Thursday 4 June 2015

SAVOURY LENTIL BAKED CAKE

GUJARATI HANDWO/ HANDWA



Gujaratis make a variety of savoury snacks. Some of these snacks like dhokla and samosas are very tasty and famous all over India and abroad where Indian populations are living.



When I left India for the first time, my dependence on local bakeries and mithai wallas(local snack makers) was gone, and I found the need to make my own snacks at home. I learned many Gujarati snacks and other recipes from my friends and wonderful neighbours when I was in Kisumu, Kenya, as I have mentioned before in my earlier posts. The majority of the Indians in Kisumu were Gujaratis, and I even learned few Gujarati words there for easy communication.



Kisumu is a very beautiful city near lake Victoria. This lake is the largest lake in Africa and the second largest sweet water lake in the world. We had a nice view of this lake from our balcony though it was bit far from our house.  In the evening, we were getting a nice cool breeze from that direction on our balcony. During the weekends we were going for picnics by the lakeside, to enjoy the nice surrounding and the nice view of the lake.


Handwa/handwo is a savory baked cake, which is one of my favorite Gujarati snacks. It can also be eaten as a main meal with either yoghurt or any chutney of your taste or as a snack with evening tea or coffee. It is also a good snack/meal for picnics or trips etc because it can even be enjoyed at room temperature.



The main vegetable used in this recipe is bottle gourd, which in Hindi called ghiya/lauki or doodhi in Gujarati. If it is not available in your area, it can be replaced by marrow or zucchini.

My first blog Anniversary event is still running, click here to join the celebration.





RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  •  100 grams rice (½ cup)
  •  100 grams chana dal (½ cup) (split chick peas)
  •  50 grams mung dhuli daal (skinned and spilt mung bean)
  •  50  grams arhar dal (pigeon pea lentil)
  •  50 grams masoor dhuli dal (orange lentil)
  •  50 grams Urad dal (skinned and split black lentil)
  •  50 grams semolina
  •  250 grams dhoodhi/bottle guard or Zucchini (grated)
  •  250 grams onion
  •  1 cup yoghurt
  •   ¼ tsp baking soda
  •  1 tbs dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
  •  ¼ tsp turmeric powder
  •  Salt and Red chili powder to taste
  • 2 tablespoon sugar

FOR GARNISHING

  • 50 grams oil
  • 1 tbs cumin seeds
  • 1 tbs whole coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
  • 1 tsp carom seeds
  • 1 tbs mustard seeds
  • 3-4 cloves
  • 2 tbs sesame seeds

METHOD


  • 1. Soak all the lentils (dals) and rice overnight after washing in running water 3-4 times.
  • 2. Next morning grind coarsely in the food processor with little water.
  • 3. Add yoghurt and leave it for few hours to ferment.
  • 4. When it is lightly fermented add the grated dhoodhi and sliced onion, fenugreek leaves, salt, chilli powder, sugar and turmeric powder and semolina.
  • 5. Heat oil in a small pan on medium flame, once hot add all spices except sesame seeds, let them pop for few seconds.
  • 6. Add the hot oil with all the spices on the lentil mixture and mix well.
  • 7. Grease the rectangular oven tray and pour the mixture. Even out the top layer with a big spoon. Sprinkle on top the sesame seeds to decorate.
  • 8. Heat the oven on 180 degrees C. Bake for 30 -40 minutes till you see the top layer is brown as shown in the photo and insert the edge of the knife into the cake, it should come out clean.
  • 9. Let it cool and cut into small pieces. Serve hot or at room temperature with yoghurt or any chutney to taste.
Around 30 pieces can be made with this one tray depending on the size you make.

I am sharing this recipe as my post entry for Fiesta Friday, and with Funtastic Friday, and with Fabulous Friday, and with Friday Free for all, and with Meatless Monday and with what'd do you do this weekend, and with what are you working on,Wednesday link party, and with Hearth and soul blog hop, and with My legume love affair together with MLLA page and Susan's blog., and with Fill plate Thursday and Two favourite things on cooking and craft, and with Food and Fitness Friday, and with Cook Blog share, and with Bake of the week.
































39 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting and flavourful savoury cake! It looks like it has such a beautiful airy crumb and so many different legumes and grains...and spices for flavour! Looks absolutely delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, spices are giving such a nice flavour in it, you can try.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful and interesting cake!! I admit - I've never tasted such a cake, and now I'm super intrigued :) I wish I could have a slice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum Sadhna! Love the variety of your recipes! Thanks for linking up with us for MM! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That golden brown sesame crust is just hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake is absolutely gorgeous! I love finding recipes that not are traditional and teach of another culture. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so scrumptious! Thanks for sending it across to MLLA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the sound of this, especially served as you suggest with chutney! I'm always looking for more ways to use lentils, so thank you for sharing this recipe with #frifree4all

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious. Bookmarking. Will definitely make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liked your facebook page too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Radha for your comment and for liking my facebook page.

      Delete
  10. Ooh, who would have thought? That looks DELICIOUS!! Is it sweet like cake or savory like cornbread? It kind of reminds me of cornbread; looks like it's gluten-free as well so I really want to give it a try!

    Thanks for posting on Food & Fitness Friday!

    http://jebbicasworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jebbica for such a lovely comment. My pleasure, last week I missed the party.

      Delete
  11. I love savory cakes, this sounds wonderful with all the lentils! Your place in Kenya with the view of Lake Victoria sounds fabulous too. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Joy, it is really tasty.My pleasure, i also enjoy taking part in it.

      Delete
  12. This really looks good. Thanks for linking up and sharing with us at Funtastic Friday. Please join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Savoury Baked Lentil Cakes are such a lovely, wholesome snack Sadhna. I love it when delicious things have such healthy ingredients! Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very interesting!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party!! Hope to see you again this week!! Love having you!! Pinned!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a beautiful cake that I can't wait to try! Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe with us at Full Plate Thursday, hope to see you again real soon!
    Have a great day,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miz Helen,I enjoy your party a lot, see you tomorrow.

      Delete
  16. Being a gujrati.....this recipe is very close to my heart......☺

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing lentil cake, so healthy, at my last Fabulous Friday Party, I have been in Italy and just got back and ready to Party again, hope to see you at my party this weekend, starts tonight and goes until next week! Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, I actually checked few times to join Fabulous Friday party, I will join tomorrow.

      Delete
  18. Hi Sadhna! I have posted the roundup of MLLA here...Do take a look :)

    http://www.seduceyourtastebuds.com/2015/07/roundup-my-legume-love-affair-84.html

    Thanks for your participation in the event ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for informing, I will visit your site.

      Delete
  19. Like all your recipes Sadhna, your savory cake sounds absolutely divine. I can just imagine the explosion of flavors when you bite into it through that crispy sesame seed layer. Another one that's going on my list to try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right Michelle, this recipe has a lot of nice flavour of spices used in it, thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
  20. This sounds so interesting. I like lentils, but only have a couple of dishes that I use them in. I never thought about using them for a savory cake. I admit, though, that I would have to do a little bit of research on a couple of the ingredients in this recipe, as I am not familiar with them at all. They look fantastic though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy for your comment dear, yes I know some of the spices may be new to you.I have posted many recipes of lentils, you can check them.

      Delete