India is the largest producer of mangoes. Many varieties of mangoes are produced in India, in almost every state a different variety of mango is available. I think every body likes mango in India, you will hardly find a person who will say that this is not my favourite fruit.
If I do a survey amongst Indians and ask these simple questions like
- “What is your favourite sport?” The answer will be “cricket”.
- “Which ones are your favourite movies? The answer will be Bollywood movies.
- “What is your favourite fruit? The answer will be,”Mango”!That is what I think.
In tradition Indian cuisine when food is served in a thali there are several items that need to be in it. Namely roti/chapati, rice, one or two curries, one or two dry subzi, some from of yoghurt, papad, and a sweet item. In that thali, a pickle is a must. In many restaurants, Indian thalis are still served in India as well as abroad.
This mango pickle recipe was given to me by my sister-in-law a long time ago. This is actually a traditional recipe which is cooked in the sun. I chop the mangoes in very small pieces without the stone, then it takes only 4-5 days to cook in sun rays, even few hours of sun rays in the window is sufficient for this recipe. My children start consuming as soon as I fill pickle in the jar, because they like when mangoes are crunchy and not very soft.
- 1kg green, hard, unripe mangoes
- ¼ l oil
- 60 grams salt
- 50 grams black mustard seeds (rai)
- 50 grams fennel seeds (saunf)
- 50 grams fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 15 grams turmeric powder (haldi)
- 30 grams chilli powder
- Wash and chop the mangoes in very small pieces and remove the stone.
- Mix salt and turmeric powder and leave it in a covered stainless steel pot for 24 hours, mangoes will release some water.
- Remove the water and spread the mangoes on a clean dry cloth for 2-3 hours.
- Grind the funnel seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and chilli powder coarsely in a dry grinder.
- Heat the oil on a high flame, switch off the gas and leave the oil to cool.
- When mangoes are dry, mix all dry ingredients, pour the oil and fill it in a sterilized glass jar.
- Oil should be on top of the mangoes, put it in in sun rays to cook for 4-5 days.One big jar of mango pickle is ready to use. It can last on the shelf for months.