Thursday 3 July 2014

FIG HALWA

FIG HALWA



Fig is not a very common fruit like apple or pear which is available throughout the year. The fresh fig is available here for a short time, but the dried fig is available throughout the year. Fig is called anjeer in the Hindi language. Figs are famous for its nutritional value, I have seen a very big list of its health benefits in Ayurvedic treatment which is an ancient Hindu art of healing with natural fruits, herbs and spices.


I have tried and tasted fresh fig, but was not a big fan of it. But I really like cooking with fig and have several recipes which use fig, like this halwa. So even though I am not eating this fruit but getting the benefit of all the nutrients in it by eating other dishes made with it. Most of the time in my recipes I have used dried fig because fresh fig was not easily available in Africa where I lived for many years. The other reason I started using these dried figs in my recipes is that they were always there in my pantry, because my husband always buys them, as it is my husband's favourite fruit.

In July Hindus fast from grain on Mondays of sharavan month. According to Hindu Calendar, shravan month falls in July and August. This Fig halwa is suitable for those fasting Mondays and other Hindu fasting days, like Ekadashi and Navratri too (when they fast from grains but are allowed to eat fruits). This halwa is very nutritious and healthy.


RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
  • 200 grams dried fig
  • 100 gram sugar
  • 100 grams finely grated mava (khoya)
  • 50 grams ghee
  • 50 grams sliced almonds
  • 1tsp cardamom powder
  • 1- 1/2 cup water
METHOD


  • Wash and remove the top stem if it is hard and soak dried figs overnight in around one and half cup of water.
  • Next day morning make a paste in a food processor.
  • Heat the ghee in a wok or fry pan, add the paste and saute till water evaporates and it is changing the colour.
  • Add sugar and stir for 5-10 minutes more so that water from the sugar evaporates.
  • Leave it to cool, when cold, add grated mava and cardamom powder.
  • Garnish with sliced almonds.
This halwa can be kept in the fridge for 8-10 days. It can be served hot or cold. Can be served as a sweet dish to 6-8 people. It can also be kept in a deep fridge for few months, and when required can be heated in the microwave.

I am sending this recipe as my blog entry for the event, and for Foodie Friday., and with Real Food Friday., and My two fav things on Thursday., and with Fiesta Friday, and with way wow link party,














I am also sending this recipe as my blog entry for cook blog share event, and cooking with herbs event, and with Totally Talented Tuesday.,and with Weekend recipe link up party, and Friday frenzy party, and with Creative Spark Link party, and with C.Kids Tasty Tuesday.












                                         

         
                                                                         

21 comments:

  1. This looks pretty darn tempting! Thanks for joining in with #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you about eating raw figs - Eew! Baked though they are lovely. Thanks so much for joining in with #FoodieFriday - New Linky open later x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried raw figs, but I've had dried figs a few times & liked them. They're so nutritious; I should eat them more often! Thank you for linking up at our Creative Spark party. Hope you'll join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sadhna,
    This sounds delicious and simple to make. As a child we used to make at Christmas time - peanut butter stuffed figs which we loved. Thanks for sharing all the health benefits - which I was not aware of. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays and have a healthy, happy, blessed Christmas & holiday season. Pinned & tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Marla,thanks for your such nice compliment.and for pinning and tweeting this recipe.

      Delete
  5. I am not a big fan of figs alone either but maybe in a dish like this I would enjoy it. Happy Fiesta Friday and thanks for bringing this to the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judi for your comment. You are welcome dear, i am also part of Fiesta Friday from last so many months.

      Delete
  6. It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing it with us at Fiesta Friday!
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks very different and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the opposite from you--I love fresh figs and I don't like dried figs as much. Though what I don't like about dried figs is mostly just how dry they are, so I think I would really like this halva as the figs are rehydrated a bit in water and then mixed with some lovely sounding flavours!
    Thank you for sharing this. I'm gradually realizing how many different types of fruits and vegetables can be made in a halwa preparation style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for reading the post and for your comment.

      Delete
  9. Looks Yummy!! I love figs!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite things on Thursday! I'm excited to start the party back up tomorrow and hope you will join me!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sadhna, I really enjoy figs. Especially when it's in a jam or preserves, even a chutney. Your recipe sounds really good. I think I like dried figs better than fresh also, to snack on in a granola.

    One time I layered an almond granola crust with poached pears and figs. I used cream cheese and Brie on top.

    Obviously, you wouldn't use the cheese but I bet you could use a little honey on top of that and it would be excellent.

    Now I'm hungry for some fig granola!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, so nice of you, thanks for the nice comment dear.

      Delete
  11. Anjeer dry fruit


    Pahadi Hub was provides Pahdi Herbs Dry Fruits direct from Himalaya at your door step

    ReplyDelete