Tuesday 22 August 2017

CORN ON THE COB CURRY

CORN ON THE COB CURRY


One of the joys of life is to see your children move on in their lives and settle into beautiful relationships and start their own families. When my son announced to me about his special someone several years ago and his intention to marry, not only was I thrilled with the news but also the realization that she was the daughter of my best friend. I had seen her grow up right before my eyes, and now she was going to be my daughter-in-law. It was a warm fuzzy feeling that the friends I had known for so many years were now going to be family.


I wanted to share this good news with my friend as soon as possible, assuming that she may not know about this relationship. I called her and told her that I will see her in the evening that day. We (my husband and I) met that evening and gave them the good news. My assumption was right, they had no idea about this relationship and they were also thrilled with the news we gave them. That evening was remarkably good as we all enjoyed each other’s company more than ever before.


I am writing all this because today I am sharing her recipe. Many of her recipes are regulars in my kitchen and when corn was in season, this curry was always on her menu. Whenever I make her recipe I miss her a lot as she now lives in New Zealand which is far from Canada. I miss those days when we were together in Africa, when we used to chit-chat the whole day, enjoyed each other’s company, nice food and drinks. Yesterday when I talked to her she said, “That was the golden period of our life when we were together in Africa”.



Coming to the recipe, if you like corn, you will love this awesome recipe. To enjoy this corn on the cob curry, get ready to have messy fingers; that is the only way to enjoy this, you cannot eat this with a fork and knife!





RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 corn on the cob
  • 1 onion (medium)
  • Small piece of ginger
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup yoghurt plus 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp corn starch
  • Few curry leaves
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • pinch turmeric
  • salt and chili powder to taste
  • 1 tbs coconut oil ( any other oil)

METHOD


  • Peel the corn and slice into 3-4 pieces
  • Boil in water for 15-20 minutes till it is done.
  • Heat oil in a frying pan, add mustard seeds and curry leaves, let it splutter, then add thinly sliced onion and ginger, saute until light brown.
  • Add coconut milk in it plus salt and turmeric and let it boil. Add the beaten yoghurt (mix yoghurt with water and beat the mixture) and let it boil.
  • Add boiled corn in it.
  • Mix well cornstarch with 2 tbs water and add it to the curry and boil for one more minute.
  • Corn on the cob curry is ready; you can serve to 3-4 people.






34 comments:

  1. I love this corn curry and have made it so many times during my visit to Montreal as it does taste different from the white corn we use in Kenya. However, I've not made it with yogurt. I use only coconut milk and sometimes fresh tomato puree. Will try adding yogurt next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mayuri, I am glad you liked the corn here in Canada, ya they are different and sweet. You can try adding yoghurt next time.

      Delete
  2. I have got to try this Sadhna. We always eat our corn, or mealies, with loads of butter and some marmite. The curry, coconut mix really appeals to me. I just showed your recipe to my hubby and he's really keen to make it this weekend. I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, I am glad you liked my recipe and your hubby is going to try. Even me I enjoyed mealies that side because they ere very tasty. I miss that taste here, the one we get here are sweeter. Thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
  3. I love corn on the cob and I love curry great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what an awesome recipe - I love it! Though I can imagine it must get messy :-D Thanks for linking it up to #CookBlogShare. Eb x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EB for your comment, yes you are right, get ready for messy hands, that is the only way to enjoy this recipe

      Delete
  5. What a lovely way to serve corn on the cob, Sadhna! The recipe has so much flavour. This is real comfort food! It is lovely watching our children grow up and move forward with their lives. How lovely that your son married someone who was already almost part of the family. Thank you so much for sharing and for being a part of Hearth and Soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks very much for your lovely comment dear. Yes it is a very nice feeling that my friend is now my relative.

      Delete
  6. Omg this looks ah-mazing! I love corn on the cob, but never imagined doing anything like this and now I just want to dive into these photos. How perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Dona for your lovely comment and the visit to the blog.

      Delete
  7. This looks like something I need to try, however, please forgive me if I cut my corn off of the cob...I'm pretty much a disaster when it comes to eating corn on the cob! Thanks for sharing on Fiesta Friday! - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck - Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Yes you are right eating corn on the cob means making your fingers messy.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed reading the story of you and your friend. Sad you so far apart but wonderful that you have both lived in so many different places. I had no idea you had once lived in Africa. It sound wonderful. I love all things curry, so this looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks very much Leanna for reading the story and for your comment dear. Yes I lived in Africa for long time.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely story. I love your stories as much as the recipes! This is so unique and it sounds so delicious, I need to go find some corn!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki, Thanks dear, your comments means a lot to me. II am sure you will enjoy if you try this recipe.

      Delete
  10. WOW! That looks incredibly delicious! I can almost taste it from your photos and description!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so nice of you. Thanks very much for your comment dear.

      Delete
  11. It sounds absolutely delicious although I'm sure it can be messy too! I wouldn't mind at all. I picked fresh corn with my children today and this is a really original way to serve it. Thanks for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corina, Thanks very much for your lovely comment dear.This is my pleasure to be part of Cook once eat twice party.

      Delete
  12. This looks wonderful Sadhna, I have never tried corn curry but know this will by on my mind until I do now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never tired curried corn but it looks great and I do love curry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh give it a try you ill definitely like it.Thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
  14. Why have I never thought of curried corn before? This looks fantastic and will be one menu next week for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, thanks very much for your visit and the comment.

      Delete
  15. This looks delicious, Sadhna. We love corn at our house, so we'll have to try this out! And how neat that your son married someone who you had been able to watch grow up. The whole story is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sadhna that is such a sweet story that your son married your best friends daughter. I only wish something like that might happen to me. And it is also very sweet that you have kept her recipe and are sharing it with us now. I have always loved corn but never tried it with curry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so nice of you Mary to write such a lovely comment.Thanks very much for such nice comment dear

      Delete
  17. This looks SO good - I'm definitely giving this a whirl as I adore both corn on the cob AND curry - hurrah! Thanks for entering into Simple and in Season :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,you can try Katie, and I am sure you will like it.Thanks for your comment.

      Delete