(Kerala style mix vegetable)
Happy onam to all those who are celebrating.
My son-in-law is from Kerala and his palate is very specific about every cuisine, with a fondness for good food. Apart from Kerala food, he loves many north Indian dishes too. Whenever I am making Kerala dishes, I make sure that they are perfect in taste.
Before my daughter's marriage I had no idea of kerala food. I only knew masala dosa and sambhar with three- four colourful chutneys. My husband also loves masala dosa, whenever I go to the Indian restaurant, the first thing I check is if they have masala dosa in the menu. In south indian restaurants I go for paper masala dosa, which is more crisper than masala dosa.
This photo is of onam sadya. Sadya is a term used in kerala for the full meal that is had on onam. This meal comprises several number of dishes (sometimes 10) served with rice, papad and aachar, and several chutneys. My daughter made all the dishes except aviyal, which I made. You can notice the mango pickle which I posted on by blog on 11th august.
Aviyal is one of my favourite dishes from Kerala. If I do not eat it for few months, I really crave for it. It is very colourful and its aroma is very nice with yoghurt, coconut and green chilli.
- 200 grams carrots
- 200 grams beans
- 200 grams pumpkin
- 200 grams cucumber
- 200 grams plantain
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 2 tbsp spoon grated coconut
- 2-3 green chilli
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- pinch asafoitida (hing)
- 6-8 curry leaves
- Wash and chop all the vegetables and grind the green chilli, cumin powder and coconut with little water and make a paste.
- heat the oil in a fry pan, add mustard seeds, asafoetida, after few seconds add curry patta and saute for a minute.
- Add pumpkin, carrot, plantain and beans with salt and cover it, till they are tender but not very soft, it will take 10-15 minutes.
- Add the coconut paste and switch off the gas.
- When aviyal is warm, fold in yoghurt.
I am sending this recipe as my blog entry for Friday-free for all event, and for Meatless Monday event, and for Tasty-Tuesdays event and for Hearth and Soul hop, and for weekend recipe party,and with Recipe of Week, and with Fantastic Friday, and with cook blog share,