Monday 4 April 2016

CUMIN/JEERA BISCUITS AND A POST ON A SPICE-CUMIN

CUMIN/JEERA BISCUITS

A POST ON A SPICE-CUMIN

#Edited- This recipe was featured on Joy's love food on 11th April 2016. Check here


Cumin seeds are very small in size and brown in colour. They are mainly used in Indian, middle eastern, north African, western Chinese and in Mexican cuisine. It is the main spice of curry powder. Cumin seeds are used because of its distinctive flavour and aroma. Once it is added to a dish, even when the dish is cold, you can still smell the aroma of this great spice. These days cumin has been globally recognised as a great spice and I have seen chefs in different cuisines using cumin because of its aromatic values and health benefits.


I remember when I was working as a teacher, sometimes I carried my lunch with me to school. I normally took things which I could eat as it is, at room temperature, because in our small department room there was no facility of heating food in the microwave. Whenever I had cumin in my food, my colleagues admired the flavour from my dish. On many incidences, they were complaining that why was I carrying food for myself only. On many instances they told me, “Your food is smelling so nice, you should bring this type of aromatic lunch for all of us”. I really liked their compliments and complaints. I still miss those days, when I was working as a teacher.



Cumin is extremely good for digestion and its many related problems, it means we should include cumin in our everyday consumption of food items. That is exactly the way, cumin seeds are used in Indian cuisine, it is used in almost all curries, lentil preparations, biryani/pilaf, in many vegetable dishes as well as in many savoury snacks and biscuits.



In Indian cuisine, we use cumin seeds in three forms, the seeds. its powder and roasted seeds powder. We lightly dry roast cumin seeds and then grind them in a dry grinder, this roasted cumin seeds powder has an awesome aroma. It is used in many savoury snacks, in vegetable/fruits salads, in different chutneys and raitas/yoghurt preparations. Cumin seeds can be roasted in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or in a frying pan.



Cumin seeds are considered to be a good source of iron, magnesium and other vitamins and minerals. There are varieties of health-benefits of this spice. Check this website-
Cumin is used as medicine in Ayurveda (Traditional healing system of India). In Ayurveda, diseases are cured with natural things available in our nature like fruits, flowers, herbs, spices etc. People in Asia are using and applying the principals of Ayurveda in their life from thousands of years.


According to this website some of the Ayurvedic health-benefits of cumin are that it dispels gas, eliminate toxins, is a mild laxative and is anti-inflammatory. Check this website -


This is a very healthy and simple recipe in which I have used whole wheat flour. These biscuits have a lesser amount of sugar and butter compared to other cookies, and I made them bite size, so they can be enjoyed more. They can be enjoyed with evening tea or coffee.

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
  • Whole wheat flour 1 and 1/4 cup/brown bread flour
  • Butter 1/4 cup
  • castor sugar 1/4 cup
  • Milk 1/4 cup
  • salt 1/4 tsp
  • Cumin seeds 1 tbs
  • baking powder 1/4 tsp
METHOD

  • Take whole wheat flour in a big bowl and mix baking powder in it
  • Then add sugar, salt, and cumin seeds
  • Add butter and mix well, then add milk, mix well and divide the dough into two parts.
  • Heat oven to 150 degrees C
  • Roll one ball on the flat surface and give any shape using a cookie cutter.
  • Spread them on a tray on a parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes, till they turn into light brown colour.






63 comments:

  1. My all tym fav cumin cookies, I love the way u used wheat flour in cookies...I can feel.the aroma of the cum in in cookies aha yummm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roasted jeera is very aromatic. I love your healthy biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flavorful, healthy and super delicious cookies. Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh I love cumin and these look so pretty too! Thanks for linking up with us for Meatless Monday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I would love to pair these will a delicious healthy soup! Thank you for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious homemade snack for tea time.
    shobhapink.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the aroma of roasted jeera...can feel the taste of this biscuit..would love to taste

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not surprised your colleagues were jealous of your lunches! I bet they smelt (and tasted) delicious. Cumin has such a lovely smell - it wouldn't have occurred to me to use it in a biscuit but it's something I definitely have to try now. Thanks for joining in with #CookBlogShare this week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy for your such a nice comment. I am very sure, you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  9. These look delicious! I love cumin but I have never tried them in biscuits so I will have to give it a try :) #yumtum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your write up on cumin! Absolutely love this spice in most Indian food tempering.
    The biscuits r so good missing India
    . http://www.mumbaitomelbourne.com/food-and-health-blog-posts/batata-vada-or-vada-pav-mumbai-style-fried-potato-fritters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharvari for your visit and the comment dear.

      Delete
  11. I love this healthy biscuit option! I've never tried cumin biscuits so will look forward to making something like these. Thanks for linking #YumTum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte for your comment. Yes give it a try, I am sure you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  12. I bet every lunch that you brought to work smelled great. I love how your recipes are so unique to what you see everyday. You make me want to try new foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sherry definitely I want you to try new recipes, LOL. Thanks for your comment dear.

      Delete
  13. I love cumin, but have never used it in a biscuit, these sound wonderful! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great read and so much fabulous information about cumin that I didn't know. I would love to try these cookies and can't wait to make them. What a healthy and flavorful option to sweets that I will never want the 'other stuff' again!!! Thanks for sharing another one of your amazing recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so nice of you dear. Thanks very much for your lovely comment.I am very sure you will enjoy them.

      Delete
  15. Sadhna, they look so good and I personally really love cumin and in a cookie it must be amazing!Thank you for stopping by and linking up at Sweet Inspiration!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My boss used to bring us cumin biscuits, too, and it smells really fantastic. I am sure these biscuits, too. You kitchen must have smelled heaven while you were making these. Such a good and healthy recipe you have and it is so nice to you to bring some at this week's Fiesta Friday. :) I hope you are having a lovely time. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit and the comment dear.I love the smell of cumin and really like these biscuits.

      Delete
  17. I love cumin, it is such a fragrant additiion, delicious! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey ! just love the blog & pictures so much. I l glad if you can check mine and give your valuable comments .

    My blog is at classifiedbird.wordpress.com.

    Much love <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shivali for your visit and comment. I will come and check your blog.

      Delete
  19. HI Sadhna,
    These biscuits are quite unique and would make a tasty and healthy alternative to conventional biscuits. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Marla for your comment and for sharing and tweeting my recipe.

      Delete
  20. Love cumin, so I love savoury snacks like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never knew that cumin had so many health benefits. I could definitely benefit from them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's an innovative one..really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. cumin jeera biscuits looks delicious, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swathi for your comment and for pinning and tweeting.

      Delete
  24. Your Cumin Jeera Biscuits look so lovely, Sadhna. I was really interested to learn more about cumin too. I had no idea it was so good for us! Thank you for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much dear for your lovely comment. Yes cumin is very good for health.

      Delete
  25. Sadhna, I know how your fellow teachers felt! LOL Each time I read one of your recipes I feel the same way! I wish I could taste it off the internet! LOL I had no idea that cumin was good for ridding your body of inflammation, we use it in our salsas and mexican foods, and love it. I will have to try some in a curry, I've never made my own curry, only had it in restaurants, and love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nikki, cumin is so good for us. Your comments are so encouraging, thanks very much dear for your support.

      Delete
  26. These look absolutely divine! I am definitely going to have to pin this one! I love how small they are too so they can easily pop into my mouth. That means i can enjoy a few more... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look very good!! Do you serve them with tea?? Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you tomorrow!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Elaine, we serve them with evening tea. Thanks for your comment and for pinning dear.

      Delete
  28. Love the biscuits Sadhna, remember the time we used to have them with chai for evening snacks. This "health" ride has ruined all goods thing :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome back Nupur. Yes you are right, but still we can enjoy healthy things.

      Delete
  29. UNIQUE biscuits Sadhna!! I like cumin but never had such biscuits. You're full of unique recipes :)
    I think they'd be wonderful with soup or salads, and I really hope to try them soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love Cumin but I never had it in a cookie! That's another wonderful recipe creation of yours Sadhna! Pinning and Stumbleing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love cumin and I love savoury biscuits so these are exactly my kind of thing. Thanks for joining in with #BAKEoftheWEEK !

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a nice post!!! Thanks for sharing a useful information about delicious food through this blog. I love to read your post. If you own a restaurant, you can quickly register your business and expand your restaurant business

    ReplyDelete