Thursday 2 July 2015

YELLOW LENTIL CREPE

YELLOW LENTIL CREPE

MOONG KI DAL KA CHEELA

# EDITED:This post was featured in Healthy Happy and green party.

2nd part of the story, from the previous post.


My story and two of my recipes were published in the Airdrie Life Magazine in the end of April 2015, for their spring issue. I would like to give my sincere thanks to the Editor of the magazine for choosing to write about me in their community section.



Another thrilling and a dumbfounding moment came when the photographer emailed me and told me that he will be coming to my house to do a photo shoot on me and two of my recipes for the magazine. On the phone conversation, he informed me that he will photo shoot the whole process of my cooking then and there and told me not to cook anything in advance. I took a deep breath when I thought about a photo shoot of me; I even told the photographer later that, this is the first photo shoot of my life,  of course after my wedding, which took place a long time ago. Then the photographer wished me “This photo shoot should not be your last one!!” I laughed out loud and thanked him for putting me at ease. I believe in God's miracles, and I hope with God's grace more such incidences/ miracles of this nature will come in my life in the future.



The photographer, Mr Sergie Belski, came to my house and took all the photographs during the process of my cooking then and there in the comfort of my kitchen which I am sharing on this post. During the whole process of cooking and photo shoot together, he gave me the feeling of ease and comfort and said: “Do not rush in your cooking, take your time, I have no hurry to go home”. He advised me to continue smiling and cooking together, which was again a bit strange for me. Then I reminded myself the traditional Indian belief that food should be cooked in a pleasing environment, with pleasing mood and a happy feeling.



Here, I would like to give special thanks to him for not only taking my photographs for the magazine but also releasing them later in the month of June to me, so that I can share them with the recipes on my blog here, this is his website www.sergiebeliski.com.




Coming to the recipe, this is a very healthy recipe in which you will get a chance to eat a lot of fresh vegetables, filled inside the crepe. Vegetables can vary depending on the preference of the people eating it. In this recipe, I have used cabbage, carrots, and green pepper. A very small amount of oil is used to roast these crepes so this is definitely a healthy and filling recipe. This healthy meal can be enjoyed without any kind of complex carbohydrate, as there is the only protein of the lentil and fresh mix of vegetables. Any variety of chutney of your taste can be used here as accompaniment too. I served this with homemade coconut chutney and tomato ketchup. My homemade chutney recipe will follow in another post.                                                                                                                                       



                                                                                                                 



   RECIPE                                                                                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                                  
INGREDIENTS

  • 250 grams yellow lentil (yellow split mung bean/yellow husked mung bean)
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • 2 big shredded carrots
  • ½ green pepper shredded
  • 100 grams shredded cabbage (small piece)
  • few leaves of fresh coriander sliced
  • 100 grams cheddar cheese (optional)
  • Little oil for roasting the crepe

METHOD

  • Rinse lentils two/three times and soak in little water overnight or for 7-8 hours.
  • Grind the soaked lentils and make a batter or thick paste with very little water in a blender. It will take 4-5 minutes to grind the lentils, it will depend on the blender you are using. The batter should be finely ground and be like thick cake batter.
  • Heat a flat pan or a frying pan on medium flame; glaze the frying pan with little oil.
  • Scoop one big spoon of batter (1/3 cup) and spread evenly on a frying pan by giving a round shape like a pancake, sprinkle few drops of oil on all the sides of the crepe with a teaspoon.
  • Turn and roast on the other side in the same way, when golden on both sides take is out on a plate.
  • 8-10 crepes can be made with this batter depending on the size you make.
  • Fold half way through and fill with shredded vegetables and cheese.

Serve with tomato ketchup and/or any other chutney of taste.

I served with homemade coconut chutney and ketchup.
,
Note- Yellow split mung lentil is available in all Indian grocery stores/ Bulk barn in Canada/whole foods in U S A.

I am sending this recipe as my blog post for Awesome Life Friday, with Fiesta Friday, and with Funtastic Friday, and with Food and fitness Friday, and with Real food Friday, and with Meatless Monday, and with What'd do you do this weekend, and with Tuesday Tutorials, and with Hearth and Soul, and with Creative Kids tasty Tuesday, and with Cook Blog share and with what are you working on Wednesday, and with My Legume Love Affair,together with Lisa and Susan of the well seasoned cook and with Two favorite things on Thursday and with Full plate Thursday and with Great idea Thursday, and with Friday Free for all, and with Credit Crunch munch together with Helen at Fuss Free Flavours, and with Healthy happy and green party, and with Extra veg for July with Helen at Fuss free flavors., and with Food Year linkup.





































61 comments:

  1. Another lovely, wholesome recipe, Sadhna - and what wonderful pictures! Congratulations on being featured in Airdrie Life Magazine and thank you for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April, Thanks very much for your such a lovely comment dear.

      Delete
  2. Lovely recipe and congratulations!!....Loved reading through your experiences!!...Great share!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your magazine feature! Your dish is just beautiful. I can see why you were chosen and like your belief "that food should be cooked in a pleasing environment, with pleasing mood and a happy feeling". I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an honor and a wonderful experience. Congratulations!!
    This dish looks lovely- the healthiest crepes I've ever seen. :) I love the photos too- mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats for the feature published....dish looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crepe sounds interesting and delicious, and congrats dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sadhna,
    I am so glad that photo shoot turned out so well after all the hassles and congratulations on being published in the magazine - that's something to be really proud of! Love the recipe for the crepes - they sound so healthy. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & twitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marla for so nice comment and for pinning and tweeting.

      Delete
  8. Awwww this makes me so happy knowing that it went so well for you! You earned it :) Your pictures look great! Looks like you have a snake on the plate hehe. Thanks for linking up today, I would never think to use lentils, but thats awesome! Thanks for your support :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, so nice of you, your comments are always invigorating, thanks very much.

      Delete
  9. How cool to be featured in the magazine and to have someone professionally photograph your food. That is the hardest part for me! This looks fab as usual.Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you Deborah, thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  10. love the both parts and lovely way of making chilla, love those cute bottles, wish i can have it so my kids can have their sauces in it. congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both parts of your post. Mr Sergie Belski did a fab job! I love all the photos he took for you. Your food look so amazing and delicious! Looking forward to see your chutney recipe! #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Eileen, he did a great job, thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  12. That looks so good! Can I come over to your house for dinner? ;) Thanks for sharing on #FoodandFitnessFriday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic dish!! And you are certainly deserve to be featured :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun experience! The pictures are amazing and congrats on the feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlee for visiting my blog and for the comment.

      Delete
  15. I need to visit Asian store this weekend! Those lentil crepes look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your presentation and the way you explain. Privilege to be here :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos and presentation! Thanks for sharing with us at Funtastic Friday. Please join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! Thank you for linking up to Creative K Kids' Tasty Tuesdays. I have pinned your post to our Tasty Tuesdays Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Maria for your comment and for pinning.

      Delete
  19. Sadhna I love your recipes. I recently introduced myself to Indian cuisine a few years ago when I lived by a little Indian grocery store in Minnesota. I've been hooked every since. I research recipes and ingredients online and I just love all of the flavors (and healthy vegetarian/vegan dishes). This crepe looks delicious and pretty simple. I can't wait to try it. I'm looking forward to your coconut chutney recipe. I made some recently from a few recipes I found online and it was delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipes on Great Idea Thursdays I look forward to seeing many more of your recipes.

    -Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, that is nice that you are enjoying the vegetarian Indian recipes. Please go ahead any try, this crepe is really simple and nice. I will soon post coconut chutney.
      Thanks for your your nice comment.

      Delete
  20. How lovely to have a professional photo shoot in your home, I love all of the pictures! The crepes sound delicious too. Thanks so much for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sadhana
    Thank you for linking this cheela recipe to MLLA#85. Healthy and tasty recipe. Please kindly also link Lisa and Susan's page too in this post.
    Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jagruti, I will do so, sorry I forgot to link Lisa and Susan.

      Delete
  22. I so enjoyed reading this post, Sadhna, and seeing the wonderful photographs! How lovely to have the opportunity to share your wonderful recipes in such a great magazine. Thank you so much for sharing your Yellow Lentil Crepes with us. I really appreciate your support of our Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, so nice of you April, I have no words to give thanks to you. It is my pleasure dear.

      Delete
  23. Loved reading your experience . Kudos to you. Such a colourful and healthy dish!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your comment and for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  24. This looks great!! Congrats on the article!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Hope to see you again!! I love having you!! Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I bet the photo shoot was very scary!! I'd have been a nervous wreck! Well done you! Thanks for linking up your story with #frifree4all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hayley for reading the post and for your comment, yes it was

      Delete
  26. This dish looks so healthy and delicious. I can't wait to make your yummy recipe and enjoy it with friends and family. Thanks for sharing your Yellow Lentil Crepe with us on the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, I am happy that you liked it, thanks for sharing and pinning.

      Delete
  27. You look so proud, how you feel about your work shows through! Thanks for posting. Hello from Healthy Happy Green & Natural.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your crepes and especially the decoration:-) Thanks for a great entry to #CreditCrunchMunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on the feature. Lovely recipe and thank you very much for sharing with MLLA. I will be hosting the roundup for July soon on my blog on behalf of Jagruti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa for your comment and for informing, I will check it on your page.

      Delete
  30. Lovely recipe and what a beautifully plated dish, thanks for sharing with #creditcrunchmunch

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wholesale Supplier of Herbal Extracts wants to supply Shatavari Power- Canada. Herbal extracts are ideal for everyone, whether you are a Herbalist, an Aromatherapist, a Vegan business or a Natural Product Manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete