Sunday 7 September 2014

AVIYAL (Kerala style mix vegetable)

Kerala style mix vegetable


Happy onam to all those who are celebrating.


My son-in-law is from Kerala and his palate is very specific about every cuisine, with a fondness for good food. Apart from Kerala food, he loves many north Indian dishes too. Whenever I am making Kerala dishes, I make sure that they are perfect in taste.


Before my daughter's marriage, I had no idea of Kerala food. I only knew masala dosa and sambhar with three-four colourful chutneys. My husband also loves masala dosa, whenever I go to the Indian restaurant, the first thing I check is if they have masala dosa in the menu. In south Indian restaurants, I go for paper masala dosa, which is more crisper than masala dosa.


This photo is of onam sadya. Sadya is a term used in Kerala for the full meal that is had on onam. This meal comprises several numbers of dishes (sometimes 10) served with rice, papad and aachar, and several chutneys. My daughter made all the dishes except aviyal, which I made. You can notice the mango pickle which I posted on my blog on 11th August.


Aviyal is one of my favourite dishes from Kerala. If I do not eat it for few months, I really crave for it. It is very colourful and its aroma is very nice with yoghurt, coconut and green chilli.


RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
  • 200 grams carrots
  • 200 grams beans
  • 200 grams pumpkin
  • 200 grams cucumber
  • 200 grams plantain
  • 1 cup yoghurt
  • 2 tbsp spoon grated coconut
  • 2-3 green chilli
  • 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
  • salt to taste
  • 2 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
  • pinch asafoitida (hing)
  • 6-8 curry leaves
Method

  • Wash and chop all the vegetables and grind the green chilli, cumin powder and coconut with little water and make a paste.
  • heat the oil in a frying pan, add mustard seeds, asafoetida, after few seconds add curry patta and saute for a minute.
  • Add pumpkin, carrot, plantain and beans with salt and cover it, till they are tender but not very soft, it will take 10-15 minutes.
  • Add the coconut paste and switch off the gas.
  • When aviyal is warm, fold in yoghurt.
A big bowl of aviyal is ready which can be served with rice. I even enjoy with roti or paratha.

I am sending this recipe as my blog entry for Friday-free for all event, and for Meatless Monday event, and for Tasty-Tuesdays event and for Hearth and Soul hop, and for weekend recipe party,and with Recipe of Week, and with Fantastic Friday, and with cook blog share,















                                        
                   


12 comments:

  1. This looks a great dish, something I've never tried. So as its a new year I must try this! It looks a great way to get lots of veggies too! Thank you for sharing on #frifree4all. Happy to have you on board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, looking forward to link more of my recipes.

      Delete
  2. This sounds wonderful Sadhna. I love the arrangement, how beautiful. I told you last week how much I miss Indian food, I have a feeling this is going to be very tempting for me, but at least I have flights booked now, so I can think about it, or maybe even try to copy one of your recipes. Do you have a good korma recipe?....I know that is not really a curry, and I am a wimp for enjoying it, but I just love the almond and coconut!

    Anyway, ramble over, thanks for joining us, see you again next week? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina, enjoy your trip. Soon I will post the korma recipe.

      Delete
  3. ooh looks really tasty! Thanks for sharing and linking up with us again this week for Meatless Monday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get more comfortable with curry! This looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not tried Kerala style dishes either but your Aviyal looks and sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious – and am glad the spices are not too hard to find! Thanks for linking up with #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete