Wednesday 21 October 2015

CHICKPEAS FLOUR ROLL/ GUJARATI KHANDVI

CHICKPEAS FLOUR ROLL/ GUJARATI KHANDVI



Some people like talking too much, when we are in their company, we will not get a chance to say our bit. One of my family friends is like that, whenever I visit her, I have never seen her husband talking. She does not give any time or chance to him to talk. Even if the husband will get a small chance to intervene in the middle of the conversation, she will try to correct him by her own style or way as if she knows better than him..... Poor husband. Though she is very good at heart and very good in her profession, I think this is just her habit.


These type of people will not listen to other people's views or opinions during the conversation, whatever the topic might be, they will be so busy either talking about their own things or giving their own views on that topic, and they are not bothered to listen to others.



I read somewhere a very good quote- “Thinking you are good in something is self-confidence but when you think that only you are the best person in something then this is your ego”. I think this type of ego is dangerous. But I also think sometimes people's profession influences the way people talk. Teachers like me would like to explain things with examples even in discussions. But all this depends on the individual or their personal habits too, I guess. Why I am writing all this-- I think I am missing that family friend, because this Khandvi is her favorite dish.



Coming to the dish, this is very simple and light dish with very little ingredients. Light because oil content is very little, still it is very tasty. It goes very well with evening tea or can be eaten as a light breakfast. It can be served as a light snack as a starter with other meals. Even though this dish is simple, it can get tricky because the cooking time is variable so care should be taken when cooking the chickpeas flour; it should be cooked enough so that it can spread thinly on a flat surface smoothly, yet not overcooked and too thick. I think it comes with practice.



RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup chickpeas flour
  • 1 cup yoghurt (dahi)
  • 1 cup water
  • salt to taste

For Garnishing
  • 3 tbs dry desiccated coconut
  • 3 tbs oil
  • 1 tbs mustard seeds
  • 2-3 green chillies thinly sliced (optional)
  • 3 tbs sesame seeds
  • Green coriander thinly sliced

Method

  • Mix dahi, water and chickpeas flour, it will look like a paste.
  • Heat wok on a medium high flame and cook this mixture for 25-30 minute till it is slightly thicker and can be spread easily on a flat tray. (Quickly check on a plate, if it is spreadable and can be rolled when cool).
  • Spread the mixture thinly on a greased tray, and leave it to cool.
  • When cold cut into strips and roll in one direction as shown in the picture.

For Garnishing

  • Heat oil in a frying pan, add sesame seeds, when they change the colour slightly, add mustard seeds, green chilli.
  • Spread on khandvi rolls and decorate with green coriander.






55 comments:

  1. We love this at home and you done it perfectly dear..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My all time favorite....Being a Gujju,I don't need to say how much i like khandvi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, my all time fav snack...looks delicious and want it right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a new one for me - very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so interesting, I love the look of roll! Yum yum! #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know a couple of people who dominate the conversation like you mentioned. They have kind hearts but... Your recipe looks very good and I like the rolls - thanks so much for sharing with Fiesta Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judi, yes, you are right. thanks for you comment.

      Delete
  7. Hi Sadhna,
    Love the idea of the chickpea flour & yogurt together. Looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & twitted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I often worry that I'm that over talkative person that doesn't let anyone get a word in hehehe. Nevertheless, this looks like such a great recipe. I would definitely shut up because I'd be busy eating these rolls :). Happy FF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi India, such a lovely comment, I am still laughing. Thanks for visiting my blog dear.

      Delete
  9. Perfectly made khandvi...You recipe sounds great..and it's one of my fav:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sadhna, I love this, I have missed hearing your stories. When I get nervous I can't stop talking, no one can get in a word, I think that I even ask questions and then I answer them too. Especially when my feelings are hurt, or I want someone to like me, I get so anxious I can't stop. And I'm sure that doesn't make them like me more! LOL This dish is so beautiful, like a work of art. It's amazing that you make the chickpea flour into a look alike for lasagna noodles. They are a stunning dish and I'm sure they taste that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks cute and yummy. appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow it's my all tym fav snack...it looks so yumm..Thanks for sharing such a tasty recipe..Bookmarked it !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh how interesting! Thanks for sharing always love to have you join our Meatless Monday linkup

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how unique your recipes are Sadhna, it always brings something special :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks very good!! Yum! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party! Hope to see you again this week!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always enjoy remembering people through the dishes they like to eat too! Your Chickpeas Flour Rolls look absolutely wonderful, Sadhna, and so delicious too! Thank you so much for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fascinating recipe - thank you for linking to #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think I've ever had chickpea flour rolls, they look delicious! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been for a long time wanting to try my hand at these. I figured they might be a bit tricky, but they are on my list of recipes to try. Thanks so much for sharing with MLLA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that sounds good Lisa, thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  21. This looks fab!!!! Way to bring it! :-) Thank you for linking up to Creative K Kids' Tasty Tuesdays Linky Party. I have pinned your recipe to our Tasty Tuesday's Pinterest Board

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yet another recipe i want to try! Thanks for linking to #frifree4all. sorry i'm late this week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never seen anything like this, but I bet it's very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another yummy recipe I would love to try! Every time I come to your blog Sadhna I learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like an interesting dish. I didn't even know that chickpeas came as a flour. It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, yes chickpeas flour is a very good ingredient to make many items in Indian cuisine. Thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
  26. I have never seen anything like this. I like everything you listed as a garnish! Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  27. really very nicely you explain this recipe i really loved it ,i also tried different version og gujju dish khandvi plz check it out.https://teenamod.blogspot.com/2019/05/khandvi.html

    ReplyDelete