Thursday 11 January 2018

MADDUR VADA , A SNACK FROM THE STATE OF KARNATAKA,INDIA

MADDUR VADA

A SNACK FROM THE STATE OF KARNATAKA, INDIA

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU


The New Year, 2018, has already started. I am glad to write this new post in this New Year, in a new season and in a new month of 2018. This year I am planning to bring lots of new recipes on the blog, which my readers are really going to enjoy. Normally people ask what your resolution is for the New Year, so my resolution for the New Year is to learn many new recipes from different cuisines. Some of my readers might think, yes, of course, what can be the resolution of a food blogger. But yes, I mean it, and I am serious about it because life never stops teaching us new things and we should never stop learning new things. What is your resolution for the New Year?


In this New Year, I am bringing in the first recipe of a starter. I have seen in many parties, whether they were organized by my friends or relatives that sometimes there is a lot of variety of appetizers or starters served in those parties, sometimes too much and some of the snacks were quite heavy because they were either fried or has a lot of cheese in them. In those cases, there was a problem for both guests and host, for guests, even though they can enjoy the starters but then there will be no room left for them to enjoy the main course meal. Even for the host, a lot of food will be left at the end of the party, which people will not be able to finish. I had also experienced that if the starters are too heavy, some people, serve the main course too late but again that is not solving the problem because if you serve the main course too late, then there is no appetite or mood left for the food.


I have personally experienced that problem once when I served four-five starters and learned a lesson for the future. Now in my house, whenever there is any party or gathering, I prepare only two starters, so that people can enjoy the starters and the main meal. And if one starter is a fried one, I make them bite-size portions so that people can still enjoy the starters and later the main course meal.


This recipe of a snack is from the state of Karnataka, India. This is a very tasty snack which can be served as a starter or can be enjoyed with evening tea or coffee. This famous snack is named after the town of Maddur. Maddur is a town from Mandya district in the state of Karnataka, in South India. This is an instant snack which can be made in 15-20 minutes with very simple ingredients; normally we have the stock of these ingredients in our kitchen/pantry. This snack is too tasty, I am very sure, if you make it once, you will love to make it again and again.

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup rice flour
  • 1/2 cup semolina
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (white bread flour)
  • 1/2 cup chickpea flour
  • 1 big onion
  • 4-5 garlic cloves
  • a small piece of ginger
  • 3-4 green chili (optional)
  • few leaves of curry leaves
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil for frying

METHOD


  • Finely chop onion, garlic, ginger, green chili and curry leaves
  • Mix well all the flours and add salt to it.
  • Now add all chopped onion, garlic, ginger, chili and curry leaves and mix well.
  • If the mixture is too dry sprinkle little water over it and mix well, make small balls and flatten them on your palm as shown in the picture.
  • Heat oil in a frying pan; fry them in batches of 6-7 in hot oil till the colour is brown.
  • Serve hot with any chutney of your taste.
I am sending this recipe as my blog post entry with Fiesta Friday and Sweet Inspiration link party and  with Hearth and Soul link party and cook once eat Twice and Meatless Monday
and Cook blog share











14 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear there be lots more recipes on your blog this year and you're so right Sadhna. We do tend to over eat when it comes to starters and then there's just no place left in our tummies for the main meal. Although when it comes to your cooking I would try my best to fir everything inside or I'll bring a whole bunch pf tupperware dishes with, if that's okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so nice of you, I really like the idea of bringing a whole bunch of tupperware, I want to serve lots of nice things to you. Thanks very much for your lovely comment dear.

      Delete
  2. I love how creative you are with your recipes. Thanks for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound really tasty - I love these type of snacks and would definitely want to eat a few if I was at your house! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome to join me, thanks for your comment dear and same to you dear.

      Delete
  4. Sadhna, you are so right...too heavy on the appetizers, and there's no room left to enjoy a meal. That's why when we go to a restaurant, we seldom order one. Now those snacks you're showing us look like cookies, but I know they can't be since they have onion and garlic in them. I know they're very tasty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Florence, you are right I also do not order the starter in the restaurant. Thanks very much for your comment.

      Delete
  5. Your Maddur Vada sound delicious, Sadhna! I totally agree, it's so important to keep appetizers light - after all they are meant to stimulate the appetite, not fill you up :-) These are perfect. I have many New Year Resolutions - one of them is to read more and worry less! I hope you are having a good 2018 so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, tanks very much April for the lovely comment dear. I like your new years resolution to read more and worry less. Yes so far so good.

      Delete
  6. Ooooh Sadhna these look lovely. I love discovering new dishes and this is one to try! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Kirsty for your visit and the comment.

      Delete