Wednesday 11 February 2015

LENTIL STUFFED BELL PEPPER

    LENTIL STUFFED BELL PEPPER


After my retirement when I was leaving Botswana in 2011 for good, I stayed in a hotel for 3 days. The hotel was very good, a 4 star one, but I was not sure whether I will get vegetarian food or not for my three day stay. I have experienced, in my long stay in Africa, that to get vegetarian food was always a problem.



So I made a request at the reception, to see the head chef of their main restaurant. We both, me and my husband, were thinking that we will request the head chef to prepare some vegetarian food for us in those three days.  After meeting the chef, I realized that he was my old student to whom I taught few years ago! He assured us that he will prepare nice vegetarian dishes for us, which was a big relief.



We both were totally amazed and impressed with his cooking in those three days. He prepared a variety of vegetarian dishes for us. This stuffed bell pepper was one of his best preparations. When he brought this dish to the table I could not believe that this is a vegetarian dish. The taste was awesome. Most of the filling was of lentils with some potatoes and onion with spices.   




Later I tried this dish in my kitchen basing on the taste of that day, it came out remarkably good. Thanks to that chef for offering me the dish. Now it is regularly made in my kitchen.


                    
RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 8 red/orange or green bell pepper of medium size
  • 1 cup whole brown Lentil
  • 200 grams potatoes (2 medium sizes)
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 2 teaspoon coriander powder
  • 2 tablespoon oil for coating the bell pepper
  • 200 grams grated mozzarella cheese
   METHOD
  • Rinse, remove the stem of the pepper, cut half way through, and put it aside.
  • Wash and rinse the lentils 3-4 times in water. Put in a pressure cooker with 1 and ½ cup of water, add salt and boil for 5-7 minutes after the whistle on a medium flame. Leave it to cool.
  • Boil the potatoes, and after cooling them chop finely.
  • In a big bowl, add potatoes and boiled lentils, salt, black pepper, dry coriander powder and mix thoroughly. The filling is ready.
  • Take all the bell peppers and coat the outer skin with oil or spray them with oil. Stuff this filling in all the peppers. Heat the oven to 200 degrees C.
  • Arrange the peppers standing in a tray. Bake the pepper for 20 -25 minutes till the pepper is tender from outside.
  • Individually on each pepper sprinkle the cheese on top leave it for another 5 minutes in the oven so that cheese can melt and brown a little on the outside.
Serve hot as soon as it is out of the oven. This is a full meal, can be served with toasted bread or dinner bun, with any drink of your choice. This can be served to 6-8 people.

I am sending this recipe as my blog entry for Weekend Recipe linkup party, and Bake of the week  party, and with Food Year linkup March, and with My Legume Love Affair , and with bake fest party,and with Credit crunch munch under pressure cooker cooking, and with real food Friday




























And with Cook blog share,and for First blog Anniversary, and for Meatless Monday, and with What'd you do this weekend.





























I am also sending this recipe as my blog entry for Tasty Tuesday event at creative kids, and with Tasty Tuesday at HonestMum.com., and with Hearth and Soul Hop event, and Friday Free For All February, and with Thursday link party, and Recipe of the week.
























59 comments:

  1. Wow, looks superb, very delicious and filling because of the lentil stuffing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. superb n lovely clicks too :)
    Please link your recipes to my event
    http://remyasean.blogspot.in/2015/01/first-blog-anniversary-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious – my mum used to make this stuffed with rice an meat but lentils sound even better #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE stuffed peppers, and I actually make something pretty similar to this sometimes, and it is delicious! Glad yours turned out so well. I did pin it on my pinterest for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look sooooooooooooooo GOOD !!
    Stuffed peppers are tradition here, but with lentil it's unique
    Pinning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum I love lentil stuffed peppers. One of my favorites. Thanks for linking up with us again for meatless Monday always nice to have you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been meaning to make one of these for such a long time! Thanks for the reminder girl :)

    lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful vegetarian recipe! Your Lentil Stuffed Peppers look delicious and they are so wholesome too. I have liked and re-pinned them from the board you sent me the link to. Good luck in the competition, Sadhna - this is such a great recipe! Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love bell pepper:-) looks amazing Sadhna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adore lentils here and stuffing peppers with them is genius. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always on the look out for new lentil based dishes as I don't cook with them enough, so thank you for this one :-) it'll be on the menu for us next week!
    Thank you so much for linking it to #frifree4all. I will pin & tweet it out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Thanks for sharing on Tasty Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Auntiy,
    Loved the dish! Loved the filling! I am going to try making other stuff like cutlets and bread rolls with the same. I always enjoy reading your story behind the dish too! Love Meera

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful story about the chef at your hotel turning out to be a former student! Sounds like a delicious recipe, pinning to try. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again this Monday morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. stuffed bell pepper looks colorful and yummy.inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Hope you come back tomorrow and share some more stuff!! Pinned!!
    http://www.cookinandcraftin.com/my-2-favorite-things-on-thursday-link-party8/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love stuffed peppers and this flavour combination sounds delicious.

    Thanks for joining in with #FoodYearLinkup x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so awesome to meet your student and they make sure a great effort to provide you the vegetarian food! The bell pepper looks gorgeous and yummy! #Friday-free-for-all

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello aunty, hope you remember me from Anil Sharmaji's place this weekend. Got your blog from Madhu and Rachna. Lovely recipes and all vegetarian. I am a big foodie and enjoy try out new recipes. Will surely try out some of yours !!! Regards, Mamtha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mamtha for visiting my blog, Yes I remember we met there. You can like my Facebook page to get all the latest information of the blog.

      Delete
  21. Delicious looking stuffed bell peppers Sadhna. I too don't know how to edit the recipe you linked so instead of deleting will leave it as it is. Normally whoever is curious will still click on it and come to the right place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mayuri for your comment, I will come and try to post it again.

      Delete
  22. LOVE stuffed bell peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely Blog and a wonderful post. Loved the inspiration and story leading to this dish. The dish is visually stunning and the idea of lentil stuffed peppers is amazing. Delicious fare and fabulous presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Piyali for such a lovely comment and for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  24. Lovely dish!Its colorful and Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Khusi for your comment and for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  25. Love these stuffed peppers and green lentils are a favourite here so must try this dish. Thanks for linking up to #CreditCrunchMunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm a big fan of stuffed peppers but don't cook them often enough, will have to make some soon. Thanks fro sharing with Credit Crunch Munch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen for visiting my blog, you can try this one it is very tasty.

      Delete
  27. Hi Sadhna,
    These stuffed peppers sound delicious. I love the idea of added the cheese. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Have a healthy happy blessed New Years. Pinned & tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marla for all your wishes and for pinning and tweeting.

      Delete
  28. Such a delicious and colorful dish with beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete