Tuesday 18 July 2017

RICE PUDDING IN SLOW COOKER AND A POST ON A SPICE- SAFFRON

RICE PUDDING IN SLOW COOKER AND A POST ON A SPICE- SAFFRON



Saffron is an exquisite and luxurious spice which is the most expensive spice in the world. I checked the price if I can buy online, yes it is available but I will have to pay $20 only for one gram or $500 for an ounce. I was always wondering why the price of this spice is always high, though I am using it from decades in my recipes and even seen my mom using this spice. But never did the investigation why the price is so high.


(This is not an advertisement, just showing the spice to my readers which  I used in this recipe.)

When I started writing this post, the first question in my mind came is to find out, why it is so expensive, after so much googling I got the following answer. The price is so high because it is the most labour-intensive crop. It is stated in the following website that 80,000 crocus flowers must be grown, cared, hand harvested and processed to make one pound of saffron. This is considered to be the most precious spice in the world. Ccheck this website.


One more reason for the high price is that it is produced in very few countries, India is one of them. It is grown in the Kashmir valley of North India. Even though it is very expensive, it is worth using because of its color, exotic flavour and is qualities. It is popularly known as “Kesar” in the Indian sub-continent and it is also called a gold spice.


In Indian cuisine, saffron is used in many sweet items particularly those prepared with milk or milk products like puddings, milk fudge, beverage in which milk is used, smoothies, home-made ice creams and many more. Apart from milk products, it is also used in Mughlai vegetarian and non veg dishes, stews, rich curries and in rice dishes like biryani etc. Saffron is used in European, Indian, Pakistani and Arab cuisine.


The aroma, flavour and colour of saffron are unique. When I use in cooking, I mix few threads of saffron in a small amount of warm milk and leave it to dissolve its colour and then mixed in the recipe to release its colour and aroma. Very small amount of these threads are used in cooking.


Saffron is used as medicine in many traditional Asian, Chinese, Unani and African methods of healing. In Indian Ayurveda, which is the ancient healing system, and is a science of healing with natural herbs and natural means, it is the best and most unique medicine, which can suite anybody, which improves the body immunity and gives energy to the body. Saffron improves circulation and purifies the blood. Saffron has a lot of minerals and vitamins. This spice has a lot of health benefits and some other uses are also there, which are explained nicely and in detail in the following website.
Apart from food, saffron is used in many skin products and face washes for a smooth and healthy skin.


I enjoy cooking using the slow cooker; it is not only easy and convenient but also aromatic and healthy. In Indian cuisine, we use a lot of spices to get the maximum health benefits, taste and aroma of these spices. Slow cooking is best in many recipes like this one. I have experienced that whenever I use the slow cooker, the aroma of the spices are really enhanced and that is when we can get the real benefits of these spices.
This is my mom's recipe, I am glad to share her recipe on my blog. I used the slow cooker for her recipe to enhance the flavour of this exotic spice saffron. This is a very simple recipe with very few ingredients.

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • One liter milk
  • 100 grams white rice
  • 200 grams sugar
  • Few threads of saffron
  • Pinch cardamom powder

METHODS


  • Mix few threads of saffron in 2 tbs warm milk and mix it well, leave it for ten minutes to release its colour.
  • Rinse rice 2-3 times in water, till you get the clean water.
  • In a slow cooker add milk, rice, the mixture of water and saffron and cardamom powder and cook on high for four hours. Stirring after one hour.
  • When the pudding is thick enough add sugar and leave it for 15 more minutes.
  • This can be served hot or cold from the fridge depending on the taste.



35 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!! Slow cooking indeed brings out all the flavours of saffron!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that's so interesting Sadhna, we have crocus growing in our garden. It produces the most beautiful purple flower in Autumn and they require very little care. They kind of just do their own thing. If I'd know that their little stamens were actually saffron, I would have harvested a few for a friend of mine that has a catering business. I'll make sure I save some for her next Autumn and maybe in return she'll make me your delicious rice pudding ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really, Crocus flowers are there in your garden, yes they are nice purple coloured flowers and the small yellow petals inside the flower is saffron. Please harvest them in next Autumn. And this spice is so expensive, you can give it as a gift to someone who can use it,LOL

      Delete
  3. This is a very interesting post - not only a delicious recipe but also a bit of useful information about a spice I don't know much about. Thank you for bringing it to #CookBlogShare. Followed you on Twitter and Facebook:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Monika for your comment and for following me on twitter and facebook. I followed you back on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest as well

      Delete
  4. I love saffron! thanks for sharing this lovely recipe with us

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds absolutely delicious with the subtle spices, I just love rice pudding - so comforting :-) #cookblogshare
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you so fully explain the health benefits of saffron. I don't often think to use it in any recipes, but you make the addition of it in your recipe sound absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jelica,for your visit and the lovely comment dear.

      Delete
  7. Such an easy slow cooker recipe! I don't often use my slow cooker for desserts but I did make a steamed pudding in it this week and now I'm keen to try more slow cooker puddings! I'd love to try slow cooker rice pudding now. Thanks for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Corina for your comment dear, I am very sure you will enjoy this recipe.

      Delete
  8. I use Saffron a lot, Sadhna, so I was really interested to learn more about it. I also really like the rice pudding recipe - I never thought to use saffron in rice pudding, but I use it in rice and risotto all the time! What a great idea - and such a lovely recipe in the slow cooker. Thank you so much for sharing, and for being a part of Hearth and Soul. Shared on the Hearth & Soul Facebook page and scheduled to tweet tomorrow. Hope you are having a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April, I am glad you love saffron and use it a lot and you also like rice pudding. Thanks for your lovely comment and for sharing on facebook and tweeter, so nice of you and thank you.

      Delete
  9. I love Rice Pudding, it is so comforting! Thanks so much for sharing your post with us at Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you will come back and visit us again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miz Helen for your visit and the comment, yes I will join you next week.

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed learning more about saffron and its cost. It is a marvelous spice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually new that saffron was the most expensive spice in the world, but its wonderful stuff. I have never considered a slow cooker for rice pudding and it sounds wonderful. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Leanna for your lovely comment dear. Pudding tastes much better in slow cooker.

      Delete
  12. I adore saffron, thank you for bringing this to FF. Very informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So interesting learning more about Saffron! I love this recipe and really fancy warming up with a bowl of this rice pudding right now! Thanks for joining in with Simple and in Season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so nice of you. Thanks very much for your comment dear.

      Delete
  14. Saffron adds such a lovely colour to it! It is a different take on rice pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Thanks for sharing such amazing information with us. Visit Ogen Infosystem for creative website designing and SEO Services at an affordable price.
    Best Website Designing Company in India

    ReplyDelete

  16. Hi, I'm kimjolly. It's my initiative for learning in the field of Mandarin in UAE. if you are keen interested in learning Feel free to visit my website also contact our 24*7 assistance for all query related to Chinese Language institute in Dubai.

    ReplyDelete