Wednesday 28 February 2018

GREEN PEAS PARATHA (INDIAN FLAT BREAD STUFFED WITH PEAS)

GREEN PEAS PARATHA (INDIAN FLAT BREAD STUFFED WITH PEAS)


In 2016, when I went to Delhi, India, I stayed longer than usual, for about 9 months due to many reasons, and also because now I am retired and I can stay longer when travelling. During my working career, while I was in Africa. I used to go to India only for 4-5 weeks in December holidays, which is the winter season in Delhi. I had no experience of staying in the hot summer of Delhi for many years. So in 2016, I found it very difficult to cope with the hot days and humid nights. But there was no choice, I had stayed on and experienced a very hot summer for six months, short rainy season and mild winter which was also short for two months only.


Here I would like to share a funny incidence – while I was in India, One day I was talking to my grandson on the phone; who lives in Canada. At that time he was in grade four, he told me that he read in his social studies course about seasons in India, and told me that there are four seasons in north India. He wanted to check my knowledge and asked me to name them. That time I was too frustrated with that long hot and humid weather that I replied, “Yes my dear, they are four – hot, humid, very hot and extremely hot.” He laughed a lot and asked, “Grandma, what's wrong with you”? Then I told him that I am really tired of this long hot and humid weather here in Delhi and I want to leave this place as early as possible.


In Delhi, winters are short, and mild which mainly last for 2-3 months. After that long summer, I really enjoyed winter season in Delhi. Apart from the nice weather, the other best thing about this winter was the colourful fresh organic vegetables which were available in that season: dark red carrots, cauliflowers, turnips, sweet potatoes, beets. And green peas were the main attraction for me. I really enjoyed the fresh green peas, which I got in plenty in that season and at a very reasonable price. I used them in many recipes and enjoyed them fully. In my long stay in three countries of Africa, i.e. Kenya, Botswana and South Africa, getting fresh green peas was a dream, which never came true. Fresh green peas were not at all available in Africa, and that is why I really missed them and was forced to use the frozen peas only. Even in Calgary, it is a luxury because it is available for a very short time, in Indian vegetable shops only and they are very expensive.


Being a foodie and a food blogger, I experimented a lot with this tiny, cute and green vegetable during my stay in Delhi and tried and tested some new recipes with it. Green peas recipes are not only tasty but healthy as well because peas are considered as the powerhouse of nutrients and have a lot of health benefits of eating green peas. Whenever I cook something with green peas my grandchildren will say, “Hey, today we are eating a powerhouse”, because I always force them to eat their vegetables and particularly the green ones like peas.


This is my favourite recipe, which I am sharing with you today. I really like the taste of these parathas and I am glad that even my grandsons like them too. Last night when I made them, both my grandsons told me that they would love to take these parathas in their lunch boxes for their lunch in school. Both fresh and frozen peas can be used in this recipe.



RECIPE
INGREDIENTS

  • 500 grams brown bread flour/whole-wheat flour/aata
  • 1 tbs oil
  • salt to taste
  • ! cup or more water to make the dough
  • oil for roasting the parathas

FOR STUFFING
  • 200 grams fresh or frozen peas
  • 1 tbs oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • Salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste

METHOD

  • In a bowl, take brown bread flour, add salt and mix water slowly to make a medium-firm dough, neither very hard nor soft, glaze the top of the dough with oil and leave it aside.
  • In a frying pan heat 1 tbs oil, add cumin seeds, when they turn to brown colour add peas with salt and pepper, mix well and cover the lid, leave it on a medium heat for 8-10 minutes till the peas are tender and done well and there should be no water left, peas should dry completely.
  • Let it cool, with a potato masher mash the peas.
  • Divide the dough in 8-10 pieces, make small balls and roll each ball as the size of a cookie,( 4-5 inch in diameter) stuff one tbs peas in it, pick all round area and close the mouth of the parathas and roll into 6-7 inch big in diameter, dust the flour when needed.
  • Heat the heavy-bottomed frying pan or cast iron flat pan. When the pan is hot,  roast parathas on both the sides, add drops of oil in all the surrounding of the paratha.
  • Cook until brown and crispy from both the sides, serve hot with any pickle or chutney of your taste.







42 comments:

  1. Sadhna, I almost ate my screen whole when I saw that 4th photo of yours. OMW, I love fresh peas, I can't bear the taste of them frozen though, it's not the same. Anyone who's had a pea straight from the growing pod knows what I'm saying. We used to grow peas in our veggie garden and they were the best ever. Such a pity that the growing/fruiting season is so short. You've just convinced me to start planning our crop for next Spring. Pinned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Michelle for your lovely comment. Yes,nothing can beat the taste of fresh peas, I enjoyed fresh peas when i was in India. My friend was also growing peas in her kitchen garden like you, in Botswana.

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! I'll have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. peas are in season, so this an apt recipe...

    I am hosting My legume love affair event…You can drop in any suitable recipes..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amrita, I have already submitted my recipe yesterday.

      Delete
  4. I love how your grandchildren say they are eating a powerhouse when you make them something with peas in! That is so cute. These do sound and look absolutely delicious. I've never made paratha but I do like to eat them. Thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Corina. Come to my place then will eat these parathas together.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much dear for adding this recipe...

    You can add more recipes to the event ...have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the answer you gave your Grandson about the seasons in India, Sadhna! That really made me smile. And what a lovely recipe you have shared. It looks so flavourful, and peas are so good for us as well. Thank you so much for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks very much dear April for the lovely comment.I am glad to be part of this lovely party.

      Delete
  7. Peas are coming into season so this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my most favorite Indian food dishes! I always order it when we go out. Thanks for linking up today for meatless Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really, that's good, come o my place then will eat together.

      Delete
  9. Your flat bread looks so special and delicious! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday and come back to see us soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Miz Helen for your nice comment, see you soon.

      Delete
  10. This looks really delicious, thank you for the early entry at Eat Your Greens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was in Delhi once in late May and it was unbearable! The day I left the monsoon broke and it was such a relief to feel the rain, although I imagine that it brought many problems of its own for the people who lived there. I really enjoy stuffed paratha. My kids aren't fans of peas at all so I might try this to tempt them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy for your visit and such a nice comment.I am glad you like the stuffed paratha.

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a wonderful recipe and lovely to hear your tales of your travels to India. It's somewhere I've never been, but I'd love to go one day...I am such a big fan of the food!! Thanks for linking this up to #CookBlogShare. Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks and sounds so comforting and delicious! I love how crispy the exterior looks with its soft and warm interior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dona for your comment, yes it is crispy from out side and soft inside.

      Delete
  14. I loved the story about the four seasons of India, I had a good laugh at my desk this morning. The way peas are nestled in the paratha looks delicious, we love peas and every year always eagerly wait for them to appear at the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so nice of you,Nicoletta, thanks for reading and for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  15. Sadhna, these look wonderful. I love peas. I love bread. What's not to love about this?! I'm going to Pin it to my Lunchbox board, since your grandsons thought it was a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look delicious! Thank you for sharing at Fiesta Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This article is extremely useful and intersting,Thanks for sharing such an instructive article with us.
    keep updating.....
    green coffee bean manufacturer in india

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't you need some water to make the dough?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eat Your Greens round up for March is now on my blog: http://the-veghog.blogspot.fi/2018/03/eat-your-greens-march-round-up.html

    Thank you so much for your contribution! I hope to see your recipe also in April! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, I will come and check.
    You are welcome..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your green peas paratha is so delicious. I love paratha but sadly don't make it that often. Thanks also for sharing with EatYourGreens. I am hosting this month and hope you will have time to join in again. Your recipes appeal to my stomach and my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Shaheen for such a lovely comment.Yes I will join this month again.

      Delete
  22. We provide the wide range of products that include: - Buy Online all Amul products Ice Creams, Momos, Dairy Snacks, Wheat Chapathi , Digital Cameras etc. Free Shipping and Cash on Delivery Available. VISIT : https://www.rtmart.in/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice blog Thank You for sharing this blog. Visit Our Site Rtmart.in Buy Online Wheat Parota, wheat chapathi , Momos etc ...

    ReplyDelete