in it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love creamy spinach and adding the pasta makes this a great dish. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday, I just pinned this recipe it looks so good! Hope you are having a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. pasta luks damn tasty n tempting..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a great cook and you cook for 50 people! Wow! I can't even cook for 15! I love baby spinach. They are so healthy. Thank you for joining in with us #pintorials have pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen for pinning,by chance I have seen that you are hosting a party.

      Delete
  11. Healthy & delicious pasta.............like the spinach twist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the mustard seeds and the spinach in this- creamy deliciousness!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious! And I love spinach. Pinned and tweeted! Thanks for linking up and sharing with us at Funtastic Friday. Hope you join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry for pinning and sharing on twitter. Yes i will join this week.

      Delete
  14. This creamy pasta dish sounds wonderful Sadhna, I love the addition of the ground mustard seeds, no wonder it was such a hit at the party! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great. I've never thought of mixing pasta and spinach, it sounds tasty! Thanks for linking up this week. I am pinning it to the Creative K board on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love serving pasta like this – so quick, easy and enormously tasty. Thanks for linking with #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  17. My husband looooooooooves pasta! He could eat pasta every single day :)
    I like this recipe, as I love spinach

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great idea to add spinach to the mac n' cheese! I'll have to keep that in mind since I am trying to add more veggies to my meals. I have never used ground mustard, but I do have several recipes that call for it. Usually I just skip it, guess I am missing out on some good flavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Emily, you should try ground mustard seeds,they are really good in Pasta.

      Delete
  19. This is really yummy looking! Found you through the link party from View From In Here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never heard about using ground mustard seed in pasta, this entire dish looks delicious! I love how you put the story with the dish! How was the surprise party? I'm sure everyone ate well and had a great time! Thanks for linking up, I love reading your recipes that you weave into stories. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Nikki, such a lovely comment, thanks very much, yes the party was nice. Thanks agin for visiting and reading the story.

      Delete
  21. Creamy, healthy and yummy! This my kind of comfort food! Thanks for sharing your Creamy Spinach Pasta with us at the Healthy Happy Green & Natural Party. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah for your comment and for pinning and sharing.

      Delete
  22. We are urgently in need of kidney donors in Kokilaben Hospital India for the sum of $500,000,00, (3 CRORE INDIA RUPEES) All donors are to reply via Email only: hospitalcarecenter@gmail.com or Email: kokilabendhirubhaihospital@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +91 7795833215

    ReplyDelete