Saturday 11 July 2015

Bread Pakoda/ Bread Fritter

Bread Pakoda/ Bread Fritter


In Indian cuisine, a variety of pakoras is made with many vegetables like potatoes, onions, spinach, cauliflower. Paneer pakoras are very famous in Punjab. Punjabi's, in general, are very fond of different types of pakoras, they serve pakoras on every occasion.


During my long stay in Africa, this was one of the favourite dish amongst my African friends, those who were visiting me at my place. They have always admired this snack and were asking for the recipe. Many of them asked the same question, “what did I use for batter to cover the bread”, they thought I used eggs but they had no idea about, what else can be used because they hardly cook vegetarian meals. Some of my African colleague and friends were really interested in learning vegetarian dishes, some were trying my recipes in their homes and they were giving me feedback that they enjoyed it with their families.


When I talk about pakoras/pakodas in general, I feel like eating them, because of their awesome taste. I think, being Indian I love pakoras. In India, it is any time or every time snack. This snack goes very well with evening tea, or for any guest, for parties, functions or any other occasion to celebrate. In almost all Indian restaurants, either in India or abroad, some sorts of pakoras are definitely served as a starter.


For these pakoras old bread works well, because fresh and soft bread is difficult to handle when we dip in chickpeas batter. For Triangle shape, I sliced the bread into two pieces to give triangle shape. French loaf bread which is long and round can also be used to make these pakodas to get round shapes, as you can see in the picture above.



RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 8 bread slices
  • 200 grams chickpeas/chana flour (besan)
  • salt and chili powder to taste
  • pinch soda-bi-crab
  • 1 tbs coriander powder
  • 1 tbs mango powder(optional)
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
  • oil for frying

METHOD
  • Slice the bread in two pieces giving triangle shape or slice the bread using french loaf.
  • Add all the spices in chick peas flour and make a thick paste using little water, add soda-bi-crab.
  • Heat oil in a wok on a medium high flame.
  • Dip and fold the bread slices in the batter from both sides and slip it into hot oil.
  • Turn after 2-3 minutes, take it out on kitchen paper,when golden brown from both side.
  • Serve hot with any chutney of taste.

38 comments:

  1. Perfect fritters on a rainy day with a cup of coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a world traveler! Africa huh? Thats amazing! I had not heard of a Pakoda before, but it sounds like my kinda thing based on the ingredients. Thanks for sharing Sadhna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tina, I mentioned it in some of my posts that I lived in Africa for long time. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Looks super delicious..Love to have it with hot Ginger tea !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drooling!!! I am a pakora lover...you have tempted me so much !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love the recipes you bring to the link up! Thanks for joining us

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks soooooo inviting and tempting. Beautiful pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Singapore, we used a lot of besan to deep fried banana and it taste gorgeous! I love your fritter! So beautiful golden colour! Thank you for sharing it with us! #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I am happy that you know besan, now you can try them, they are very tasty.

      Delete
  8. Yummy fritters . I had it in my college canteen,long back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayathri, you can make, they are easy to make.

      Delete
  9. Another delicious recipe! Can you please come over to my house and cook dinner?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a nice compliment Jebbica, Thanks very much. I wish i can come to your house.

      Delete
  10. Hi Sadhna, I absolutely love pakora and can't wait to try your recipe, it sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Joy, please go ahead and try, it is very tasty.

      Delete
  11. I much have eaten this innumerable times, good to revisit through your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Bread Fritters look wonderful, Sadhna. They remind me of one of my favourite Sunday brunch treats, fried bread, but perhaps even nicer :-) They would be scrumptious with chutney - what a lovely treat! Thank you so much for sharing this tasty recipe with us at Hearth and Soul. Sharing your post around twitter etc :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much April, I also make a sweet dish in which I use fired bread. I am happy that you liked it.

      Delete
  13. love to munch on this..specially during monsoons with a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
  14. I learn a lot about Indian cuisine from your blog. Thank you for linking up to Creative K Kids' Tasty Tuesdays. I have pinned your post to our Tasty Tuesdays Pinterest Board

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum!! Thanks for linking up on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! I loved having you!! Hope you can join us again tomorrow!! Pinned to My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday Pinterest page!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummie in my tummy! :) those bread pakoda were so delicious looking! Hope to see another post at my Fabulous Friday Party this week!
    http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/fabulous-friday-party-34/
    Thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria for your comment. Yes I will join this week.

      Delete
  17. These fritters look DELICIOUS !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely recipe! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh these look like perfect comfort food! Bookmarked to try very, very soon.

    ReplyDelete