Saturday 28 November 2015

GRILLED BABY POTATOES AND CREAMY BROCCOLI SALAD

GRILLED BABY POTATOES AND CREAMY BROCCOLI SALAD


Last year, around Christmas I made some cookies, which I had posted on my blog, they were soooo tasty that I gave them the name “Eat sum more Christmas cookies”. I thought it was a fantastic idea to give that name. Even on my blog people liked that name, some even appreciated it. But that was a festive season and everybody was in a festive mood.


I wish I could give some interesting name to this recipe too- like “Christmas on a plate” :). I do not know what people will think about it, but I hope you will like it. This idea came to my mind because this dish is so colourful, and three dominating colours of this dish - green, white and red appear at the same time on a plate.


Few months back, when I was watching Master chef India, the first vegetarian master chef TV show. I really liked some of the names given to the prepared dishes by some contestants in it. In a few episodes of that show, the judges gave some strange combinations of ingredients to the contestants, e.g. sweet potato, orange, cheese, lemon grass and oats (I just made up this combination, I do not exactly remember, what were the ingredients). The contestants were asked to choose at least three of them to make a snack item. I remember one contestant, after preparing a snack item, gave the name to the dish “Tea with mom”. The other one gave the name “Shadow of umbrella”. Judges laughed and appreciated the names given to the dishes by the contestants. Sometimes they look funny, but if they correspond together with the idea or some incidence with the dish they make sense to me, I really liked those names.


 Also, a very well known Indian chef, Sanjeev Kapoor, has given a name “Shaam Savera” to a dish on his website. Shaam savera means “Evening-morning”, in this dish two contrast colours are used, that is, dark green and white. It is spinach and paneer balls in the tomato curry. Wow, what a nice name.


Coming to the recipe: this is a low fat recipe because very little oil is used in potatoes and low fat cream cheese is used with broccoli. I have sprinkled paprika on top of the potatoes to give a nice colour and slight taste of chilli because paprikas give more colour than heat. This plate can be served as a full meal, as vegetables are there, protein is there in cream cheese and carb is also there in the form of potatoes.




RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 500 grams baby potatoes.
  • 1 bunch of broccoli (500 grams)
  • 2 big tomatoes sliced
  • 150 grams low fat cream cheese
  • 2 tbs milk
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • Salt, black pepper and paprika to taste
  • Few coriander leaves for garnishing.

METHOD

  • Boil potatoes till they are well done.
  • When cold, cut potatoes in half, toss with olive oil and spread on an oven tray, sprinkle paprika and salt on it.
  • Heat the grill at 200 degrees C, roast potatoes for 10-15 minutes till they look golden brown and crispy.
  • Slice broccoli in small pieces, either steam it for 10 minutes or heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, till tender but crunchy.
  • Leave the cream cheese out of the fridge to come to room temperature, mix milk, salt and black pepper in it.
  • When broccoli is cold, mix the cream cheese mixture in it.
  • Serve with sliced tomatoes, garnishe with green coriander.



65 comments:

  1. What an interesting combo! Great for winter. Thanks for joining us for Meatless Monday hope you will check out some of the other recipes this week too
    Confessions of a mother runner

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so tempting and delicious combo. Beautiful clicks dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy and yummy combo. tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so delicious and would be perfect for a buffet at a party! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a wonderful salad Sadhna !
    I really like the combination of flavors (ingredients) that you used
    I have no doubt I'd loooooooooove it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh yum! Those roast baby potatoes looks divine!
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both look very tasty, thanks for sharing on the Tasty Tuesdays Linky. I hope you will join us next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey for your comment, yes i will join next week.

      Delete
  8. Both the dishes look so tempting and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadhna, Thanks so much for sharing at #FoodandFitnessFriday! I removed it from the venison link-up and added it to the health and fitness one, no problem! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jebbica, soon after sharing I realized that it should be in the second one. Same to you dear.

      Delete
  10. Your baby potatoes & creamy broccoli look delicious, so colourful. I like the idea of using low fat cream cheese. Thanks for sharing Sadhna, popping over from #CookBlogShare :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the colors in this, I think Christmas on a Plate is indeed a fitting name, it all sounds delicious too! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The potatoes sound great and the creamy broccoli tasty.
    Thank you for sharing on the Friday Features Linky Party this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Karren, I think it is "Wordless wednesday" not Friday features link party.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful look to those potatoes. I'm going to have to look at that cooking series, Christmas on a plate is perfect. Thanks for bringing them to FF.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sadhna,
    This sounds delicious with all the broccoli and cream cheese. I have always loved baby potatoes. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marla for your comment and for pinning, tweeting.

      Delete
  15. Very interesting dish Sadhna
    , so colorful and full of flavor. Love this. Thanks for bringing it to the Fiesta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Johanne for vising and for your comment.

      Delete
  16. This looks delicious! Just perfect for Christmas. Thanks so much for sharing on the Healthy Living Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Anita for visiting and for your comment.

      Delete
  17. Sadhna, I am always looking for vegetable based dishes that my men will eat and this one will do the trick. Thanks so much for bringing it to us. I also very much enjoyed your lovely photography.
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Lynn. My blog is full of vegetarian dishes like this one.

      Delete
  18. What a wonderful crust on those potatoes! Thank you for bringing them to FF.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What great side dishes! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you again! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the thought of coming up with names for favorite plates of food! I would love this, I'm not a vegetarian, but my daughter is, so there have been quite a few mealtimes that I have not included meat, or I make the meat separate on the side. This looks delicious, I love crispy potatoes and fresh tomatoes, and I really like broccoli too, but to keep my blood thin I can't eat it often, but this looks like something I'd splurge on! And the Christmas Plate sounds perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the similar views of naming a plate of food. I wanted to give the name Christmas plate. Thanks for reading the post and for your comment.

      Delete
  21. You're right these colours are very Christmassy! Would love a plate of those potatoes right about now :-) Thanks for linking to #frifree4all

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm ready to get in my car and drive on over for dinner! Looks fabulous and so creative too. Thanks for sharing your creative cooking skills with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so nice of you. You are welcome dear, come will eat together, Thank you very much for this lovely comment and for your visit.

      Delete
  23. You've made me hungry, Sadhna... Lol. This looks delicious. Thank you kindly for sharing with all of us. I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear for your visit and for this lovely comment.

      Delete
  24. Just lovely and so nourishing. Thanks so much for sharing with NCR. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a lovely idea - I'd never thought to use broccoli like this - I have so many ideas now. Thanks for sharing with #ExtraVeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Helen, I am glad you liked the idea of this broccoli salad. Thanks for your comment dear

      Delete
  26. Sadhna, you know how much I love spring and this looks like Spring on a plate! I think I need to make one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These potatoes look incredible! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That broccoli salad looks so delightful. Reminds me of a summer picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This meal looks delicious! I love that you share so many different recipes, and they all sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never thought to put broccoli with cream cheese, but it sounds yummy! And I live potatoes cooked like that. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete