Thursday 15 September 2016

RAINBOW FRUIT SALAD AND A POST ON A SPICE- HIMALAYAN PINK SALT

RAINBOW FRUIT SALAD AND A POST ON A SPICE- HIMALAYAN PINK SALT



Himalayan pink salt is used a lot in Indian cuisine, it is considered to be the best salt for cooking, because of its amazing taste and health benefits. In the Hindi language, it is called “kala namak or sendha namak”. In English, it is also called rock salt which is still hand mined in Punjab, Pakistan. It is also produced in other Asian countries like India, Bangladesh, and Nepal. It comes in powdered as well as crystal forms.


Since my childhood, I have used this salt, because it was always available in my mum's kitchen. In my mum's kitchen, it was readily available on the dining table, for us, to add on top of salads and drinks if required to be added on top. I remember, in my childhood, when we brothers and sisters had a mild disturbance in our stomach, my mom would say, “ Take a pinch of kala namak (pink salt) and drink a glass of water, you will be fine.” I used to think, how come this salt can work as a medicine but it worked for us. In that era, in India, mum's were using their traditional knowledge, which was based on Ayurveda to treat small problems at home.


Ayurveda is an ancient Indian science of healing naturally, with the help of plants, herbs, spices and other natural things. This Himalayan pink salt has a specific place in Ayurveda, where it can be used for treating high blood pressure, balancing our body's acidity and alkaline, and can effectively detoxify human body. 


This salt is used in Indian and South Asian cuisines as a condiment in many dishes like raitas, fruit salads, chutneys, chats, pickles etc. This salt has a distinctive flavour which can be really enjoyed when it is added to the dishes which are ready to eat. For example- fresh veg salads, fruit salads, different types of raitas, (when we add cut or diced vegetables in yoghurt) and in many chutneys, dips, pesto and chats for garnishing on top. Since is it considered to be a cooling spice, it is also added to beverages like lemonade, orange squash or different types of savoury lassis (savoury yoghurt drink). It is also sprinkled on chips and fritters. If it is used during the process of cooking, we may still enjoy the health benefits but the aroma of the salt can disappear during cooking. Chat masala which is an Indian blend of spices, black salt is the main ingredient in it.


This pink salt is appreciated by some vegans in dishes to mimic the taste of eggs for example to season tofu. This pink salt is considered as a cooling spice in Ayurveda and is used as a laxative and digestive aid. This salt is also used to treat hysteria and for making toothpaste by combing it with other mineral and plant ingredients. ( Source- Wikipedia)



 Note-  I am not advertising any pink salt.This is a picture for my readers.



It is considered to be the purest salt which is used in culinary, therapeutic and cosmetic uses. Check this website.


Coming to the recipe of no cooking and no baking. This fruit salad can go with any meal as a side dish or can be eaten as a starter.


RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 English cucumber
  • 1 big apple (200 grams)
  • 1 big pear (200 grams)
  • 200 grams strawberries
  • 100 grams blueberry
  • 1 big mango ( 200 grams)
  • Half sweet melon ( 200 grams)
  • 2 bananas medium size
  • 2 kiwi ( 200 grams)
  • Himalayan pink salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp dry mint
  • 1 tbsp chat masala ( optional)

METHOD



36 comments:

  1. HI Sadhna,
    Wow this looks delicious with all those yummy fruits and spices. I have been using Himalayan salt for almost a year now in place of any other salt and I really like the taste and I know how good it is for our body. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted! By the way its great to have you back on Real Food Fridays - I missed reading your wonderful posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H Marla, Thanks for your comment and for sharing on social media. Glad to know that you are using Himalayan salt already.

      Delete
  2. What a delicious, fresh and healthy salad Sadhna! Happy to see you joining in to our party and I could really use one or two bowls of this yummy vitamin bomb now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious and healthy! I think my kids would really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadhna, I have heard of pink salt, but I had no idea where it came from and how good it was for you. I've even seen it in the grocery, thought it pretty, but didn't get it. I now see that was a mistake!

    Once again, I love your posts as I learn about new things each time I stop by. The ingredients for this fruit salad are interesting, the addition of cucumber to the mix. And although I have had salt on apples and melons I never have had it on the other fruits.

    I'm definitely going to have to grab some pink salt and try this, it sounds delicious and it's obviously really good for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment dear. I am very sure you will enjoy pink salt on other fruits as well.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow this looks so good and unique! I heard Pink salt is so good for you and I even had a little sampler bottle but used it all up. Guess I need to get some more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah for your comment, please buy more, I am very sure you will enjoy this salt.

      Delete
  6. This is a very interesting combination of vegetables, fruit, spices, herbs and salt. I've been using pink salt for years and I love it. I even bought a couple of those Himalayan salt lamps - for cleaner air and better sleep. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tasty recipe! I actually use that Kirkland's pink salt... so glad to know more about it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadhna - what a beautiful salad! So full of raw and good-for-you nutrition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I switched to Himilayan Pink Salt recently now that I can find it in bulk at one of my favorite stores. Thanks for sharing on #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a healthy and tasty salad. I've seen the Himalayan pink salt around but I did not know that it had so many great benefits. Going to have to get me some now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment.You can try this salt t has a lot of health benefits.

      Delete
  11. Sadhna, it is to good to see you back. You have been missed. I love fruit salads but have never added any type of salt on them. Maybe if I can get a hold of this pink salt I can try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary for your comment dear, you can try adding this salt on fruits , you will love it.

      Delete
  12. This looks very delicious. Pinned for next spring when the fruits are perfect again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks amazing! Thanks so mcuh for sharing at Sunday Fitness & Food :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How very interesting! I loved hearing about all the different things this treats - and the salad looks lovely!

    Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty and colourful salad. I love foods with lots of colours, they are so much more tempting! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so interested to read about the health benefits of Himalyan Pink Salt, Sadhna. I love it, but I had no idea it was so good for me! This is a gorgeous salad, so pretty and so flavourful. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop. Hope to 'see' you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much April for your lovely comment. Yes I will join next week.

      Delete