Saturday 22 August 2015

CRISPY POTATO FRITTERS/ CRISPY BATTATA WADA/ AALOO KE PAKODE


When I first arrived in Africa in 1980, we landed in the city of Nairobi. My husband and I stayed in a 3-star hotel for one week, in that hotel there was nothing to eat except meat for main meals, we did not even get plain rice. There was some sort of shortage of rice there, so they were giving rice only once a week. There we survived only on breakfasts because bread and butter were available at the breakfast table only.
We were very new in the city, we had no idea of the place. One morning we went to the city center and asked people about Indian restaurants etc, there we met some Indians. Later they helped us by bringing home-made vegetarian food for us to our hotel.


This was my first foreign tour and Kenya was the first country I visited in my life. Without knowledge of local ingredients, we were walking for the first time on the streets of Nairobi, I saw some pathway vendors selling onions and potatoes. That was a big relief for me. I thought, at least, something I will get here to eat!


Potato is a type of vegetable which is used in almost all world cuisines and is also available everywhere in the world. Even in a remote area of Africa or Asia potatoes can be easily available. In Indian cuisine, a variety of dishes is made with potatoes. I particularly like this significant character of potatoes that they can be mixed and matched with many other vegetables when making curries and side dishes. We, food bloggers and foodies will definitely need this type of vegetables with which we can play around and invent new things.


RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
  • 4 big boiled potatoes
  • 100 grams grated paneer(optional)
  • 1 cup chickpeas flour(besan)
  • salt and chili powder to taste
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • pinch soda-bi-carb
  • oil for frying
METHOD
  • Grate boiled potatoes and add salt pepper and grated paneer.
  • Mix well and make small balls shape and keep it aside.
  • Make a thick batter by adding water in chickpeas flour together with salt, pepper,cumin seeds and soda-bi-carb.
  • Heat oil in a wok or frypan, when oil is hot, take potato balls one by one and dip in chickpeas batter and slip into the oil and fry lightly all the balls.
  • Take balls out of the oil, when still warm flatten them with your palms using the kitchen towel.
  • Fry again in the hot oil to make them crispy.
  • Serve hot with any chutney of your taste.

44 comments:

  1. Aloo fritters with garma Garam chai what more does one need. If it is raining outside then it is an added bonus. I think most Indians will echo my sentiments. I love the stories that you write about your real life experience in Nairobi. The idea of adding paneer to the potato is appealing to me. The fritters look so crisp and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Piyali for your lovely comment, I agree with you, we all Indians like fritter of any kind.

      Delete
  2. WOW!This looks so crispy and yummy. Love the idea of adding paneer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potato fritters are so crispy and loved to have it at any time

    ReplyDelete
  4. o man..why all the fried foods look so delicious! I won't stop eating just one or two. They are so yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, you are right, it looks delicious and taste awesome.

      Delete
  5. Batata fritters, lovely and tempting....Sure to get finished in a minute...Great snack...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is one Indian dish I love but cannot really eat b/c it's fried...boo! Still, I bet your version is the best of them all! :) Thanks for sharing this at #FoodandFitnessFriday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sorry, yes I know it is fried but you are right it is very tasty.

      Delete
  7. Yum those look fabulous maybe with some raita on the side. Thanks for linking up with us for Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great little fritter...do you eat these as a side or as a meal!! They look fabulous all by themselves! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you again this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. These fritters eat either as snack of side dish,

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you again tomorrow! Pinned!

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to try your Potato Fritters these look fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great day and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look tasty and that must have been a long three weeks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to hear you were able to find potatoes and onions in Nairobi back then, they are such staples in all kinds of cooking, and your fritters sound wonderful! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy for reading my story and for your comment.

      Delete
  12. I was interested to read about your experiences in Nairobi, Sadhna. It really must have been challenging being a vegetarian in that kind of hotel. I'm glad you finally found things to eat! Your fritters sound really delicious - wonderful comfort food. Thank you for being a part of the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up to this week's Tasty Tuesday! I've pinned it to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! I hope you'll link up again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have had such a wonderful full life, I love hearing more tidbits each week. And your food/recipes always look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your potato fritters look so delicious! How I wish you are my neighbour!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look delicious! Even my little boys should enjoy them :D
    #Pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooo these look tasty! crispy and crunchy food are probably my favourite and potatoes are always a yes in this house (much to my waists disappointment!) Thanks so much for linking to #YumTum

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look really tasty! I can't wait to try them here at home. Thank you for sharing and linking up with us over at the Welcome Home Wednesdays Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a fantastic new way to use my potatoes! Thanks for sharing at FTAF!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Sadhna...I can't possibly keep up with all your recipes...I have a backlog of ones that I want to make for my family. I know my son would love these potatoes and since he is the pickiest one in the family, I might just have to move this one to the top of the list.
    You are a dear for sharing.
    Hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Lynn, so nice of you. Thanks for such a lovely comment dear.XO

      Delete